i was just thinking...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They would rip them out and really damage their ear!

We tattoo them, it takes about a minute to do and although uncomfortable for that minute, it is the best way to permanently mark the rabbit so we know exactly who they are.

Tattooing doesn't pierce the skin all the way through. Obviously, piercing does. I have never heard of a rabbit getting an infection from a tattoo (although it could happen, I suppose).

But we all know how sensitive rabbits are to punctures!

wabbitmom12 wrote:
Tattooing doesn't pierce the skin all the way through. Obviously, piercing does. I have never heard of a rabbit getting an infection from a tattoo (although it could happen, I suppose).
If you're using a clamp tattooer, it does pierce the whole way through.:nerves1That's why I prefer a pen.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
wabbitmom12 wrote:
If you're using a clamp tattooer, it does pierce the whole way through.:nerves1That's why I prefer a pen.
I hope the people who do this use some sort of pain killer or anasthetic. :shock:

Why would you use a pain killer or anesthetic? It is like piercing your ears. Do you use an anesthetic for that? Nope. I do however use preparation H to make the tattoo's cleaner. I don't have steady enough hands or nice enough hand writing to use the pen. And with he clamp, one quick squeeze, and it's over with... where as the pen takes a lot longer...

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
wabbitmom12 wrote:

Good tattooers can use a clamp style one without piercing the ear all the way through.

I am not gifted enough to use the pen and in my opinion actually cause more pain when I try to soI just keep using the clamp.

I am very good at it and know where the bloodline is in the ear and will avoid hitting it. My tattoos are very legible and they do not go through the ear. I also have not had one scream in a long time.

Sharon

TCRabbitry wrote:
Why would you use a pain killer or anesthetic? It is like piercing your ears. Do you use an anesthetic for that? Nope. I do however use preparation H to make the tattoo's cleaner. I don't have steady enough hands or nice enough hand writing to use the pen. And with he clamp, one quick squeeze, and it's over with... where as the pen takes a lot longer...
Actually yes they put a something on my ears to make them numb....

irishbunny wrote:
TCRabbitry wrote:
Actually yes they put a something on my ears to make them numb....
I just had my ears pierced 8 days ago...they did not put anything on my ears to make them numb....they just used a sterile gauze pad with alcohol on them to clean the ear so it wouldn't get an infection.

She did do it in such a way that it would numb the ear (by holding the earlobe tight with the pad until my ear went numb)....but there was nothing put on it to numb it.

I'm a wuss...I told her so - that I cried when I had my ears pierced 25 years ago.....and yeah - it hurt a bit...but only for a few minutes.

We actually had an accidental bunny ear piercing a couple of years ago. Our black holland lop, Nibbles, got bit in the ear by one of the other buns. We never knew it, til one day I was holding her and there's this perfect, tiny round hole near the end of one of those adorable floppy ears!:shock: We laughed and said "Let's put an gold hoop earring in her ear, and a little banadana on her head, maybe a little eye patch, and we have....Nibbles the Piratebun!":duel

Obviously, it was right in the middle of the "Pirates of the Carribean" movies :biggrin2:

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
Good tattooers can use a clamp style one without piercing the ear all the way through.

I am not gifted enough to use the pen and in my opinion actually cause more pain when I try to soI just keep using the clamp.

I am very good at it and know where the bloodline is in the ear and will avoid hitting it. My tattoos are very legible and they do not go through the ear. I also have not had one scream in a long time.
I can do this with my dutch, but Mini Rex and the Holland Lops I'm not so lucky with . . . For some reason I can't get a tattoo to stick in the Hollands or the Mini Rex(Eddy-mini rex buck-took four different tries with3 different colored inks before the 4th one stuck-second round with blue), but my dutch Tattoo nicely the first time with which ever color ink. I have blue, green and black. You'll have to teach us the master tricks behind this one! LOL

The sooner you tattoo a rabbit in life, the better they turn out. I tattoo my babies between 4 and 6 weeks old. Then their ears are thin enough still for the pins to go all the way through. I use preparation H on the tattoo after I get the ink on. It makes for a nice clear tattoo. :D Melinda

Holland Lops have thicker ears, so tattoos may not take as well. As Melinda mentioned, they should be tattooed when young. Pen type tattooers work well because you are inserting the ink at a slight angle, so the tattoos often take better when done properly.

You can also get a touch-up tool for a few dollars to re-punch faded pin tattoo marks.

Pam

Latest posts

Back