how soon to neuter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tessie

Reaction score
My babies are 3weeks old one is a girl one is a boy,I plan on keeping mom and babies. When should I neuter the boy?:?

Shaded Night Rabbitry wrote:
It's cheaper once the testicles have dropped. Much safer, as far as I know, too.
So when does this happen. How soon can baby boy mate with mom and sister? I will not let that happen .

I'd start watching closely or put him in an adjoining pen from nine weeks or so to be overly safe, but 12 weeks or longer is more normal.

I think it depends on the breed, but the breeders may correct me on this.

My Flemmies' dropped at five and a half months. Love to hear from others re: usual times for each breed.

sas :bunnydance:

I have seen boys drop anywhere from 8wks (rare) to 4mnths. All have been small breeds.

they will drop at 12 weeks. that is when you want to get them in their own cages until he is old enough to be neutered. I am not sure how old they have to be. I think its six months? Most breeders don't neuter their rabbits.

Thank you So They don't breed till six months :expressionless

I had a lionhead buck drop at 9 weeks once. I know this because of the surprise litter I got 31 days later.

Now I move the bucks out by 9 weeks with the smaller breeds (some mamas love to have the kits longer and I let them keep them if they want).

Duh :)I read the posts to early this morning . 6 months to neuter 9 to 12 weeks pull from mom .

Got it :D

And i want to ask, the nesting box is getting smelly. Babies are 2 weeks old is it all right to clean and put fresh straw?

Tessie wrote:
Duh :)I read the posts to early this morning . 6 months to neuter 9 to 12 weeks pull from mom.
Separate the boy once he reaches weaning age; 8 weeks or a little longer. Just to be on the safe side. Many vet's like to wait until they are 6 months to alter, but some will do it if the animal is healthy and his testicles have already dropped. My Netherland Dwarf, Felix, had his testicles drop at 3 months old!

Happi Bun wrote:
Tessie wrote:
Duh :)I read the posts to early this morning . 6 months to neuter 9 to 12 weeks pull from mom.
Separate the boy once he reaches weaning age; 8 weeks or a little longer. Just to be on the safe side. Many vet's like to wait until they are 6 months to alter, but some will do it if the animal is healthy and his testicles have already dropped. My Netherland Dwarf, Felix, had his testicles drop at 3 months old!
i was just thinking I have sexed many rabbits and G pigs .I worked 10 years at a pet store and I was the only one that could .Come to think of it none had testicles that i saw .OK now for a superdum question what do thier testies look like :?I'm sure its not like dogs or cats that would be to easy.

Do you know what a vent is? the vent is the area around the rabbits private part, there will be a ball on each side of the vent.

Yes its safe to clean the nest box out put fresh hay in there, also are the babies using a crook pot or a drinking bottle? put a crook pot in there cage for now.

Best to seperate the boy at 9 weeks, ive had Netherland Dwarf Bucks who droped there balls at 8 weeks.

T.A Bunnies wrote:
Do you know what a vent is? the vent is the area around the rabbits private part, there will be a ball on each side of the vent.

Yes its safe to clean the nest box out put fresh hay in there, also are the babies using a crook pot or a drinking bottle? put a crook pot in there cage for now.

Best to seperate the boy at 9 weeks, ive had Netherland Dwarf Bucks who droped there balls at 8 weeks.

They are 2 weeks old and still in the nest, Mom drinks and eats from crock bowls .I cleaned the nest out and everything went well.

I figuered they will come out when they are ready :)Thanks

Latest posts

Back