I have a question...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heykeesh

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just found your forum and am grateful there are places like this where I can get info!!

OK,on to the question..

I have just found one of my Rabbits appearing ill...my son isthe one that feeds and waters them daily,so I dont know how long shehas been this way.

I dont know how he didnt notice either:shock::?:X

She is VERY emaciated and nearly bald in some areas...Ibrought her in the house(she is housed with a friend, who,by theway...looks fine, outdoors) .

her eyes look a little droopybut not runny or watery,she isnt coughing or sneezing,her nose isnt running either.

She is in a carrier right now on my kitchen floor,I have given her somemolassas in her water,to encourage drinkingand maybe perk her up a bitany other suggestions?what could be wrong with her?

Welcome to the forum heykeesh!

So sorry to hear about the bunnie and so glad you found us.

I'm sure that other will soon post their concern and advice.

First I would plan to get the bunnie to the vet asap. Emaciated and balding do not sound very good.

Is the bunnie eating? Drinking? Pooping? Peeing?

Jim

No one can really tell you what's wrong. You needto take the bunny to a vet I think, they're the only ones that candiagnose it appropriately. :)

I agree that a visit to the vet is inorder. It could be something simple -- such as her dumpingher feed out and not getting enough to eat -- or it may be a serioushealth issue.

The bare spots may be fur mites that have taken advantage of therabbits currently weak immune system, or the bare spots may bebacterial or fungal infections. Since fungal infections maybe contracted by humans, it's best that you get that rabbit to the vetand find out what's wrong with it.

Pam

she is acting fine everyother way...eating andpooping good...I dont see any poo stuck to her bottom,which leads me tobelieve that there is no runny poo...

her hutch mate is fine...has no symptoms...would she be sick too if it were a bacterial or fungal infection?

heykeesh wrote:
her hutch mate is fine...has no symptoms...would she be sicktoo if it were a bacterial or fungal infection?

Probably another good reason to get bun to the vet. Depending on thediagnosis, the vet may or maynot recommend treating the other bunnie.

Thoughts and prayers are sent your way. Keep us posted!

Jim

heykeesh wrote:
...her hutch mate is fine...has no symptoms...would she besick too if it were a bacterial or fungal infection?

Difficult to say. If the other bun's immune system isstronger than the ailing one, it may not be symptomatic, yet, or ever.

You probably were hoping for more "conclusive" advice, and usually itis available here, however, the combination of symptoms you indicatethat the bun is manifesting makes it very, very difficult to even beginto guess causes and/or treatment.

While it may not be what you wanted to hear, a qualified,rabbit savvy veterinarian is perhaps the best avenue of approach tosave the little one.The implication is that the condition mayhave been present for a while and the bun is wasting away, so it maynot be the kind of problem that tends to cause an immediate demise tothe bun, like so many conditions tend to be.

You recognized the problem in time, hopefully. I wouldn'twaste a lot of time prevaricating, or looking for "Internet solutions"with the symptoms you have mentioned.

Welcome to the Forum. I'm sorry your introduction here had tobe under such angst ridden circumstances. Hopefully, we seemore of you and hear of the bunny's successful recuperation.

Buck

I would take her in to see the vet. Itcould be many things. If it turns out she's just not beeneating, you can give her rolled oats and they will help to put on someweight. Not too many but a teaspoon or so a day put a 1/2pound on my bunny in a month or so. He needed a little weightthen..... now he's a little fatty :)

Good luck, and please let us know how she does.

Latest posts

Back