How To Create An Avatar

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunnyMommy

Reaction score
For those of you who want to enhance your uniqueuser identity, the "avatar" is the way togo! ;)

If you've never heard this term used before, an"avatar",plainly speaking, is thatlittle picture just under your username. Some people like thegeneric avatars (the ones already created that you just click on), butothers, like me, like to get creative andhave an imageindividual to just us to represent our online persona.

If you're one of the creative types, here are step-by-step instructionsto help you make your avatar a reality:

1) First, you obviously need a photo image to getstarted. This could be one that you took with a digitalcamera, scanned in, or even "lifted" off of the web. It needsto be saved on your computer and it needs to be saved in a ".jpeg",".gif", or ".bmp" format.

To save the photo to your computer (thanks,M&SMom!): Right clickon the picture you want to use, then press "save picture as" andit will save it to your computer. Remember where you save it!

2) Next, you need to open any photo editing software that youhave available and are familiar with, and you need to resize the photoso that it's NO LARGER than 64 x 64 pixels.Also, the total file size of the photo cannot exceed 6K.Thismay require some cropping and maybe even a little color enhancement toensure that the photo retains clarity when it's resized.

3) (This part of the instructions also courtesy ofM&SMom):Thengo to the top of this window and click the "my account" button.On that screen there will be a bunch of tabs, look for and press theone that says "avatar". Then next tothe little white box type thing there is a button that says"browse"; click it and find the picture on your computer thatyou wanted as an avatar, then click "upload" and you're done!

That's all there is to it! Easy, huh? :D

Now get to work and create an avatar that youcan be proud of and we canenjoy!

Good luck!

--Bunnymommy

WOW! You're Amazing! Excellent work! Will definitely copy word-for-word.

The only step we need is how to direct people to that photo editingsoftware. I believe it can be done through photoshop.com free ofcharge, but MyBunnyLovesMe can tell us, or it's on my other computerwhere I can get to tomorrow and complete that step.

:)

We're so lucky to have you here, BunnyMommy!

-Carolyn

Although the online editing software is certainlyan option, most people should have photo editing software ontheir computer, either that came with the camera/scanner or at the veryleast through Windows (which is broadly user friendly).

In any wise, we certainly can put a plug in for the online software forpeople who may not be familiar with the options local to theircomputer. :cool:

Posting Pictures Help!! (Sorry I've been away for a few days! I'm late I know!! lol)

Alright, first of all, scan or upload your pictures to your computer!Save them as a jpg file and save them onto your desktop for easyaccess!

Open AdobePhotoshop (most computers have this program, if you dont, youcan download it for free at adobe.com I believe, look for it on googleor something) and open your picture to the program.

To resize your image, go to IMAGE (the top bar beside File, Edit etc)go down the list until you see Image Size. A box will appear withnumbers that you can change. Most digital camera pics come up as1200pix so changing it to 750 makes it a nice size.

Save the picture by going to FILE, SAVE AS and change the name just soyou know it will save as a new size. Again, save it onto your desktopfor easy access!

Open your browser and go towww.photobucket.com and registeryourself (its easy and free) then sign yourself in.

Once you sign in, you'll see a button that says "browse" and beneath that "submit"

Hit browse, go to your desktop and double click on your bew resizedpicture and hit SUBMIT. It will upload to the PhotoBucket image galleryand all you have to do is copy and paste the IMG link (theres also HTMLand TAG but you dont need those) to the post you are making.

And that's it!! It seems long but its really simple!!! :) Good Luck and Happy Posting!!

This is great stuff! :dude:

We're getting this, Ladies!!

With a little cutting and pasting, quoting from you both, it's going to be a great tutorial!

BunnyMommy: How do you enhance a picture? You've done it with Buck's,and I'm wondering how I could do it with Tucker's avatar because it's alittle blurry and the picture that it came from isn't. I've seen youmanipulate the sharpness and it's excellent. Would you share yoursecret?

-Carolyn

Carolyn, you scare me on how much we're on thesame page sometimes!!! :shock: I was just sittinghere thinking about how I would like to enhance Tuck's avatar, but Ididn't want to offend either you or Pam or give you the impression thatI was trying to take over!!!!! I actually was just thinkingaboutit!!! I have really good intentions, but sometimes people misinterpret and itgets me into trouble. LOL!

