How long do antibiotics take to have an effect on rabbits?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinupchick

Reaction score
How long should I wait to have a repeat chest x-ray taken to see if the antibiotic is having an effect on Ula's respiratory infection?

The story is: She has molar spurs which cannot be trimmed because she is an anesthesia risk with her lung congestion. Antibiotics have been administered since last Friday (twice a day, starting Friday morning). She is getting worse and worse with her eating and more and more selective about her foods. I want to get the trim done as soon as possible, but want to ensure the drugs have had enough time to have an effect.

Is it too soon to schedule a repeat x-ray for tomorrow?

Getting worse is not a good sign. I would have expected to see improvement within 5-7 days.

Well it's her teeth that are getting worse. She still isn't really showing signs of any respiratory illness, except for the occasional sneeze when she sniffs her Care Fresh.

Her teeth are getting worse because she hasn't gotten them trimmed yet...

She's fine in all other respects...running around, binkying, playing with her paper tube.

I need her lungs to clear up before her trimming though.

OIC. It would be hard to tell how she's doing with the antibiotic because it was a pretty asymptomatic lower respiratory infection, right? Rregardless, an antibiotic should show at least some improvement within a week, unless the bacteria are resistant to that antibiotic.

So is she having difficulty eating because of her teeth? That's how she's getting worse?

Yes. Her eating fluctuates and she is increasingly selective about the types of pellets she will eat, the types of hay she will eat, and when she will eat it. I've gone through 4 brands of pellets and now she's back to eating the first brand that she gave up. It's sporadic too. She was eating fine over the weekend and before yesterday (all pellets, some hay, poop getting bigger) and then she just slowed again.

She makes weird teeth noises (not pain...like nails on chalkboard noises, but like shifting/light grinding/clicking noises) and seems to have discomfort with her teeth. The vet noted sharp edges on a visual exam but insists on doing a thorough exam under anesthesia.

Her only sign of respiratory illness was in her x-ray and occasional sneezing while sniffing things like hay or litter. Still no discharge, normal breathing, etc.

I want to get the trim asap, but can't until her lungs clear up, which means repeat x-ray. I can't afford frivolous x-rays, but want them done as early as possible ( if that makes sense).

Ahh, confusing situation. Thanks for your help though. It's very much appreciated. :)

Latest posts

Back