I need help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandaboy

Reaction score
So, about four/three weeks ago (I have the date marked on my calender) My bunny Finegan was out roaming my bedroom (Used to be where I kept him) I keep him in my bunny-proofed room because he does not handle being in cages or pens well. He trys to get out so much he ends up hurting himself. Anyways.... So he isn't nuetered.

I also keep my bunnies Pandaboy and Lulu in the same bedroom. They stay in a large pen. Pandaboy is nuetered, but Lulu is not spayed. Pandaboy and Lulu escaped from there pen while I was gone and while Finegan was out. And now I suspect Lulu is pregnant. I've already researched all about how to care for pregnant bunnies and there newborn babys.
Now, Pandaboy and Lulu now stay in an extra reinforced pen. And the babies would be due around next friday if she is pregnant.
I don't know if I should seperate Pandaboy and Lulu. Pandaboy is half the size of Lulu they are really bonded. I am afraid if I seperate them Lulu will get stressed out. Pandaboy deals pretty well. But Lulu does not take it well at all.

So.....if I kept pandaboy and lulu together when/if she has the babies....will he try to cannabolize them or hurt them in any way?

Thanks for your help in advance!

I would separate them now. You can put them next to each other so they lay side by side but she needs to be in her own cage. Make sure that you give her a nestbox 3 days before she is due and make sure that they cage is baby proof. If they get out of the nestbox they can wander a long way.

Roger

Not only will the dad *possibly* try to kill the babies, he will mate with the mom just hours after birth, meaning another litter of kits and the mom getting really stressed from back-to-back breeding and ill.

Good luck :)

Like RAL said, it probably would be a good idea to separate her bondmate from her for the birthing process at least. Since he is neutered, he probably wouldn't cannibalize them, but Lulu might attack him if she felt he was a threat to the kits. Keep them very close together to minimize stress for both of them, if you can keep them so that there is jsut a layer of wire between them, that would work well. Hopefully she won't be pregnant, but better safe than sorry, of course.

Even though Pandaboy is neutered, Lulu may not like his interest inher babies and she might harm him. He could also get jealous of the babies (cause they will take Lulu's attention) and he might try to hurt them.

I agree with RAL and think you should seperate them. They can be kept side by side and where they can see each other, but she should be alone with the babies.

Yes, it's been done that a bonded pair will stay together through a litter with no problems. But that is not the norm and by time you find out there are problems, it will be too late for the babies.

Yeah, and I second the opinion to baby proof the cage! They can and will crawl pretty far even with their eyes closed!

Latest posts

Back