I am a bunny's new mama!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
:highfive::inlove::balloons::stork::party::bunny18:heartbeat::party0002::big kiss:
Pardon all the icons and I hope it's okay that I started a new thread to say I GOT THE BUNNY!! http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9399299

We went to the shelter right after work and there was a bit of a line in the office, but I could see him in the adjoining room! I could barely contain myself and finely got to go in to see him after 15 minutes of waiting. I had worried all day that someone would come in this morning and adopt him. The volunteer had a bit of trouble getting him out of the cage, but as soon as the bunny was put in my arms, he stopped struggling and let me hug him, kiss him, beep his nose and pet his ears.

We went into the "getting to know you" room and I sat on the floor and he wouldn't leave my lap! Just sat there and soaked in the immense amount of love rays I was sending his way. Let me say, he is one SOFT bunny! My goodness, such thick, luxurious fur! You couldn't even see the collar they had on him! He's white with agouti spots, has an agouti muzzle but a dot of white on his nose (how cute is that?). Sometimes one of his ears hangs down like a lop's ear. His eyes are huge and he is absolutely gorgeous and sweet as can be. It was NOT a difficult decision to make!

His history: there was some confusion as to how old he is, one thing said three months (in which case he's gonna be a biiig boy) and one thing says "adult". His former owner dropped him off and told them his name (Belvadere... not anymore!) but no other info. I'm going to bring him to the vet for a check up and hopefully they can say how old he is. He's not been neutered yet, but will be! And they told me he's litter box trained! I could see that from looking in his cage. Also, he's been in there since the 4th, and apparently bunnies go very quickly at this shelter. He was there longer than most bunnies. Considering how wonderful he is, I think this means fate was waiting for silly old me to see his Petfinder ad and come in for him! E2 is the one who pointed him out to me only yesterday (thank you!).

We filled out all the adoption papers and paid the whopping $5 charge, but they said we could leave him there and get him tomorrow so I can get all his stuff ready. They said they'd make sure no one else adopted him by mistake!

His new name is Rhiordan Blackberry Bean, called Rory. I've wanted to name my bunny Rhiordan since I heard the name in 2000! He seems to be the perfect bunny for the name. His middle name, Blackberry is for my favorite Watership Down bunny and Bean is his last name! Hehe, he's Mr. Bean!

Anyway, my apologies for this being so long, I'm just so excited and wanted to share everything with you all. I can't wait to bring my Rory home tomorrow and watch his personality develop. I hope he has a long, happy life with me!
:angelandbunny:

PS: Pictures coming tomorrow!

AK12.9399299-2-pn.jpg

How cute is little Rory?! He's adorable! I'm so very very happy for you!

Aww...congratulations to you AND Mr. Bean! :D

Can't wait to see pictures of him in his wonderful new home! :)

That's awesome! Congratulations on your new family member. I am so glad that you were able to get Rory. He looks very cute, esp. with those airplane ears he seems to have in the Petfinder photos. I am relieved to know that at least I know that one of the bunnies in the Fairbanks shelter is going to a good home (I wish I could take them all...)

If you need a vet in Fairbanks, the Mt. McKinley Animal Hospital is good with buns, as is the
Aurora Animal Clinic. I also had to take Edward to the After Hours Veterinary Emergency Clinic Inc. one evening, and the vet there was really great too (fortunately, nothing was really too wrong with little Edward...).
[size="-1"]
Tomorrow will be a very happy day for you when you get to bring him home.

[/size]

Thanks everyone! :biggrin2: I went and got Rory lots of stuff this evening and have everything all ready for him now. This is what I bought for him:

-timothy hay
-orchard grass
-alfalfa hay (smaller bag)
-ZuPreem Nature's Promise Premium Rabbit Food made from timothy hay (this seemed to be the highest quality pellet and was the most expensive)
-Petromalt meant for cats, didn't see any for buns
-pine cones for chewing
-letter blocks for chewing
-little stuffed rat toy from the cat section
-blue ring toy from the dog section
-6 pack of neato ferret toys (different types of balls)
-litter box
-pet taxi
-cute ceramic food bowl with dragonflies
-big glass water bottle (I use glass for all my pets, it just seems healthier for some reason)
-Nature's Miracle pet stain and odor remover, just in case of accidents
-two sided brush
-box of vinyl gloves for cage cleaning (I'm a wimp)
-Yesterday's News for the litter box (already use this in the rat litter boxes)

Anything I'm forgetting? I also made him a hay rack out of an empty gallon jug! Of course I will also start him on fresh foods but want to give him a few days. The shelter said they just switched him over to a new type of food the day before yesterday (and who knows what he'd been fed with his previous owners) and since there's already been so much change, I can just feed him the pellets I choose. Also, I'm going to get him a leash and harness, but there's already snow on the ground here and they were SO expensive so I'm going to see if I can't get them cheaper in WA when I go see my mom at Christmas.

E2, my ratties go to Mt. McKinley. I really like it there, the vets are great and one of the techs babysat my rats a few months ago. My boy rat Colby was neutered there. Good to know about that emergency vet being reputable, too! I'm so glad that at least there's a decent vet up here!

Can't wait to go get Rory tomorrow....

The harness I have is expensive most places too but TSC (Tractor Supply) if you can find one - was WAY cheaper! like by $5. I thought that was pretty good!

There's no catnip in that rat toy is there? I don't know how that would go over with a bunny.... :dunno:

Camera! Don't forget the camera!!!!! :biggrin2:

Hey there...so I want to hear EVERYTHING!!! :happyrabbit: I am sooo happy that you were able to get him.

You sound like you have a pretty good list of stuff there. He is sooo beautiful:inlove: I can't wait to see more pictures and hear more about Rory...

Congrats on your new adorable addition! We can't wait to see some pics of him settled in his new and wonderful home.

I just wanted to point out that petromalt use for bunnies is a little controversial. Some say it sticks to the hairball and makes it harder to pass. There may be some more natural options out there(s/a pumpkin etc.).

SnowyShiloh wrote:
-Petromalt meant for cats, didn't see any for buns

Oh, I remember seeing the thread you posted when you were thinking of getting him, and I just fell in love with his looks. I'm so happy to see that you were able to get him after all...can't wait to see more pics of this gorgeous guy! :inlove:

Congrats on being a new bunny mom, and big big hugs and bunny kisses to Rory!!!

Hi everyone! We got home with Rhiordan about 45 minutes ago! He seemed a little scared on the car ride in that his eyes were open very wide, but luckily the drive was short. He didn't want to come out of the carrier at first so I left it open on the floor and talked to him and petted him. He didn't seem too scared and was just flopping around and occasionally poking his head out the door. He started digging in the blanket though (Cinnabun did this when he was about to pee), so I tried taking him out again and he came out great! I snuggled him for a couple minutes and he was so good, not tense at all. I put him in his litter box and now he has hopped around, bathed, eaten hay and is now flopping with one ear up and one ear down so they're at a 90 degree angle. So cute! Here are some pictures:

IMG_1292.jpg

IMG_1294.jpg

Also, jordiwes, thanks for the tip about the Petromalt. I wasn't sure and bought it anyway figuring I could bring it back. Last night I posted a thread about it in the Health and Behavior section and am hoping for some more responses.

More pictures coming soon! Isn't he adorable? I can't believe how soft he is and his tail is huge and floofy...

Phinnsmommy wrote:
You are both very beautiful
:yeahthat:

He's sooooooooooooooooooooooo cute!!!! Absoultly adorible!!! Sounds like he's a sweet heart! Can't wait to hear more (and see more)! :p

Latest posts

Back