I HAVE SOME ??????????????

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lassie

Reaction score
Hi,Iwould like to know how many people out there give their bunnies abath?

2. What kind of shampoo do u use for you bunny and where do u give them a bath at?

3. When u call to your bunny and tell it to cometo u then does your bunny know its name.

Hi, baths and bunnies do not mix. It is neverrecommended to fully submerge your rabbit in water. If they get dirty,like on their bottoms you can wash it off with a wet cloth.

For you question about if my bunnies know their names. Diva knows hername and might come if you call her. Fergi knows her name and will comefor rubs if you call her. Sam knows her name but runs whenever you sayit!

Fergi's mom

Well the pet storewhere I got Buster at the lady in there told me that I could usejohnson to johnson baby shampoo on him but don't get it in hiseyes.

Buster likes baths I put him in my kitchensink. The first time I did it he didn't like it but now the2nd time I did it he did good. Delia

Unless you have to bathe the bunny for somereason, it's not a good idea. Even if they get poo orsomething on them, it's best to use a damp cloth or wipe and just spotclean them with water.

I call Bo by saying "Bo Bee, come to Mommy" and he does. :)

Ihave given my bunnies a bath before, and they seemed to enjoy the bathpart of it. It was getting them dry that was the hardpart. I wanted to dry them completely so they wouldn't be allwet and cold, but their hair is so fine that it takesFOREVER. It dries in patches, so they look pretty funny whenthey are only half dry. I think you'd be best off takingFergi's advice and only wiping down the dirtyspots.

Well the petstorelady where I got him from said that I could give him a bath and I talkto the doctor when he got fix and she said it was ok. I usejohnson to johnson baby shampoo and that is better then the bunnyshampoo that they sell in the pet store.

Buster likes getting a bath but sometimes myboyfriend takes a wash cloth and cleans him.Delia

i used to give Missey a bath.. but i RARLY didit. the only time i did it was when she was sick and she had the runsand got poop all over her and she smelt soo bad. and i only gave hertwo her whole life, and it was just those times.. and i dont reallyremember what i used.. i never did it again because it took her toolong to dry off and she got too stressed out

Bo smells like hay or just really nice andsnuggly but not a bad smell ever..... well unless he toots ormarks his poo..... :X

I've given bunnies baths in the past at the storeI manage, but only if their little butts got dirty and none of themever were really cooperative about the entire situation. WhenI rescued Elvis, he was stinky and had poop on his hind feet, I usedbaby wipes to clean him up...that worked very nicely.

You just have to watch to make sure their skin doesn't dry out and theydon't get too stressed. Most animals communicate by smell, soif you bath them, that smell gets changed and so their communicationwith other animals can become a problem. My vet recommendedgiving the bunnies baths and then putting a drop of vanilla on them tomake them all smell the same to increase bonding potential.I've not done this with my rabbits, but will once they have all beenspayed/neutered. However, I have done this with my ferretsand my rats. It worked with the ferrets (although I'veintroduced new ferrets without doing this and never had a problem) butmy rats were determined not to get along. Anyway, I wouldn'tbathe your rabbit unless you have to because you have to worry abouttheir skin drying out or them getting stressed.

Jen

I dont think most pet stores know much aboutrabbits,im afraid most vets dont either.I rarely give a rabbit a bathand then its usually just the butt and feet which are dirty.They getchilled very easily.it also removes the natural oils which is not agood thing.bluebird

You know I thoughtwhen I would ask thease ?????????? that I would get a good responce butnow that I have been reading what peoplesay on here.they r not really answering my other ? that I putdown.

I have been on here alot and I read what otherpeople say and ask but I feel what I asked that to me people think itis bad that I give Buster a bath.

The people on here talk bad about the petstoresand about the Vets. Well u know what the lady where I gotBuster from has a bunny at home and she talks to me and Italk to her about Buster alot and she helped me with it.

I'm sorry if you were offended. I'msure that wasn't anyone's intention, its just that often what you aretold in pet stores and by some vets, isn't actually correct.I manage a pet store and personally it really upsets me the limitedknowledge most pet stores have but they act like they are allknowing. At my store, the animal knowledge wasn't very goodand I have to say I gave some bad advice when I first started there butI have never been afraid to say I don't know. Since then I'vedone a ton of research on many animals we carry and have had peoplecome in and talk to myself and other employees about proper husbandryof these animals. Honestly it was only with ownership ofrabbits (also ferrets, rats and reptiles) that I realized how complextheir care is. I've learned so much from this forum, bothwhat I've done right and what I've done wrong. Please do notget upset when people offer constructive criticism, it is truly just inan effort to promote proper rabbit care -- that is all anyone herewants to see.

In answer to your other questions: I don't bath my bunnies, but when Idid them at the store, they were done with Fresh and Clean (we use thatfor basically every bath given -- it smells great!)and wehave a big basin/laundry tub type of sink we bath them in. Ofmy bunnies, Basil, Sage and Daisy know their names, Elvis and Orionhaven't been with me long enough to know their names, but I'm thinkingthey will learn them eventually. Everything I have read saysrabbits will learn their names.

Again, I am sorry if you were upset by the responses you got.

Jen

Jen, I think you were a very good person to respond to this.

I also believe that even many bunny owners don't know enough about their pets.

