How do you reduce odor?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eyssa

Reaction score
I'll save the introductions for later. Right now, I'll just tell you about my little... problem.

I have four rabbits, one unneutered male and three unspayed females. At the very least, my male -Sugar, a purebred Angora- is going to be neutered hopefully soon if we can get things in order. As far as the girls go, I'm not sure. I realize that there is a risk of cancer if they're not spayed, but it's up to my father... whether he wants to spend money on three girls (which is, suffice it to say, a lot of money).

Our rabbits are all being kept in our mudroom (yes, they are separated), which is a very small room... and to say the least, it stinks. AND the rabbits are peeing on the carpet despite the fact that I have plastic laid around the edges and a tray underneath. Quite frankly, I feel like my nose is going to burn off when I walk in there, and I know it's mostly due to my unneutered male. But even so, it stinks. Four rabbits equal a BIG mess.

So I had the distinct idea to move them into the basement. There's a window down there, so they'd get plenty of light, and they'd be moved outside for a couple hours a day. I was going to fence off a large concrete ledge, layer it with straw, and keep our rabbits in there, but we have an old house. The floors aren't that "thick" and according to my father the smell will waft up into the house. SO. I'm not sure what to do. The reason I'm keeping them indoors is because one of my rabbits (I used to have five =[) was killed by an unknown assailant when they lived outdoors (I think it was a possum). I don't want to go through that again or put them through it. I just need a way to reduce odor or... something! I'm desparate!

So anyway, thanks! Any advice would be appreciated! :-]

Are the rabbits litter trained? (To go in a specific litter box)
What litter are you using?
Straw is great for plain bedding, but will not retain moisture.

I'd neuter that male immediately. It will decrease the odor (bc he is also spraying;)). It will also stop any chance of him mating through cage bars with the females.
Trust me, we've got a litter or two in the Rabbitry Forum because of a wily male.

If the basement is well lit, and well ventilated, I don't know if it would be so bad.
Where do you live?
I don't know if your climate is suitable to moving rabbits inside and out on a daily basis, due to their need for constant temperature.

More information and pictures of your setup would help members to get a more accurate view of the situation.

There are different diets that make them smell more.. but most inside rabbits are litter trained. I had a friend who did it and I know there are ALOT on here who have done it so I'd probably suggest that...atleast for the sake of your carpet. Let's see... you can put some vanilla in their water or even some decaffinated tea works... I like the vanilla better as it smells good on its own!

I doubt the smell would go into the house from the basement, and it really shouldn't smell that much! We have kept 5 males and 3 females in a small-ish shed and it didnt smell one bit. I would put them in the basement and put them on a good absorbent bedding. Straw, basically will be the main reason it would stink! not only is it very un-absorbent but it moulds quite quickly. Also, if you can get a fan blasting from behind or the side of the cage towards the window when it is opened and stop it getting humid in the basement if you put them in there.

Our rabbits aren't litter trained, and... I'm not sure what type of litter to use. I've done research, but I'm finding contradictions everywhere. I don't think that the girls would be too hard to litter train, but until we get Sugar fixed, we'll have a problem. :-/

As of now Sugar can't get to the girls. He's in a solid-bottomed crate on top of the girls' hutch. I'm using fleece for his bedding, but because he sprays it gets so wet so easily.

The basement is lit good, but as far as ventilation goes... do the cracks in the door count? Lol. Like I said, we have a hundred year old house with dirt basement floors and low-beamed ceilings. The bunnies will be right by the door, so I suppose we could air it out every day by opening up the basement door for an hour or so.

...and I'd take a pic of my setup, but my camera is out of batteries. I'll try to explain it a little better. Right now, they're in a very small unheated room. The girls are in a wire hutch with a tray underneath it and the male is in a wire dog crate with a solid metal bottom. Part of the reason it stinks so bad is that we don't have anything suitable to put in the tray itself... And the male, like I said, has fleece which I wash once every two days or so. The basement is a lot bigger, of course, and if I can get them all litter trained and can scoop out the straw every day I think it'll be okay. But my dad's the one who I have to convince. I just can't stand the smell any longer!

And you can put... vanilla in their water? Hm, I never knew that. Perhaps I'll have to try it out, because I'm just so sick of the smell.

And as far as other bedding options go... what is is an easy, affordable bedding that can be easily cleaned up?

Well where do you live? It will help to know if you even have certain products available.

Anyways, I have four rabbits all are litterbox trainedand I use a litter called Yesterdays news cat litter. It's a paper pelleted cat litter, it has no clay and it doesn't clump so it's safe for your rabbits. It costs about $12.00 for 13.2 lbs. That lasts me about two to three weeks.

Yesterdaysnews.jpg

I have also used pellet stove pellets, this is what my friend uses in her rabbitry. She has over 20 rabbits and you can't smell a thing. They are available at hardware stores or feed stores. The ones she buys are I think $4.49 for a 40lb bag.

I hope this helps.

~Hayley

Litter training would definitely help! With the four rabbits all being un-speutered, it would help a little bit. Not only is the male just spraying, but I bet the three females are trying to mark and peeing elsewhere. The brand Marshall also makes a product called Bi-Odor that you put in their water. It helps to reduce their urine/feces' odor. I don't know what other people on the forum think of it, but I know that it works on my Netherland male. Some air fresheners can't hurt, either (just don't spray it ON the rabbits or near them). I spray Febreeze in the bedroom where my guy runs around (when he's not in there). If there is urine in the carpet or anything fabric, clean it up with a 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. I've heard that cuts back on the smell ;)

Also, is the urine on any of them? Does one have some urine-soaked fur on their bum? That would make the stink linger around a bit.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back