I need help...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarriS

Reaction score
My rabbit is just over a year old, he is a black lop eared and he is an indoor rabbit.I took my rabbit to the vet last week and it went great. After we got home the bun started acting very strange. he has one tooth that is over grown and the vet said it could cause problems with his eating. Before we went he would eat and drink all the time and now he is not eating at all and only drinks when i hold his water bottle for him. I am bringing him in next week to get neutered but i dont know if i should wait until then. Please help:(

I am not a infirmary Mod but I would take him back to the vet tomorrow of it was my bunny I would.

I hope a more experienced Member will come along soon.

How long has it been sense he ate?

How old is he?

Has he been using the restroom?
If he has is his output normal?

Also it may be a case of gas have you given him anything out of the norm?

Has his environment changed in anyway?

he hasnt eaten in a few hours he eats little things here and there he ate celery but only out of my hand his poop is different and he drinks his water only if im holding the water bottle, everything is the same his food and his water the only environment change he had was going to the vet and after we went there was when i started to see a change

Is your vet experienced with rabbits?

Do they plan totrim your rabbits teeth while he is under and being neutered?

I would definately be calling the vet to let them know what is going on.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

If he's not eating and drinking, he can't wait.

24 hours without food is an emergency, his gut may shut down and it will be hard to restart.

What did he go to the vet for in the first place?

I'd strongly recommend mushing up pellets, buying some Critical Care, or getting your hands on some canned pumpkin and feeding him that with a syringe if need be ASAP.

Is his muzzle wet?

He may also be in pain, but he needs to have food and water to safely give him some Baby Motrin or whatever you might have on hand.

sas :clover:

when i brought him to the vet he weighed 5.6lbs the vet said that when i brought him in to get neutered he was going to trim his teeth down. The vet seemed like he new a lot about rabbits but also told me there was no vaccines for the bun, its strange that he hasnt eaten after coming back from the vet his nose is also very dry

Ah, if he's eating a little and drinking, its not as urgent, but you'll still have to feed him Critical Care or mushed up pellets, pumpkin and whatever else you can get him to eat.

If you can get him eating enough soft food, he may be able to hold out for the Vet appointment. It is probably the teeth acting up. Is he a Holland?

he has been laying in his cage with his head basically in his food dish i get up in the middle of the night to make sure i feed him his water, i am not sure if he is a hollan i know he is a lop i just get so worried he is my baby and i want to make sure he is ok, i feel like it is his teeth because he is drinking the water out of the opposite side of the mouth where his tooth is over grown

Oh, and the stress of the visit (and the tooth) likely just compromised his immune system, making the tooth an issue a little sooner, but overgrown teeth is a common problem that will make them stop eating.

Once he stops eating, whether its the tooth or the stress, the gut gets thrown off balance making him feel much worse.

The Vet will probably want him on Critical Care before the surgery regardless. It's a nutritious powder mix.

sas

I wanted to add I am by no means a infirmary mod.

Pipp will be able to help you more then I ever could.

I know randy has alway told me hydration before nutrition.

What does his pooh look like is it smaller or larger then normal?

I'd call the vet first thing in the morning, but try everything you can to get him eating something tonight. Canned pumpkin is probably best.

That part really is important.

Pipp wrote:
I'd call the vet first thing in the morning, but try everything you can to get him eating something tonight.   Canned pumpkin is probably best. 

That part really is important.

Yes pipp is right canned pumpkin works wonders. I have used it before I am only able to find it at kroger wally world I can never locate it.

Mrs. PBJ wrote:
I would hold off on Critical care It sit very heavy in the gut. Its only been a few hours.

If the rabbit hasn't been eating much since the vet visit LAST WEEK, this is a different issue. THis rabbits major problems are caused by anorexia -- his lack of appetite.

Getting food in the GI tract is crucial.

sas

the only veggies i have to give him is broccoli and celery and the vet isnt open until 1 tomorrow what is critical care?

he hasnt really pooped much in his cage, and the only time he drinks is when i give it to him i just want to make sure i am taking every precaution to make sure he is healthy

Pipp wrote:
Mrs. PBJ wrote:
I would hold off on Critical care It sit very heavy in the gut. Its only been a few hours.

If the rabbit hasn't been eating much since the vet visit LAST WEEK, this is a different issue.  THis rabbits major problems are caused by anorexia -- his lack of appetite.  

Getting food in the GI tract is crucial.

sas

Very true Pipp is right on this one

This is critical care and ben bac and a feeding Syringe.

Just so you can see them all

You can normally only get critical care from a vet. Some members can get it directly from ox bow and i get it from the vet supply that works with the shelter or my local mom and pop store.

Ben bac is probiotic.

The feeding syringe Has a long tube on the end so you don't choke the bunny with what ever you are feeding them.

I hope this helps you.

I would also get some baby gas meds with I am not sure of the word you can get that all wally world. Pipp is very Knowable she will be able to help you more then I ever could.

Latest posts

Back