How do you pick up a rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You never stop studying, do you Pam? I thought a Judge's workwas done when she got her licenseas a Judge.

Quite wrong!

Thank you for explaning it to me. It's interesting,especially about the blaze on the Dutch. I'm sure Buck willappreciate this post as well.

-Carolyn

You never stop learning. The better youget at judging, the more you can study and improve your knowledge onthe intricacies of the Standard. There is also extensiveinformation that is *not* in the Standard. I learned a lotabout the French Angoras by talking to breeders and having them show medifferent specimens. While they are a large commercial breed,they are slightly short of ideal weight for a 6 class breed.This means they only have junior and seniorclasses, but nointermediate class. I found that a 6-8 month old (normallywhat would be the intermediate class, but they would be shown asseniors), does often *not* have the mature senior coat with the correcttexture. Very important piece of info, as I've heard far moreexperienced judges wrongly comment on those young seniors and say theywere worthless "mixed breeds" due to their soft coats. Notso! Those "baby" coats will molt in another month and be thecorrect texture!

A judge should never stop educating themselves or strive tolearn. It is no surprise that seasoned breedersknow the intricacies of their breed better than the judge, so I takeevery opportunity to pick their brains and educate my self on theirbreed and on all stages of development of that breed.

Pam

Lily is my first pet, i mean FIRSTpet and she is the best. The reson i thinkshe won`t let me pick her up, is because she is6 years old and rabbits can only live to about8-12 years so probaly the reson.

Older buns are skittish if previously neglected.It takes lots of treats and lots of time. Physically, don't worry abouthandling because of the age. She's got more good years and isn't an"old" bunny yet. If she's showing interest in you she'll come around.

Rose

P.S. most bunnies fight getting picked up.

What`s happing to lily? She lookingfor food and she acts like she`s going to have a baby and she has notmate!:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

Maybe it's just me but Lola will allow kierstenmy daughter to pick her up any way shape or fashion. and lola doesnothing. If I look like I am going to pick her up, she gruntsand I mean GRUNTS at me. If my daughter has beenpicking her up for years now and Lola I guess just let's her pick herup any way and does not fight. You know how the "kick"or scrambles around......well not lola. SometimesKiersten pickes her up "like a baby" although she is fully grown andLola just kinda "hangs there with her hind legs bobbingaround. It's kinda cute, but she won't let me touch her oreven try to pick her up the correct way.

Annkierst

Lily's definately a Dutch, and a real cutie! :D

Aron the owner of Lily the girlrabbit wrote:
What`s happing to lily? Shelooking for food and she acts like she`s going to have a baby and shehas notmate!:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:
What is she doing?

Did she maybe mate before you got her?

If not, probably just a false alarm. My girls go through that every now and then.

Rose

Be sure that their "thumpers" are supported byyour hands and hold on tight. Keep in mind that rabbits'spines are very fragile.

Jason likes to hold Iszy like a baby. :D

My bun needs to have her back legs totally supported or she kicks like crazy...

Have to say what a beautiful picture of your bun! :):):)I would want to frame it & hang it on my wall - Sue

Latest posts

Back