I'll figure out a little blurb to explain enhancing.

One thing I want to clarify. Make sure that you understandthatMyBunnyLovesMe and I are really talking about twodifferent concepts in our posts. My post was aboutcreating avatars. MyBunnyLovesMe's post (anEXCELLENT one with very clear instructions) isaboutinserting photos in apost, so really the text of the two different posts shouldn't beintermixed. As a matter of fact, I think that both areneeded, and maybe they bothcould be pinned up top or one postcould be created with both posts inserted as I've noticed that a lot offolks have been asking questions about how to post photosalso. MyBunnyLovesMe's instructions are veryhelpful.

(P.S. I didn't edit this before I hit SEND; hope it makes sense. :? )

EDITED TO ADD: See, I just saw amistake! Correctingit now.

Dearest BunnyMommy,

I understand completely now. Thank you so much for pointing out thedifferences of what MyBunnyLovesMe was instructing and what yourinstructions are. Most definitely they are apples and oranges, and it'sanother excellent idea about having two sections on it. Thanks a lot!You understand this much more than I do. You're obviously quiteadvanced.

Now.

That Avatar of Tucker is Absolutely Amazing! That's my Bayy-Bee! Youcan see how shiny he is! They used to call his breed Polish...as inshoe polish because their fur is so shiny. We Americanized it over hereand say Polish as in the people who live in Poland.

Look at the Shine on My Baby! Thank you, Thank You, THANK YOU! I'll update it tomorrow as this system is unable, I think.

WOW! :shock: What a Great Job! :cool:

BunnyMommy, you spook me too because we're so on the same wave lengthat the same time. It's awesome, and always catches me by surprise.

Love to Sherman.

-Carolyn

LOL! So glad that you're pleased with it. :)

Fascinating history on the origins of the breed's name!

God, I'm so frustrated, BunnyMommy! I'vetried everything to get the new image of Tucker on the avatarthatyou had brightened and sharpened and no matter what I do,it keeps giving me an Error saying: Please specify image file on yourcomputer that you want to use as an avatar.

I've already put in the new address, with the .bmp format, I see it onthe computer, the old one was in .jpg format and I'm wondering if thatwould make a difference. I don't think it would, but it'sjust not letting me update it.

How frustrating! Do you have any suggestions?

-Carolyn

Hey, Carolyn! Don't fret. Let's see if we can figure it out.

Now, the new file should be a .jpg file. Is it possible that you're not naming it correctly when you go to upload it?

It should be the path of where you've stored it on your computer andthe name of the file itself is Tucker3avatar.jpg . It's alsopossible that the file name might be case sensitive. See ifyou've cased it as above.

Try again making sure that the file name is correct and I'll wait here to see how it turns out.

I just got to thinking. Are you sure that you downloaded the new avatar photo?

Try these instructions:

First, save the new photo to your computer. To do this, rightclick on the new photo, then press "save picture as" and it willsave it to your computer. Remember where you save it!

Then go to the top of this window and click the "my account"button. On that screen there will be a bunch of tabs, look for andpress the one that says "avatar". Thennext to the little white box type thing there is a button that says"browse"; click it and findTucker's new picture whichshould be the path of where it's saved with the file nameTucker3avatar.jpg. Click "upload" and you're done!

I'll check back again in a few minutes.

It said it took, but I don't see it yet! Will send this and see.

I don't see it! Will sign out and come back.

Nope, it's not the clear crisp picture that you did. I see your picture in the Avatar file, just not updated under my name.

There may be a slight delay on your end because of network issues. It's definitely uploaded because I see it.

Keep hitting REFRESH and it should come up in a couple of minutes.

P.S. Are you on dial-up or DSL?

Well, I'm glad to know that. I don't see a Refresh button, but I'll give it time as you say.

Thank you for sharing your expertise!

-Carolyn

P.S. I LOVE the new picture you added of SirSherman!! That's my favorite sofar!

Oh, okay! lol! REFRESH is that littlepicture up in the menu bar between FAVORITES and TOOLS that looks likea piece of white paper with two green arrows on it ... or ... if you'reon a Windows-based computer you can hit F5.

Oh, thanks for the compliments on Sherman'spicture! You can't imagine what I had to go through to gethim to pose for it! LOL!

Back