how many caecotropes are considered normal?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippie

Reaction score
forgive me for being paranoid-i have only had my little bunny for about 6 weeks!

for the last couple of weeks i have noticed that there seem to be quite a lot of uneaten caecotropes in my rabbit's litter box. i dont see that many during the day but whenever i check on my rabbit in the morning there seem to be a lot there. i have reduced his pellet intake to about a tbsp a day-is this ok? he does get unlimited hay also. i think there has been a bit of improvement since doing this. do certain types of grass and plants make a rabbit produce more caecoptropes? he has access to my backyard all day and nibbles on the grass and plants(all rabbit safe). i am just wondering if i should be seeing any of the caecotropes at all-aren't the rabbits meant to eat them? thanks

Temporarily reduce all other food sources (treats, pellets, veggies, not hay) and it should solve itself. Often, uneaten cecotropes are there simply because the bun would rather eat yummier options than it's cecals.

Normally you wouldn't see any, you're right they should all be eaten. It may just be your rabbit adjusting to the changes in diet and hopefully with the increased hay and less pellets they will reduce.

he's almost 14 weeks-i am still seeing a few of the caecotropes-should i be concerned or will it take a while with his new diet?

From what i understand it's not uncommon for younger rabbits to leave a few cecals, i think it is because they eat more pellets than older rabbits and so don't need to eat as many cecals. At least that is what i discovered when trying to find out why one of my rabbits would leave cecals for me to clean up in the morning instead of eating them all. >.<

Yeah my bunny Charlie alllways left some in her cage. I was a bit concerned and the vet said to up the hay. It didn't work though because she got unlimited.

Somtimes I've heard if its an outside bunny, heat can cause that..

What type of hay are you giving him? I found lucerne hay was too much for my young ones so I cut back on that and offered more oaten hay instead. Also, reducing pellets as you've done. You might be able to increase pellets again slowly so he still gets enough as he's a growing boy. It can take a little while to get the balance right.

Latest posts

Back