How to clean bunny diarrhoea from carpet?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hone

Reaction score
Hey all, I need some help. There's old rabbit diarrhoea and poop stains on my carpet that have been there for years. A brown discolouration. Is there a way to properly clean it off?

My carpet is very short, like a carpet tile texture. My rabbit has been free roaming in my fully carpeted room for the past few years. He's my first bunny. At the beginning, I gave him pellets that weren't a good brand, way too many greens, and he had diarrhoea. I cleaned the poop up as best I could with advice from online, like scraping it, but no idea how to deal with the stain. So kinda just left it (I have a very dark carpet)

These days there's no bunny diarrhoea happening, unless I accidentally mess up his greens schedule, which I did yesterday. Giant brown thing on the carpet I stepped on after I woke up 😨 so yeah, last straw I guess. How do I properly clean my carpet from the stain it leaves behind? I've had enough of avoiding this problem bc I have no idea how to clean it lol

I would imagine any pet carpet cleaning product would help to some extent. Not sure about the old stain, but recent ones should come out. The sooner it's cleaned after it happens, the more likely no stain will remain.

A quick search came up with oxiclean or simple solution pet carpet cleaner. Though this is other pet owners opinions and not something I've tried. Whatever you use, just make sure it's pet safe, and/or no harmful residue remains in the carpet.

We use a spray on cleaner--spray, brush the area with a stiff brush and wipe down with a wet rag and cover with a towel til dry. It works with our Danes and takes out blood also ( one has an open area at the end of his tail)--however, it may not work all that well with old stains and you'll have a clean patch on the treated area. I also have a Hoover Carpet Cleaner that can do a whole room so there are no "clean areas" that stand out as the whole thing is done.

3% - 12% hydrogen peroxide should remove the stain, including the old stains, IF the stains aren't first set by other cleaning products (then it gets tricky but still not impossible).
Spray H2O2 until thoroughly wet, cover with clear plastic wrap, weight the plastic wrap down to prevent the H2O2 from off-gassing so quickly. Let that sit for a couple hours and see if it's gone (it probably will be). If the stain persists, repeat the process until it disappears.
IF the carpet is WOOL, disregard what I just suggested and only use vinegar which should (usually) remove the stain but it might take dozens of times, whereas the peroxide is usually a one and done type of thing.

Back