Holland lop colours

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wintermelon

Reaction score
Hi,

as i about to fall asleep last night, i was just thinking about mylops....what exactly are the rare colours? How many different coloursare there? Which colours are recognised and which aren't??

Are there any good sites about HL genetics??

Sorry for all my questions but i don't know where to go to find all these info....so any help given will be much appreciated!

Thank you!!

I don't know if this will help - but here's alink to the Holland Lop Specialty club. I have a broken blackotter holland lop who is also a chocolate carrier...he'sadorable. His name is Puck.

http://www.hlrsc.com/

Peg

i have a few bkn steels, otters, torts, blacks, bkn blacks, and a blue...

I also have a marten.

I'll like to know more about breeding HLs and their genetics so that i know what colour + what will give me....XXX....

I would also like to know more about how to differentiate colours...

Many thanks for the replies...

BTW, what is BOB and best of opp etc? Thanks.

Also, what exactly does shaded/dilute/butterfly patternedmean??

wintermelon wrote:
BTW, what is BOB and best of opp etc? Thanks.

Also, what exactly does shaded/dilute/butterfly patternedmean??

Are you from the UK? Holland Lops are called Mini Lops in theUK. The broken variety in the US is called "butterfly" in theUK.

BOB is Best of Breed, BOS is Best Opposite Sex of Breed, BOV is Best Of Variety, BOSV is Best Opposite Sex of Variety.

Shaded colors (in the US) are: Tortoise (not a genetic shaded), Seal, Smoke Pearl, Sable Point and Siamese Sable.

In the US, one of the rarest colors is Red. Cream, Fawn, Frosty and Orange are not Unusual.

Otters are becoming more popular now that they are a recognizedvariety. (Marten is not an accepted variety in the US).

Steel is another rare US color. Black, Blue, Chocolate,Lilac, Tri Colored, Brokens, Squirrel, Choc. Chin, Lynx, Opal, Choc.Agouti, Chinchilla, Chestnut Agouti, REW and BEW are also acceptedcolors in the US.

Pointed White is uncommon, but I do occasionally see them.

Here is an outstanding UK site with extensive info on the UK Mini Lop/US Holland Lop.

http://www.miniaturelops.com/index2.html

Pam

http://www.geocities.com/pamnock/

Dear Pam,

Thank you for your detailed reply and patience.

I am not from the united kingdom and am instead, from Asia.

Now, i am currently trying to find out a much as possible about this wonderful breed and be the best rabbit slave that i can be.

Also, I am trying to find out the differences between theways lops are kept around the world. I thank you for the UK based sitewhich hasbeen a great help to me. I apologise for thisonslaught of questions and thank you once again for yourhelp.I am also attempting to understand the many terms used in a rabbit showas well as the various acronyms(i think i spelt this wrongly.Sorry.)

If you don't mind, what are mini lops called in the UK??

Many thanks.

Hi pple, I'm sorry for bringing this topic up again but how do i tell a marten is a marten?

Are siamese sables hard to get?

Thx..

Here is a picture of the Silver Marten breed -- however many breeds have the Marten color:

The Martens have "silver" (white) markings inside the ears, nape ofneck, eye circles, jowels, nostrils, under tail and inside legs.

RBT_0001471_20011009153042.jpg

To produce siamese sable rabbits, you need the cchl (shaded) gene inthe C series. The siamese sable can be a homozygouscombination of cchl (may be darker) or the heterozygous cchl along withc (albino) -- more desired as it gives a slightly lightercoloration. Ifnone of your rabbits carry the shadedgene, you will not be able to produce siamese sable.

Pam

Oic....hmm..thanks...

don't really understand the genetic issues though...will try to read more..

Accepted varieties in the USthat havethe shaded gene you need are: siamese sable, seal, smoke pearl, andsable point. Rabbits that have at least one of the listedvarieties as a sire or dam will also carry the shaded gene and could beuseful to you in getting siamese sables.

Pam

Latest posts

Back