HRS Podcast

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
havent listened yet but from what i've read of the title it seems a little... presumptive?

i've seen some people on here with the most incredible outdoors setups!

including one where it was an indoors shed with tunnels and stuff that went ourside to an incredible and secure, better than most of our indoors hutts...
(if this is you sorry for forgetting your name, please post more pix :) )

I listened to it and I am going to share what I have already shared with Crys...

The title leaves very little to assume. This podcast is highly biased and left me quite disappointed. There definitely is some truth to the potential dangers of having a rabbit housed outdoors but what the podcast omitted was giving as much info about the potential dangers indoors. How many times have we seen rabbits be electrocuted, eat something dangerous, be dropped and suffer critical injuries, be just as neglected as an outdoor rabbit, get fleas, get fly strike, etc etc. You need to be very aware of potential dangers no matter where.

I sincerely hope and believethat most RO members are more open-minded when it comes to indoor vs outdoor rabbits. I understand that we each have our own opinions, so let's agree to disagree when necessary. I get that having an indoor rabbit is ideal, but I do not feel having an outdoor rabbit is cruel.

Take Maybelle for example.

That girl is no longer caged. She has full run of the yard at will, from morning til nightfall. She naps and sleeps in the shed, seeking cover during natural times of the day when predators abound. She absolutely loves being able to forage for her own snacks and binkies more than she ever has in the past, including when she was indoors. She lounges, she sprints, she hops, she crawls... She even does the dead bunny flop now. She has multiple hiding spots where she can easily hide when spooked. She even enjoys chasing cats out of the yard. Maybelle gets to use her natural instincts and behaviors. She also gets natural sunlight and thus her day revolves around the sun, not around household lighting. Of course, we do not have as many predators as most of you have so that does work in our favor. I certainly wouldn't easily suggest anyone give their rabbit free-run of the garden, especially if they live in areas where raccoons, foxes, coyotes, etc abound. I still think that there are ways to make having an outdoor rabbit proper.

I absolutely hated the tone of the podcast. Saying things like "housing a rabbit outdoors is cruel" and repeating "cruel"is stating it as a fact and not an opinion. That irked me greatly. I was particularly annoyed with the part about comparing a child to a rabbit. A child is obviously not meant to be outdoors. Do not make the mistake of forgetting what rabbits actually are. Rabbits are animals that we, humans, decided to domesticate. They originate from the outdoors. They are physically built for the outdoors. Their hind legs are built to run, their coats are built to make them warm for the winter, etc etc.

In my opinion, no matter where your rabbit is, it needs the same kind of care. I feel this podcast goes against part of the RO message but on the other hand, I do feel it is important to know what the potential dangers are and this podcast does have some other positives about the importance of social interaction and their intelligence level etc... Again, just clarifying, I in no way think that RO is advocating that ALL rabbits need to be housed indoors. This podcast is not made by RO and I think RO could make a much better one actually :wink

In the end, it is my opinion that rabbits can be as happy outdoors so I do hope people will take the positives from the podcast and not accept the "Outdoor Rabbits: Cruel and High-Risk" theme too easily. Owning a rabbit can be cruel no matter where you house it if you do not love it enough to protect, nurture, and care for it. :)

PS: Thanks Crys for sharing it. It does have some valuable information and the reminders are helpful. I do think RO has a better policy when it comes down to it. THE HRS is merely stating its stance on it and I choose to disagree with them. :)

i think a lot of it was presumptive as well.

i agree that 99% of people shouldnt house rabbits outside.

but there are some people who are highly dedicated who care for their rabbits just as much outside as they do inside.

the people who dont notice their rabbit having fly strike or a broken leg outside are just as likely to not notice these things inside the house. (he said himself his indoor bunnies got fly strike)

a lot of those issues he spoke about were more "negligence" than a symptom of being inside.

What bothered me was he was that he also was against letting rabbits play outside unsupervised. I can't be outside with Gus for 4-6 hours every day (the amount of time he's often out in his pen). It's right off the dining room (where my computer is) and has ample hiding places for him. Plus it's so close to the house and such a tight space, I doubt it would be easy for a hawk to swoop in at all.

Incidentally, the only time we've had a mishap is when hubby was out in the yard with Gus and cat came into our yard. I think the only reason it came in was BECAUSE hubby was out there!

I believe in taking precautions, but I'm really against this sort of emotional guilt tripping. Dogs get hit by cars, should they never be allowed outside?

And the bit about allowing a two-year-old to play in traffic, was just too much for me. Letting your rabbit play in your backyard is NOWHERE near the same. To me, it's the same as allowing your two-year-old to play in your backyard. Would you leave them completely unattended? No, but they certainly can play in a backyard that's been made safe for them.

JMVHO

Rue

It was quite biased, but not any more than you would expect from the House Rabbit Society as they do advocate for indoor housing. I did find the guy boring to listen to.
I do think that rabbits can enjoy living outside, but precautions do need to be taken. When I live, it is really too cold for rabbits to be outside for several months during the year. The temperature also fluctuates quite a bit (we can get 20C difference in 2 days), so that can be bad for rabbits. However, since there are people who can't have their rabbits inside, they do need to know good options for housing. It seems that there is lots of info for indoor housing for pets, but for outdoors you just get the tiny hutch from a pet store. I don't let my rabbits outside much, but I do have a small pen (fully enclosed) that they can hang out it and I can see it from the couch. I have seen a cat climb the porch when Korr was out, so would not be comfortable having them outside in an open area unless I was there. I do take them out on the harness and leash during the summer.
I think that there needs to be good resourced for those who do keep their rabbits outside. Alienating people is not a good way to help them. We should be wanting to help rabbits no matter where the live and not just try to push one agenda.

Latest posts

Back