How long after molar trim does it usually take for bunnies to eat normally?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinupchick

Reaction score
Ula finally went for a molar trim after a couple weeks on antibiotics for a respiratory infection. She had repeat x-rays and her lungs were clear, so we went for it.

The vet noted that her molars were quite long and sharp, but that there weren't any lacerations on her tongue or cheeks. She's been given several days worth of Metacam (implying that teeth procedures can be painful for rabbits?) and is still not eating normally. She's eating some hay, some pellets, and some veggies, but it's still nowhere near her previous normal level of consumption.

Does it usually take a few days for their mouths to stop hurting, or should I be worried? I also noticed a few pieces of softer (not mushy, just soft) fecals in her litter box today.

She's still on Septra until Thursday.

Your problem is most likely the Septra. Not the best choice for use in a rabbit. It can cause GI issues since it has an effect on the bacteria that digests food. Any oral antibiotic can cause a decrease in appetite. My suggestion is to talk to your vet about immediately discontinuing the Septra. In many cases, we will dose B Comp (a vitamin) that can stimulate the appetitie.

At one time it was thought that only Sulfa type drugs and Baytril were the only antibiotics that were "safe" for rabbits. Those drugs, especially Sulfa, are becoming ineffective and have the potentail for causing GI issues. We now know there are other drugs that are both safe and effective.

I have never had any problem with eating after molar trims. I generally use Tramadol and Metacam for post procedure discomfort.....but in most cases, Metacam should be sufficient.

Randy

Randy has spoken.

Prince had his molars trimmed at the beginning of April 2010. He was doing the same thing your rabbit is doing, except for the poops, his were normal.

It took Prince a few days to really eat normally after the molar trim. At first he mostly ate hay and drank water. Give your rabbit the metacam as prescribed by your vet and your rabbit will start eating normally again soon.

Hope that this also helps.

Latest posts

Back