How long for a rabbit to settle in?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily2521

Reaction score
We've had Gizmo for about a month now. Male, neutered, lop.

He's been very friendly, nipped at us a couple of times, but not recently. He will eat from our hands, we've seen a few binkies, he'll flop down in his 'loaf' lay either in his cage with the door open or out on our area rug (rare).

He still seems very skittish though, he spooks easily and runs into his home. At night when we're home and his hutch door is open, often times he'll lay in his hutch instead out coming out and laying on the rug or something with us. He'll come out, eat, and go back into his hutch.

I'm just wondering if this might change with time, if he's still getting comfortable with us? I'd love to see him spend more time outside of his hutch when we're home, his door is open and he's free to come out.

I know every bun is different, but in your experience, how long does it take for a bun to really get completely settled in, and into their routine, to where you really know their personality and how they'll be around you, etc?

I don't know if the behavior he's showing is truly his and how he'll always be, or if we'll still see some changes as he gets more comfortable with us, especially in spending more time outside of his hutch, even if it's just lounging around in the living room while we're watching TV.
Thanks.

Sometimes it takes a long time for a rabbit to get used to everything. Try not to introduce anything to soon like people, animals, or any really new smell. My rabbit took 3 months to get used to most things, but usually it takes a month or two it was just my rabbits personality.

Just be patient and remember stay eye level to your rabbit and let him come to you also have a low voice; try not to make sudden movements. It seems like he already loves you so much just give him time to get used to the other things!!

Latest posts

Back