I Lost Poker Today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pOker

Reaction score
Yep..ya'll heard me right, I lost him..

No No No, I found him-he didn't go away for long, but it was scary!

Well it all started this way; I always leave Pokers cage open so he can go inside whenever he wants if he is out for excercise time...So today was no different.. I cleaned up the BunHut, made sure there was nothing dangerous or anything like that....and I opened the cage for him to come out..He never comes out with me there so I put the little fence that blocks him from the rest of the room, and I left... I opened the blinds in the living room so I can see him through the window that connects to the sunroom...Just at that moment the water for soup started boiling so I ran into the kitchen, got the soup ready, made some pizza dip and nachos for Peter, andI returned to the window.This took about 15 minutes.. I know that I should be watching him at all times--but there is literally nothing that could harm a bunny in that room--and I always make sure I vacuum before letting them play so there is nothing on the floor that could hurt them..Well upon returning I notice-theres no bunny out there...I darted out and looked in his cage, no bunny. I looked under the couch in the bunny restricted area, I looked under the blankets, I looked under the hutch, behind the hutch, behind the cabinet, EVERYWHERE! The fence was still standing and had not even been touched--I thought there was no way he could have gotten out, but I didnt let that stop me from running into the living room, searching the house, and practically passing out from the fact that my heartbeat was going faster than a racecar...I was petrified. I yelled for Peter and I just lost it..I thought, I have looked everywhere..Where could he have gone..Where did he go? Is he hurt? I just didnt know what to do..

THEN, It hit me...My dog is a bird hunting dog, scared to death of birds...But her ability to find a squirrel 40 feet up in a tree is just amazing.. So I gave her Poker's blanket to smell...She immediately sniffed all the places that Poker has gone, but when she got to his cage, she startd barking.. I said to myself-"Great, she followed his scent right back to his cage..this is useless" But as I gave her a treat and told her to go in the other room, she started scratching the floor next to the cage, and looked at me and barked..

I thought to myself-"There is no way he is over there, there is no space between the wall and his cage, maybe about 3 inches.."

Well, I looked..I looked behind the cage and saw a very lethargic, terrified bunny.. I knew bunnies could fit into smaller spaces but this was just crazy!
I pulled the cages out, Vegas was running back and forth in his cage like a madbun..

I reached behind the cage and pulled out a lethargic fluffball.He was scared to death and his body was literally limp...
I cried...I just thought it was over.

But then-he looked up at me..He ran up my chest to my shoulder...I would have squeezed him so hard, but that would have hurt him.. :)

I gave him a craisin and checked him for any signs of a sprain or a break, or something that got hurt--but I saw nothing..He hopped around and went right into his cage, took a bite of food and hay, got a drink, and went right back to being himself..

God works miracles..

I think the dog bark scared him, and he went into protection mode..

I feel like such a terrible bunmom...I shouldve never ever left him there for those 15 minutes that I was gone..

I felt soooo terrible..

I know my mistake now, and it will never repeat itself..

For now I fixed the gap..all is well.

You just scared the poop out of me! I'm so glad Poker is OK.

I'm so glad he's ok! Don't worry about being gone for 15 minutes - he was in a safe area and you couldn't have guessed he would get back in a space like that. Plenty of us leave our bunnies loose for hours at a time - so don't blame yourself. I'm sure he's perfectly fine (but very glad you were there to get him out of a tight spot!). Also, very cool that your dog was able to help you out so much.

I got on and saw "I lost Poker" and thought he'd died and was like nooooooooo. So then I opened it haha. Don't feel bad about, rabbits have this uncanny way of getting themselves into mischief. Even ifyou were watching he probs would of still gone down there mine tend to do that with the washing machine and BBQ! Hugs for the scare! :hug:

That title had me very worried!
I hear ya about cramming themselves into tight spaces. I remember when Stuart got out and under the refrigerator... I thought he was going to bite a wire/hose and die for sure. Thank God for my rescue kitty, who found the little booger.

I am so glad you found him safe!

The title scared me!

Glad you found that little munchkin. I was astonished when Theodore (who is like seven pounds...) could easily fit under the couch and stretch out. It has like 2 inches of space from the couch and the floor. Always a relief when you find those little boogers :p

I am so glad you found him and he is ok!
I lost my hamster once..I had him outside while my mother was doing a yard sale, and put him down in this container I thought would hold him..but no he crawls out and gets lost in this huge garage and I just start bawling..
Thank god his little white butt came crawling out. I nearly died.
That is great your dog found him, even if he scared poker.
Lots of craisain now, huh!

My roommates just heard me scream "oh no!" really loudly! I scared the poop out of them just as you scared the poop out of me! So glad to read that he is okay. And don't feel bad, I leave Shino out for hours!

Goodness,what a scare that must have been

My little rat girl got out of her cage one day...someone didn't shut the door properly

i called out to her right through the house,i checked in the laundry,i called her name,Macey...Macey...then what did i see,i saw her little head poking out from around the washing basket...it took me ages to find her that day.

Glad Poker was ok though

Whew - I was worried this was going to be a sad thread. Glad Poker was found... I have a gunshy bird dog that can find a mouse buried two feet underground but hope I never have to employ her on a search for lost buns...

Denise

That title scared the crud out of me omg r u trying to give us a heart attack too LOL

I am soo soo glad u found him...dont beat yourself up about it tho it happens to all of us

LOL Everyone, thanks for the replies!!

Yeah he is a little bugger for hiding from me!
I am also very very very glad he is okay!

and SORRY for scaring all ya'll..after I wrote the story and posted it I thought--I could've reworded that..but I kept everyone guessing :)
Wasnt trying to scare ya'll!!!!

Yeah thank goodness for my doggy :D She is really great to have around.She got lots of lovins from me afterwards.

I moves the cages back more leaving around 1 inch of space after finding him, and the next day he was trying to go back there again--but I caught him red-pawed!

Thanks for reassuring me that im not a bad bunmom for leaving him out there alone.

THanks again ya'll

Latest posts

Back