How do you brush your bunny - how to get to those hard to reach areas?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweetiepy

Reaction score

I found a string of dark pearls on top of the litterbox grid - they weren't connected by just a single "thread" but more like a thick braid of fur - poor bunny. I've been trying to brush Peaches every day but it is quite hard to get to all of him, like I can't get to the area below his chin or his underside at all - he's a lionhead and his wool is quite long but his regular fur is shorter and lays flatter and is quite hard to brush properly. Do I need to brush this underside as well? I got a furminator but I find that I can't press hard enough for it to be fully effective and he won't sit for being brushed that hard either. He likes getting brushed and pet and will sit for quite a while if I brush with a wire kitty brush similar to this one
http://www.petco.com/product/106037/Four-Paws-Ultimate-Touch-Gentle-Slicker-Wire-Brush-Professional-Non-Slip-Grip-for-Cats-and-Kittens.aspx?cm_mmc=CSEMShopzilla-_-Cat-_-Four%20Paws-_-814008&mr:referralID=4ed3bbc3-0c54-11e0-ad8e-001b2166c62d

He's also mostly on his haunches or lays flat so if I try to do his side in one long stroke, I end up hitting his hind legs and he'll move away. If you go near him, you can see the fur fly all over, if you pick him up, you're full of fur - hubby is gonna have a fit soon with the fur balls all over. Is there a way to get most of it so I don't have to brush him every single day? His coat is very soft and shiny though.

How do you groom your bunny? Do you need to get to all areas? How do you get to the underside? Mine won't tolerate the flip over or the burrito - if I do manage to flip them, as soon as I touch them they flip over.

I find that when my woolies are molting, it's easiest to just pluck them. Yep, exactly what it sounds like! lol Grab tufts of dead wool with your pointer finger and thumb and in short, quick strokes pluck the fur out.

This is MUCH easier on long-haired rabbits than using a comb or brush. I actually haven't found one that gets into the undercoat on them. But when the fur is so loose its falling out in furballs, I pluck away and can have most of it out within 15-30 min.

Each day, new fur will loosen up so just pluck until the molt is over. :)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
I find that when my woolies are molting, it's easiest to just pluck them. Yep, exactly what it sounds like! lol Grab tufts of dead wool with your pointer finger and thumb and in short, quick strokes pluck the fur out.

This is MUCH easier on long-haired rabbits than using a comb or brush. I actually haven't found one that gets into the undercoat on them. But when the fur is so loose its falling out in furballs, I pluck away and can have most of it out within 15-30 min.

Each day, new fur will loosen up so just pluck until the molt is over. :)
Lol I thought I was the only one that plucked my bunny! It especially works with the area on his lower back, right above his tail. He hates being brushed there for some reason, but doesn't mind being plucked at all! :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back