I don't understand why....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunrab

Reaction score
I have a pair of bunnies that were bonded whenone Xuanxuan3mths(unnetured) n the other Tangtang9mths(neutured). Bothare male which i intially thought theXuanxuan is female thatswhy i bonded them. They are quite easy to bond in a way that they arebonded in a few days althought it took two wks for them to be abletostay together inTangtang's playpen. One monthafter the bonding,two minor fights happened and i seperatedthem since but kept them staying side by side with a fence betweenthem. Xuanxuan had been netured on 1st april. Before theneutring, they will fight through the fence so i have to put a plasticscreen to stop the fight, but 1 week after the neturing, i remove theplastic screen and they no longer fight through fence. Yesterday, itried to rebond them in a neutral area and they started chasing npulling out fur from each other and i decided to stop the bondingsession as Tangtang kept trying to get near to Xuanxuan's wounds n ifear he will hurt the healing wound. Today, however, i spotted Xuanxuangrooming Tangtang through the fence quite a few times. Theywouldsitwith their heads sticking to each otherthrough the fenceas if waiting for the other to groom theirhead. Although neither start to groom, they will just stick their headstogether andstay in the position for a few minutes.Sometimes, i feel Tangtangis even asking/waiting for Xuanxuanto come out n play with him. He will just sit next toXuanxuann look atXuanxuan for minutes. I just donunderstand why they can be so friendly to each otherwhenthere is a fence seperating them but when they areallowed to meet without barriers, the started chasing n pullingfur..... will they ever be rebonded again? I wish so much to see theimage of them sleeping, playing n eating together before thefights.Why cant they behave in the same manner as they werebefore? Do they remember each other?

Here's a pic of them sleeping side by side just now.

100_0716.jpg

Bonding two males is difficult, andbonding teenagers is worse! I would wait for them to mature a littlebit before you let them play together again. Also, Xuanxuan might begrumpy because of his recent neuter-- give him some time to get overit.

Thisarticle from the House Rabbit Society hassuggestions on what to do when rabbits don't want to bond:

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-4/tough-bonding.html

Let us know how it goes.

After neutering it takes some time (4 - 5 weeks)untill the hormons ease down really so just have some patience... itwill just take a few weeks longer but I believe they can be bondedagain looking at that picture and the fact they groom eachother throughthe fence.

I myself have 2 male neutered rabbits living together without any problem.

Good luck,

MJ

Thks for the link Yulipo.

Orion94nl: glad to hear that u have 2 netured male living so happilytogether. This boost my confidence of getting them bonded togetheragain.

Nonetheless, i decided to start the rebonding process in two weekstimes so tat Xuanxuan will have a one month rest. Sometimes, i feel sosad for Tangtang. He likes to look at xuanxuan and wait for him togroom him through the fence but that Xuanxuan will only groom him as nwhen he like. Today, Xuanxuan groomed him too roughly on the head andTangtang flinch but returned to put his head on the fence to letXuanxuan groom him. Xuanxuan however, just goes away, leaving Tangtangwaiting..... and tat silly boy waited for about 5mins before movingaway to play toys.

Latest posts

Back