How would I know if I were allergic to hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maherwoman

Reaction score
Sorry to ask this, but in my defense, I have tried to research it, but find that the only things that come up in a google search for either "allergy to hay" or "hay allergy" come up with Hay Fever, which really has nothing to do with hay. Not only that, but just for giggles, I looked at the symptoms for Hay Fever, and there are some I really don't have.

Argh...does anyone have any information they can give me about symptoms that might tell me if I'm actually allergic to HAY?

The thing is I've had a cold for the past week, and it feels different than other colds or flus I've had (especially because it's not waning or worsening, but staying quite the same). I've basically got a watery, runny, congested nose and a cough, occassional low fever, and frequent bouts of sneezing. I know I'm not allergic to Bunny herself, because I'm not allergic to cats, and they have the same dander.

Can anyone help me with this??

Another thing...If I AM allergic to hay, how can I help the situation? Bunny lives in our room (until I can be absolutely sure the cats won't mess with her), and there isn't really anywhere else in the house she can go. Would switching to Alfalfa hay help?

ARGH!!!

Hi maherwoman!

I have hay fever, and find that I am allergic to all types of hay as well (including alfalfa, so I don't think switching to it would be of any help). Whenever I handle hay I get itchy watery eyes and coughing and sneezing.

When I first got my bun, the lady at the store recomended I use hay on the floor of my cage, which was a big problem in triggering my allergy as my bun also lives in my room.I now use a piece of wood for the floor of my cage, and only have a basket of hay in the corner, so I am no longer handling large amounts of hay. WhenI do handle the hay, I use latex gloves and put one of those small masks on, so I don't breathe any of it in. I have found this to be a big help in reducing the symptoms.

Here is a link which you might find useful:

http://www.ontariorabbits.org/beginners/allergy.html

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Ps. Your doctor can also perform tests to see if you have hay fever or are possibly allergic to your rabbit. I have had skin tests done to test which animalsI am allergic to. I was mainly allergic to cats and only mildly allergic to rabbits.

I am allergic to everything (literally). I found out exactly what i was allergic to and how bad each thing made me react by finding the nearest allergy clinic. This was no fun because I am only 14 and hate needles. I was pricked 50 times on my back with needles that were dipped into a solution that would have different elements, hays, plants, animals, and food on them. If I reacted they would measure how big the reaction was (Big red lumps) and I would get a chart. On my chart if I had a 5 then I was highly allergic (Horses, all types of hay and grass, dogs, cats, oak trees, flowers, dirt, mold) and if I was marked a 1 then I was only irritated by these things (cats, rabbits, cedar). There is nothing you can do but take allergy medicine or get injections every week to cure your allergy symptoms though this wont get rid of it. And if they are not that bad than most people just live with it.

A few months ago we bought a big bale of straw and hay from a horse feeds shop. The straw and hay were so dusty when I was cleaning them out. It made me get very short of breath (asthma) and made me have some sort of a cold. It wasnt like a proper flu cold either. I could really feel the dust etc in my head.

Although I am not allergic to hay/straw etc, it might be the type of hay/straw you are using. We now get bags of hay/straw from a pet shop which is dust free. And stated by the pet shop owner, he gets his hay from the same horse feeds shop - but somehow he makes it dust free. I wish I knew how he does it, as the hay straight from the horse feed shop is MUCH cheaper!

Ok, cool...thanks, guys! The good news is my cold is now seriously waning, so I don't think I have the allergy I had so badly hoped I didn't have. I mean, Bunny's a part of the family! Couldn't just decide to oust a family member!! :(

Latest posts

Back