Hope isn't right

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flashy

Reaction score
Ok, I just woke up about 7 mintues ago and Hope was sort of dragging himself around his cage using one foot (didn't get a chance to see which) to move himself to two different places- I saw him move two foot pushings forward.

I then went to carefully move him, but he did then actually hop away, so he can hop.

I've gotten them out now, and he hopped about 3 ft (proper hops) and is now sat in the corner, breathing fast (but no mouth breathing), and he hasn't moved since, not once.

His tummy feels nice and soft.

I have his treat test here as well as some Metacam, which I am about to give him.

He has formerly had spurs but on last check-up they were fine.

I woke up drenched in sweat (nice) and so he might be hot, but none of the others seem bothered in the slightest, in fact, they are all quite active.

Help, please? it's 2.37am. I COULD call the vets, but I'm not sure this warrants an emergency yet.

Why oh why do they do this. I posted this and a second later he is now hopping around. I'm going to do the treat test now.

I have opened my window wide, so I wonder if sensitive Hope has struck again.

That was a very successful treat test. Now I feel silly, but I know he did not look right.

And to top it off I made the other 4 angry because they want some pear.

I don't know what it is but I know you well enough that it must have really looked abnormal. Sometimes my buns will be lying down and sort of stretch themselves to get the food without getting up (lazy)

I don't think that you need to call the vet right now if everything remains the same; could he have injured himself anyway that you know of. ?

Hope will be 2 in June, so no, he's still a young'un.

I've seen rabbits so exactly that, and be lazy, but this just looked different. After he moved the first time he lay down practically instantly which isn't like him

Right now his breathing has returned to normal and he is being copletely normal. He's even flirting :| But he's running around quite happy and normal. Currently he is cleaning. I've just watched him clean his right back foot and now he is cleaning his back and left side, so his movement is quite varied and good, which might indicate not an injury. Or possibly, if an injury, a more specific injury to a specific part.

He is a super sensitive bunny though (as in once he put himself into stasis because his next door neighbour was at the vets and they weren't even bonded, he was just used to seeing her) so it might be that he didn't cope with the heat, or it might be that heat combined with something else has bothered him.

I haven't done anything other than the treat test, and I'm not going to do anything else if he stays how he is because he is now acting normal. I'm just going to watch and see how he is

I think he waited until I posted to be normal again. It's all a rabbit conspiracy!

I'm in bed :) But FREEZING! Having the window open is NOT my idea of fun.

And that's why I'm glad it's a US based forum, because any nighttime crises (or created crises in my case :p) happen when people are about because its not yet nighttime for them. :D

Ok, I'm actually going to go now. They are in the run and I can see them from my bed. Hope is doing Bunny 500s, so I can only presume he was affected by the heat, or that he wanted me to make a plum of myself on the forum :p

Thanks angie x

Just thought I would update. Hope seems fine today. He is eating and acting very normal.

Last night I remembered that I woke up to a really annoying noise, and it happened a few times and that was what I got up to check and that noise was Hope moving around so he had obviously been doing it for a while for it to have woken me up to annoy me.

Not sure what to do from here. I guess it could be a one off (maybe created by heat exhaustion or something), I also know it could potentially be the start of EC, or something else, so I'm going to keep watching and see how he does.

Thanks angieluv :)

Eeek, what a scare! I'm glad Hope is ok now, and I hope that it was just a one-off... :)

I know what you mean about the rabbit-conspiracy thing as well. I swear mine do it just for a giggle sometimes! I have actually been typing a post for help in here a number of times because one bunny wasn't sitting down to dinner, and they've always hopped over and started eating mid-post!

Sorry I didn't see this. I was on, so don't know how I missed it. Not sure what's going on there, but I agree that if it's something to worry about, you will see it again.

Latest posts

Back