How often and how much vegies does the bunny need?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoriAZ

Reaction score
I am new to the bunny world and I have a propensity to spoil. lol

Tinkers gets a little alfalfa hay (still a baby I think) and Timothy hay (unlimited), 1/4 cup of pellets (she never finishes this much a day, probably eats 1/8 cup), then about twice a day I give her a plate of fresh greens - so far - romaine, other dark lettuces, carrot tops with a bit of carrot, radish tops, sometimes spinach (read that it's not good too often), cilantro, strawberry tops with a tad of strawberry...

So far she's had bits of apple, a few grapes, a couple of raisins and pineapple core as treats (not daily).

I'd say I give her 2-3 cups fresh greens (twice a day) and she polishes most of it off! Is this too much? She's only 2-3 pounds.
P1010068_zps48ca3654.jpg

That's a good amount of veggies for her. It won't hurt for her to have extra veggies as long as she is getting the proper balance of nutrients. And since she is getting pellets and some alfalfa, it's probably fine. Since she is still young and growing, she needs the protein and calcium contained in alfalfa. Food wise, as long as she is looking healthy and has good body condition, then she is getting what she needs. She shouldn't seem boney at all, and should feel fleshy and rounded along her back and ribs. If she seems to not be putting on enough weight, you may need to slowly increase her alfalfa hay or pellet amount, by decreasing veggies and/or timothy a little. Do you think your rabbit is younger than 12 weeks old? Veggies before 12 weeks isn't usually recommended as some rabbits digestive systems can have a hard time adjusting to the new foods, but as long as her poops look a normal size and shape, and she isn't having soft poops, then you are probably ok to keep giving the veggies, but if you think she is younger than 12 weeks, you may want to hold off on the sugary treats until she is that old. Then when old enough you don't want to give too much sugar. Here are some instructions for introducing veggies, amounts, and what veggies are good for buns.

http://www.3bunnies.org/feeding.htm
http://www.rabbit.org/care/veggies.html
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/drop/Drp_en.htm

I have no idea how old she is. I found her in my backyard. But I think she is a small rabbit. She eats a lot and poops a ton, all poops have been hard round turds. Her twin on here is mini Rex/lion head, so if that is the case she is half grown. How long does it take for them to be full grown?

In total she eats about 3 cups of greens a day on average. She also will leave some behind when full so I think she is self regulating.

That's about what ours get--we have two that don't get quite that much or they get the "loosey's. Of course our two biggest get about 33 times that much--the Checkered Giant is almost 20 pounds. And they are all very prolific poopers! Always felt that if you looked up rabbit in the dictionary it would say, "Four legged, furry, poop machine."

Latest posts

Back