how long does it take for bun to recover from stasis?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abi :)

Reaction score
hi guys! unfortunately duke's had an upset tummy on Friday and we took him to the vet they said that his gut was very quiet and gave us some meds that help with stimulating the gut and reducing any pain he might have. We've been giving him the meds and he's been getting better, he's started to munch on his hay, eat his food and pass poos but he's slightly slower and less food motivated than he used to be- does anyone have any idea how long it takes to recover from stasis?

Our vet said that as long as he is passing poo there is no need for us to return since it shows that he is eating and that his gut is working properly so we haven't gone back yet. I'm also planning to buy some orchard grass hay to entice him to eat more hay since he's being a bit picky with our old hay.

any advice would be very helpful!

<3

That he's eating again is ag good sign.

Stasis isn't a sickness by itself though but rather a symptom that spirals out of control. Quite often if the underlaying cause is something temporary like too much ingested fur, too much sugary fruit, or such, the problem should resolve with starting eating gradually pretty quick.

Other causes, like dental problems, or feeling unwell for whatever reason, aren't going away by reslolving the bout of stasis, if he isn't his normal self after 3-4 days I would keep an eye on it and consider a checkup.

They can be picky eaters, so trying to find hay that he really likes is a good idea.

I believe this would be a difficult question to answer because each case can be different have have different causes. One of our buns would go into stress-related stasis and she could snap out of it in a day. On the other hand, our Flemish Giant chewed on a cardboard carton and didn't know when to quit. He went into GI stasis and spent a week at a veterinary hospital before he got back to normal.

Were any blood test or xrays done? Was a dental exam done? What pain relief was prescribed?

With a mild to moderate case of stasis caused by some sort of digestive upset, I would expect significant improvement in eating and behavior by the next couple of days, but sometimes even that same day. For more severe cases due to digestive issues, there should usually be a gradual improvement in both eating and mood, over the next week or two. But this can fluctuate between feeling better and temporary downturns as the gut motility gets back to normal and passes any compacted matter.

Insufficient prescribed pain relief can sometimes affect the rate of recovery. And if the prescribed pain relief is a narcotic, this could certainly affect a rabbit, making them more lethargic, which is why I much prefer meloxicam being prescribed over narcotics, in most instances, except for cases of severe pain.

But like Preitler mentioned, the complication with this is if the cause of the stasis isn't digestive related, but due to another underlying medical condition. And if this is what's going on, you aren't likely to see much improvement in mood or behavior, and is likely to worsen gradually or suddenly, depending on what the underlying medical problem is. So if you really aren't seeing improvement in mood/behavior, condition seems to be worsening, or you have any concerns, it's better to get your bun back to the vet. Or if your current vet isn't very knowledgeable about rabbits, maybe to a better rabbit vet for a second opinion.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Gastrointestinal_stasis

One thing to double check isn't affecting recovery and also the cause of the stasis, is his hay, pellets, or other food being bad. This would certainly continue to cause ongoing problems affecting recovery. Check for signs of mold (black or white spots, white dust, sour or musty smell, dampness in hay or pellets), spoiled veggies, or any signs anything might be off with his food.

Were any blood test or xrays done? Was a dental exam done? What pain relief was prescribed?

With a mild to moderate case of stasis caused by some sort of digestive upset, I would expect significant improvement in eating and behavior by the next couple of days, but sometimes even that same day. For more severe cases due to digestive issues, there should usually be a gradual improvement in both eating and mood, over the next week or two. But this can fluctuate between feeling better and temporary downturns as the gut motility gets back to normal and passes any compacted matter.

Insufficient prescribed pain relief can sometimes affect the rate of recovery. And if the prescribed pain relief is a narcotic, this could certainly affect a rabbit, making them more lethargic, which is why I much prefer meloxicam being prescribed over narcotics, in most instances, except for cases of severe pain.

But like Preitler mentioned, the complication with this is if the cause of the stasis isn't digestive related, but due to another underlying medical condition. And if this is what's going on, you aren't likely to see much improvement in mood or behavior, and is likely to worsen gradually or suddenly, depending on what the underlying medical problem is. So if you really aren't seeing improvement in mood/behavior, condition seems to be worsening, or you have any concerns, it's better to get your bun back to the vet. Or if your current vet isn't very knowledgeable about rabbits, maybe to a better rabbit vet for a second opinion.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Gastrointestinal_stasis

One thing to double check isn't affecting recovery and also the cause of the stasis, is his hay, pellets, or other food being bad. This would certainly continue to cause ongoing problems affecting recovery. Check for signs of mold (black or white spots, white dust, sour or musty smell, dampness in hay or pellets), spoiled veggies, or any signs anything might be off with his food.

hi! our vet didn't do an x-ray/blood test but did a dental exam and said that his teeth are absolutely fine, I believe that his food/hay is normal as well since I can't notice any of the signs you mentioned.

for the meds, we've been prescribed rheumocam and emeprid - in the past when duke had stomach issues taking these solved them within a couple of days which is why i'm just slightly worried about the lack of improvement

our other rabbit bambi passed away two weeks ago, when we went to the vet on Friday for Duke she said that his stasis could be the stress of losing his partner which I think is the most likely cause since i can't think of anything else - any suggestions on how to help him with this? I moved his x-pen into a main area of the house so he always has someone around him hopefully making him feel less alone but can't think of what else to do.

thanks everyone for your replies :)

hi! our vet didn't do an x-ray/blood test but did a dental exam and said that his teeth are absolutely fine, I believe that his food/hay is normal as well since I can't notice any of the signs you mentioned.

for the meds, we've been prescribed rheumocam and emeprid - in the past when duke had stomach issues taking these solved them within a couple of days which is why i'm just slightly worried about the lack of improvement

our other rabbit bambi passed away two weeks ago, when we went to the vet on Friday for Duke she said that his stasis could be the stress of losing his partner which I think is the most likely cause since i can't think of anything else - any suggestions on how to help him with this? I moved his x-pen into a main area of the house so he always has someone around him hopefully making him feel less alone but can't think of what else to do.

thanks everyone for your replies :)
So so sorry to hear Bambi passed away.
Such sorrow.

I'm sorry for your loss. It can be a difficult thing for the remaining bun. Stress from the loss of a bun companion can certainly cause stasis.

Spending a lot of extra time with your bun can sometimes help for some rabbits. Usually rabbits don't like their routine changed, but in some instances it might help to introduce something different, provided your rabbit responds immediately with interest and not acting more stressed. Things like garden time (if available, and he has his vacs up to date), making a dig box for him, fresh rabbit safe branches (willow, apple, etc) and other safe forage (gradually introduced, again only if he's up to date on his vacs), and other activities. Again, this should be approached carefully, and only tried or continued if it helps spark interest and doesn't add to the stress.

But for some rabbits, the only thing that helps them is finding them a new bun companion. But this has to be approached just right, with the perfect match, since you don't want to get a difficult match and bond, that just adds more stress to your bun.

Because you just lost your other rabbit, I thought I should ask if he's up to date on his myxo/rhd1/rhd2 vaccination? Just to rule out any link there, unless her passing was related to other causes.

https://www.houserabbitga.com/rabbit-losing-a-friend

www.bunnyhugga.com/a-to-z/rabbit-behaviour/rabbit-bereavement.html

https://rabbitresource.org/rabbit-care-information-and-resources/rabbit-loss-and-grief/

https://www.bunnybunch.org/grief-and-bunnies/

Back