I need ideas

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gamommaof2

Reaction score
I might be posting in the wrong section but here is my question. I have my bunny in our bonus room and we just bought an XL Gate for him from Babies R Us but since he still has accendents I dont want him peeing on the carpet. Right now I have an old plastic table cloth and a old comforter ontop of that just to protect my carpet. Here is the picture of his area. In this picture you see just the table cloth because he already had some accidents and sothe comforter is getting washed. So what do you all you for flooring? I still have to figure out a ramp for him I may need to find a little lower table for him. I want to find a flooring that I dont always have to throw in the wash and something that is not going to ruin my floor or absorbe urine and have my bonus room smell. Any help would be great

bunnycage1.jpg
bunnycage2.jpg

Hi!

What about linoleum? It's cheap, it can be mopped and it lasts for years. It is also a nice, fairly soft, non-slippery flooring for the buns to run safely.

Marietta

We use an indoor/outdoor type carpet for out buns cage. It is a very short carpet (not plush, so there's not too much for pee to soak in). It is backed with rubber, so it mostly would stop any accidents from leaking all the way through. You could get a roll of it at home depot and cut it to the size you need.

I haven't tried this garage flooring:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...lHeader-_-TopNav-_-Flooring-_-Garage_Flooring

yet for rabbits, but, but i imagine the tiles would be easy to clean and would be easy to size for a custom space. Better than linoleum which are too slippery.

(i wrote the "slippery linoleum" before marietta's post, not arguing with her. I have just personally found my guys are afraid to run on it)

I use coroplast. It's like a plastic cardboard and I get it from a place that does sign printing for about $11 for a 4'x8' sheet. Linoleum also works well and you can often find very inexpensive remnants at flooring stores. I like the coroplast because I can fold up the sides and give it about a 2" high border to contain any messes but if you want something bigger, I'd use linoleum.

I have a 4' by 8' sheet of wallboard under my rabbits' cages and I used a slightly less textured piece of wallboard for the flooring of their shelves.
It came in two thicknesses and I have one of each.

I use linoleum on top of plywood for the bunny room and cages. Any other type of wood would work well also, but plywood was both thin and inexpensive enough so that is what we chose. We used the linoleum tiles that stick right on the wood and they have worked well despite some of my rabbits scratching or having accidents on top of it. My only suggestion would be that you make sure that the linoleum tiles are flush with one another or else the urine could potentially soak through and either warp or rot the wood.

You can also consider putting a plastic liner or tarp under the plywood for added protection, but I don't think that is necessary if you're cautious and clean regularly. The only downside that I have come up with is that the bunnies tend to slip and slide at first until they learn how to walk on a slick surface. But it seemed to bother me more than them, so I don't know if I'd worry too much about it.

If you have any questions, please let me know. And good luck!

I haven't done this yet, but what I am planning for when I get my new bunny building put up is linoleum, with a rubber horse stall may over it to prevent slipping. The rubber matting is heavy, so it doesn't slide, and is easy to wash. You should be able to cut it to size without too much trouble, too.

Thanks so much for the ideas,

I went to homedepot this morning and got a 4x6 sob board which is like only $4.00 dollars and then some peal and stick tiles. I am excited for this project. I will have to post pictures when I finish and I think Teddy will like it. So I think in total I spend $25.00. :yahoo:

Here is Teddies new home and play area, He is still adjusting to learning how to come out of his little house. Now I have to get him some toys to play with.

teddy2.jpg
teddy1.jpg
teddy.jpg

very nice!!!

have you started a blog on the forum for teddie yet? it's a good way to keep a scrapbook of all the stuff you've done.

my buns hate the slippery plastic mats I use, but are very happy that i've given them towels and blankies to help cover the flooring.
their favorites are the cotton baby blankets i bought at the dollar store.
i also have cotton flannel receiving blankets for the summertime.
every couple of weeks i swap them out and launder them.

I like the towels because they can be tossed in the wash when they get soiled.

Mats made of straw or grass (sea grass I think?) are also good.
They don't last too long with my buns cuz they chew them to shreds :p

How is Teddie with using the cage door as a ramp?
My Rosie refused to walk on it and I ended up attaching a small mat onto it with zip=ties.
Eventually I removed it (the door)completely and she just hops in and out without any problems.

Your new set up looks really nice. When my bunnies are in their outdoor (screen porch) cages in the summer, I do the same as JimD...just remove the door and they hop in and out. Mine don't like the wire ramp idea either.

For my elderbun, I place a wooden stepstool that comes bottom of the opening on the outside of the cage. Then she can jump up and down rather than over something. It seems to make it easier for her. The younger buns are good with merely jumping through the opening.

We used the plywood and sticky tile idea at our rent house last year. I thought I'd gotten the sticky pieces flush--they looked tight without gaps. When we moved in December, we lifted the wood and sections of the plywood had molded and stained the carpet. I would leave some of the plastic under the plywood just in case you have a bunny like mine--Little Bit gets frustrated and dumps her water bowl. The water was dumped in the same place over and over again and leaked its way through.

The first thing we did in the new house was rip out the carpet in the bunny room and install vinyl flooring. We kept the carpet so it can be put back later. The vinyl wasn't too expensive and we did it all ourselves--it's not perfect, but the bunnies don't mind.

In Yofi and Anna's cage, the flooring is a large plastic tray. I started them off with that, but Anna HATES slippery surfaces, and every time she'd jump up onto their resting shelf, she'd be too frightened to come down again. So I went to PetSmart and purchased a dog crate floor mat. It was made out of a felt-type of material - quite thin - with a rubber backing. And it worked great...until I accidentally put a small rip in it. That rip suddenly expanded exponentially once Yofi discovered it, so I tossed the mat and went back to PetSmart to get another one.

Unfortunately I tried for almost 2 months to get one but they never had any in stock; finally they admitted to me that it had been discontinued and they no longer sell it. Dang! So I left their cage matless, but not only did Anna go back to her old ways (sitting on the shelf and refusing to come down again, even to eat), but Yofi decided it was absolutely hilarious to pee all over it. Apparently watching pee puddles form, and then stomping and tromping through them, getting his big hind hoofers thoroughly, soppingly soaked, and then running around on the carpet in the bedroom was THE best thing in the world a bunny could do. So my search began for another mat...and I found one a couple of weeks ago when I went to Canadian Tire. They were selling barbeque mats - I'd never heard of them before - but they are the same as the crate mats PetSmart had been selling, only they don't have the rubber backing. But they DO absorb Yofipee, and they are just cushiony enough to ease Anna's weird phobias. And they're thoroughly washable. :)

(Somehow I think I coulda written all of this in just a line or two...I have to learn to condense...;))

I use industrial grade mats that business use in there entryways. You can pick them up fairly cheap from the delivery companies. We purchased a few 4'x6' for $2 each from ALSCO. Just ask them for their used mats. I line both Zamboni's cage and the ferret's cages; just cut them to size. I also used one 4'x6'for there play area until they where litter trained.

Cleaning is easy too. For the cage ones I just vacuum them and change them out once a week. Then I just wash them in the washer. For the play mat I ran it down to the car wash and just power rinsed it off and let it air dry.

Latest posts

Back