How much to feed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggie0506

Reaction score
Flurry weighs 7.5lbs as of last saturday. Right now I am feeding her about 1 1/2 cups per day and a few veggies here and there as well as the occasional craison and unlimited hay. She is about 4months old. I usually feed her at night. Should I change what/when I'm feeding her and when can I introduce veggies daily?

I am no expert with young large breed rabbits, so there may be some better advice from other members.

She should get unlimited pellets for at least a few more months, probably until she is at least 8 months old. She is going to be a big bunny and needs the nutrients of the pellets to reach her full potential. If she is eating all her pellets, you might want to consider adding a feeding in the morning or giving more at night. I believe that some of the giant breeders will free feed pellets for the first year.

I would continue giving veggies and introduce new ones to her. If she handles it well, you could give some every day and increase the amount to how much you want to give.

doggie0506 wrote:
Flurry weighs 7.5lbs as of last saturday. Right now I am feeding her about 1 1/2 cups per day and a few veggies here and there as well as the occasional craison and unlimited hay. She is about 4months old. I usually feed her at night. Should I change what/when I'm feeding her and when can I introduce veggies daily?
--hay--lets start here,unlimited-or 70 %,undigestible fiber..ie timothy/orchard hay....what kind hay do you offer>??..quality/lowfat pellets--are for nutrition and vitamins--how much to feed.,well-??--little bellies fill up on pellets,resulting in the teeth not being active,,overtime the continuiously growing teeth become a major-health- problem and the gi tract will suffer too,,,so about half a cup of pelletsa day,,,fruit tree branches/twigs are excellent for the teeth and the gi tract,,...i like to feed some seasonal weeds,some dandylions,clover,grasses...you can google..house of rabbits or adopt a rabbit societies for a comprehensive list of safe,non safe plants...hope this helps..sincerely james waller:wave:

I feed her unlimeted second cut mixed grass hay straight from a local farmer. I feed her Martin Mills little friends and am going to introduce veggies. Since it's cold out there isn't much grass to feed But I take her for walks around the yard about once a week she eats grass then. I have an entire 'rabbit menu' so I'm good for safe and unsafe veggies. Any ther suggestions since I'm getting mixed messages here :D.

doggie0506 wrote:
I feed her unlimeted second cut mixed grass hay straight from a local farmer. I feed her Martin Mills little friends and am going to introduce veggies. Since it's cold out there isn't much grass to feed But I take her for walks around the yard about once a week she eats grass then. I have an entire 'rabbit menu' so I'm good for safe and unsafe veggies. Any ther suggestions since I'm getting mixed messages here :D.
:pink iris:weeds are seasonal-here in pacific n.w.-we just had a freeze so weeds will be cut out shortly,,sounds like your doing good//,sorry for any confusion,,,hope therabbit not-outside,,ouch,,there are other forum-members in canada,,pm them find out how they manage with the cold,,,i raise exotics rabbits and homers(pigeons)-other forums i am on where i read birds freezing to death in sub zero temps,,,sincerely james waller:pink iris:

thanks for the info :) Ive talked to other canadians about the cold and they said lots of insulation and she will be good since she lives in a garden shed with a run attached. She would live inside for the winter but my dads allergies are too bad :( thanks for the help! (It sow'd today and Flurry didnt know what to do with herself!!)

The next time you get hay from the farmer, ask for straw hay to use as insulation. It is cheaper than a regular bale of hayand the rabbits won't eat it. You could use the strawfor the litter boxes too.

You canfeed some sunflower seeds (the type for birds), it would help Flurry stay warm in the winter.

We feed the birds black oil sunflower seeds so we have plenty since we buy them bulk. We are going to buy straw next time but we have two square bales that will last us until the summer! The hay isn't very expensive it's two bales for 8$. Anyone else with ideas let me know.

Latest posts

Back