Hind legs not working

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's really good :)

Is the metacam the one for cats or dogs? I was given a syringe which had units in kg on it and was told to give 7kg of metacam (according to the syringe)

I'm just curious as to whether this is a similar amount to yours as I was told that it wasn't a lot to be giving for my bun!

It's the one for dogs. The vet said to use 0.4ml each day (it's 40 on the plastic syringe she gave us). I think she said it's on the low side dosage-wise but I'm not completely sure of that. It's the first time I have used metacam so I'm not very knowledgeable about it.

Further update: he's been on 0.4ml metacam once a day for 2 weeks but in the last few days he has become a bit worse, with lack of control of one of his hind legs. After a vet visit today he's now on 0.4ml metacam twice a day. According to the vet, this is still a relatively low dose for his size and she says he could tolerate 2ml a day. But we're taking it gradually and only increasing his dose according to his needs. Looks like he'll be on metacam indefinitely, unfortunately.

I'm really sorry to hear that he has got slightly worse :-( I'm glad that your vet is being really helpful towards the situation though!

I've beven thinking about putting my bun back onto metacam to see if it will help him again. He has been off it for a good few months now as I wanted to get it out of his system due to it supposedly being bad for their kidneys. However sometimes I think we have to go with what's best for them and I think I may try again!

I was also worried about the side effects of metacam but the alternative is a bunny with no hind leg control, it seemed like the right thing to do...if it works.

We are now up to 0.6ml of dog metacam twice a day - the 0.4ml twice a day didn't seem to make much difference to his problem but the 0.6ml seems to have done the trick - he's much more stable now but it's only been 24 hours of the higher dose so we'll have to wait and see. I'd like to think we can reduce the dose over time and hopefully stop at some stage but that's probably not going to happen. If he remains stable like this I'll be happy.

Hope all goes well with your little one, they are so precious.

Latest posts

Back