How much water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CantDutchThis

Reaction score
How much water does an average (5lb approx) rabbit be drinking on a daily basis... I am a little concerned for how much my rabbit drinks. He gets timothy hay (lots) and 1/4 cup of pellets daily. I use wood stove pellets as bedding as they are more absorbent than shavings or newspaper and he pees a lot.. probably because of the amount he drinks.
He is acting normal, nothing seems out of sorts and I haven't changed anything in his diet or routine lately.
He does get fresh veggies, kale and dandelion as well as occasionally mint..

So, whats the norm out there for your bunnies?

I really don't think you can find a norm. Each rabbit is so different...we have some 4 lb rabbits that barely make a dent in their water bowl and some empty it in half a day...they're outside, which might make some difference, but the more hay they eat the more water they'll drink.

I have a 16oz water bottle and I have to fill it twice a day.. so he's drinking 32oz of water pretty much every day... I know theres probably not a set number but does that seem excessive for any rabbit, to anyone? or am i over reacting

According to Quesenberry and Carpenter's Ferrets, Rabbits, and Rodents, Clinical Medicine and Surgery, rabbits average 50-150 ml of water per kilogram of water daily. So your 5 lb rabbit (~ 2 kg) should average 100-300 mL of water daily, maybe more if it's especially hot or dry out.

Latest posts

Back