How to prevent ear scratching post surgery on a lop

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClarBun

Reaction score
Clarence is healing from his PECA-BO surgery and has a big, long incision from the opening of his ear down the side of his face to right above his chin.

He is 5 days post surgery and last night we noticed the incision has a spot that is soft and red and irritated, right where his lop ear bends to meet his face. I emailed a pic to the vet afraid it may be getting infected and she said its not. And we would like to keep it that way.

We think its a result of him scratching.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep him from scratching his ear with his hind leg?

Thank you,

What about a soft cone/e collar? You would need to make sure he still eats and drinks ok with it on though.

We tried this. It was a nightmare. I think it even irritated the wound more by pushing his ears forward a bit.

The only other thing I can think might work would be a donut collar, but I don't know if it would stop him from scratching near his ears or not. If you try it, I think you just need to be very careful that it doesn't restrict his breathing at all, and that it can't get caught on anything, but if it does that it can break away easily just in case it does get caught on something.
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/showthread.php?t=32808

Another thought might be he needs increased pain meds. If the area is still painful, that might cause him to scratch at it more. I think you mentioned on your other thread that he's on meloxicam. You could talk to your vet about increasing that, or maybe adding in tramadol.

Latest posts

Back