This comes from the House Rabbit Society which is the large rescue group with chapters all over the United States:

[size=-1]
"Baths[/size]

[size=-1]Although some bunnies grow up swimming in the family pooland going on camping trips where they paddle around in the lake,most rabbits are not used to this routine and would find even anoccasional bath quite stressful. NEVER-unless your veterinarianadvises it to bring down a fever-should you give a sick rabbit a bath.Because seemingly healthy rabbits can have undiagnosed problems, it'sbest not to subject them to the stress of a bath. If your rabbit isvery badly infested with fleas, there's a good chance that he isalready compromised and may go into shock when bathed. Also, athoroughly wet rabbit takes a very long time to dry, so spot cleaningthe dirty area is better than an overall bath. Normal rabbit bodytemperature is 102. Since they are subject to heat stress, use a warmdryer, not hot."

[/size]

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/groom.html#Baths

I would guess that like me, most people were just trying to be helpfuland were concerned that someone was told to bathe theirrabbit. It's not a common thing, even and especially withillness.

Since I don't bathe Bo, those questions did not apply to me, and I did answer the final one.

I do not recommand giving Buster baths unlessnessicarry.... I have to give Flopsy bath because myveterinarian told me I had to. He has something wrong with hisend and he poos on hiself, causing huge matts of poo.I'vetried everything else but it doesn't work in his condition. I hatehaving to give him baths, I only have the water under 1 1/2 inch. Heseems to enjoy it. I bet for him its like a massage. lol. I only do itwhen the vet says its time though(about every two-three months).Between baths I use his matt comb. It doesn't work the way it does onnormal matts. I think I hate it more than Flopsy.

-Ashley.... Flopsy's slave

Lassie wrote:
....people...here...r not really answering my other ?....

...I feel...that...people think it is bad that I give Buster a bath.

The people on here talk bad about the petstoresand about the Vets.... the lady where I got Buster from has a bunny athome and she talks to me and I talk to her...alot and shehelped me with it.
Fergi's Mom most certainly did answer your other question regarding buns responding to their names.

Yes, most of us here would agree that for various and sundry reasons itis probably ill advised to bathe your bun. Like every thingin life, there is always the exception in the exceptionalcircumstances, but as a general rule most people here do not bathetheir buns by fully submerging them, your lady where you got Busterfrom , notwithstanding.

Not only do we," talk bad about the petstores[sic] and the Vets[sic],"we also talk good about them when the situation warrants it.We consider ourselves fortunate tohave a regular poster here,Jen in the above, who manages a pet store and at least two regularposters whowork in two very good, large scale , chain petstores. These people give us a remarkable insight intoindustry practices that the ordinary person is not privy to.

Most all of us have retained the services of a vet at one time oranother and know when to do so, or when to advise others of thesame. In addition, we have helped individuals find a goodveterinarian in their own locales. We have one or moreregular posters who are employed in veterinary offices and their inputis highly regarded here, as well.

Perhaps, you go might back into the archives to see what it iswehave been posting before making such rash judgments.

IMHO

Buck

Oh, Buck, reading your post made me want toclarify myself. I adore my vet. He used to raisemini-rex and he adores Bo. I value his advice as I do any ofthe people who "know their stuff" here. There is another vetwith him and I adore her also. She did Bo's neuter.

I find that I go with the most "popular" and "well-tested" advice formy guy. If I had a bunch of bunnies, I might be more apt to"try" unusual things like you are doing with the hay diet.

I also believe in the "if it isn't broke don't fix it"analogy. If he's not needing cleaned, don't clean him.... andBo does a fine job for himself thank goodness. He smellswonderful most of the time. He drags a piece of hay into hisbed so he has that smell sometimes really mild. Otherwise,he's "fresh" lol!

Lassie wrote:
You know I thought when I would ask thease?????????? that I would get a good responce but now that I have beenreading what people say on here. they r not really answering my other ?that I put down.

I have been on here alot and I read what otherpeople say and ask but I feel what I asked that to me people think itis bad that I give Buster a bath.

The people on here talk bad about the petstoresand about the Vets. Well u know what the lady where I got Buster fromhas a bunny at home and she talks to me and I talk to her about Busteralot and she helped me with it.

Delia I'm sorry if you feel people haven't been giving you the answers you want to hear.

Everyone does things differently, I don't bath Bindy, but if she gotreally poppy butt then I guess I'd have to wash her down a bit.

Most people tend to agree that bathing a bunny and getting them wet thewhole way through can casue them to go into shock or if they aren'tdried properly etc they can get sick (like us getting a chill etc )

As for your other question about does your bunny know his name when youcall him, yes our Bindy knows her name, she mostly runs to us whencalled but sometimes she likes to play games and run away and hide andchase us LOL

Delia no one is putting down your pet store lady or your vet, everyonehas different opinions on things (what makes the world go 'round :))

Please don't think anyone was putting you or those around you down.

oh my justthe thought of a rabbit in chlorinemakes me shiver thatchemical is harsh on humanskin i can imagine what itwould do to bunnyskin ewwww as for the otherquestion of bunnyscoming to a call of their name i have some thatdo and some that look at melike who ? you talking to me? but little peter knows hisname and will come at the speed oflight to his name lol he thinksa treat is waiting , if youspeak their name over and over till theyget used to the tone and soundof their name then yesi think some willcome to their name

Latest posts

Back