Hi!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justpeachy

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hi! I live in Western, NC.and am hoping to find someone locally to get a little hopper from. lol!I am also interested in possibly getting into shows and such andletting my children get involved as well. I have had bunnies before butits been a while and I was not very educated on them. I wasone of those who just assumed "its a bunny, how hard can it be?". Notso. Before I get another I want to know ALL I need to know about them.Anyway, I have already been checking out everyones pictures and havefound a couple of breeds that I am more interested in than others.Well, I suppose thats all I have to say for now. :bunnydance:

Hi there and welcome! :hug:

Its so great that youre doing your homework beforegetting a bunny. I wish I wouldve done the same. Theres really so muchto learn!

If youre looking for a bunny in NC, Im sure theres lots of rescues in your area. Let me know if you need any help.

If youre interested in showing, however, you might want to check withour breeders to see if they know anyone reputable in your area. Feelfree to post something in the rabbitry if you need any help frombreeders..

Again, welcome! :wave:

-Haley

Awesome! Thank you :) Though I do think I wouldlove to do shows and let my kids get involved too. I doubt its anythingthat will happen within the next couple of years. I am really justinterested in a pet for now. Just a little bunny to love on. I found awebsite close to me called hamiltons hop n lops. I have sent them anemail on what to do about getting a baby from them. That way I willhave someone local I can be learning from as well as this forum and anyother websites with info. Thanks for the welcome :D

Welcome! This place will be a great source ofinfo before you get your rabbit. I joined several months before Iadopted my two, and this place was an absolute treasure trove ofinformation:)

Matt:cool:

Great! I found these rescues as well if yourenot looking for show-quality. Its also great to adopt from a shelter bcyou get a bunny who has already been altered! Much cheaper in the longrun, plus you save a life :D

Rabbit Rescue of the Triad, Winston Salem

Cape Fear House Rabbit Society,Cape Fear

Animal Control, Charlotte

Plus petfinder.com lets you search by area and see ones in your local shelters ;)

Awesome! Thank you. I have checked petfinder.combut havent found anything local yet. I am going to keep looking though.I do agree that a rescue would be the way to go. ;)

Welcome to the forum! I'm so gladyou're researching before you get your first bun. I wish morepeople would (granted, I didn't...).

Since this is your first bun and you're only wanting a pet, I'drecommend adopting an adult, either from a shelter or a retiredbreeding bun from a good breeder. Baby rabbits are very sweetbut their personalities often change when they hit puberty.It can be frustrating for new owners, especially as "teenage" rabbitscan be messy and sometimes aggressive. With adult rabbitsyou'll be able to guage their "actual" personality as they often calmdown some, especially if they're spayed/neutered.

Don't forget to check out Bunny 101, there's all sorts of info inthere. Behavior, litter training, cages, feeding, etc.

:welcome1

Wow! I didnt know that about the babies. I havelearned lots already. I have been doing lots of reading on their care,food, housing, etc. I am glad I know that wires can hurt bunniesfeetsies too. I am planning on building (ok my hubby is) the littlebunnies cage and I want it to be perfect. Thank you everyone for beingso helpful. I look forward to learning more and finally getting my ownbunny to love on. :elephant:

This is my opinion... so please take it as that..

If you get a baby/younger rabbit that is used to being handled it shoudbe ok.. if you go with an older rabbit it could already be "set in it'sways" and be used to being handled in a certian way... I teach anyone Isell a pet to how I PERSONALLY handle them.. that way they know whatthe rabbit is used to.. And yes some rabbits change as they get olderbut that is usually due to them wanting to breed... And even gettingthem fixed is not always the answer I have known people that have hadrabbits fixed (just like dogs) but they still want to "do theirbusiness" so that will not always change their habits.. Isuggest a Breeder rabbit due to the fact you can get more info aboutthe rabbit, the breed and such.. petstores and "shelter" do not knowthe history... And no I am not tryiong to TRASH shelters I work atone... But I know the rabbit world and deal wioth them athome on a daily basis...

Again this is all my opinion...

Steph

Hi, justpeachy!! Welcome to the forum!!

I actually find myself agreeing with everyone's opinions and ideas...

What you say, Stephanie, about them being set in their ways oncethey're older is true, but if one were to find a bun that were as suchthat was really sweet, had good litter habits, etc, that would be goodbecause then it wouldn't then chance once the bun hitspuberty. :) Just a spin I thought I'd add tothings. Hope you don't mind. :)

Anyway, Naturestee's right...there's so much information on this site,I'm sure between the research you can do here, and asking any and allquestions you could possibly have (which we REALLY encourage...we don'tmind tons of questions...we'd rather you ask and find out than not askand have something adverse happen later on!), I think you'll findyourself quite prepared for your bunny(ies) once you bring him/her/themhome! :) And, even once you have him/her/them home,again, feel free to ask any and all questions. We're all herefor one another on Rabbits Only...:)

So...on that note, let me give you a few links that will help you out a bit on what you've mentioned! :)

Here's a good section on Spaying and Neutering, that containsinformation on the different changes you can expect a baby bun to gothrough once it reaches puberty:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12040&forum_id=10

Here's a section that lists various rescue organizations per location (I hope you can find something close to you):
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11713&forum_id=13

If you can't find an org near you from that list, you can try checkingthe Animal Control site for your location, and even calling them andasking them directly. I would give you a link for the one foryour area, but I don't know your exact area (and since this is a siteonline, I wouldn't ask for it...hehe...gotta keep your privacysecure!). Anyway, that's another idea.

Here's a link to the entire Bunny 101 section of the forum. It has SO MUCH great information! :)
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12080&forum_id=17

And here's a link to the Rabbit Health References section, which also has good information:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11899&forum_id=10

So, there ya go! Like I've mentioned, feel free to askaway! We're here for you! (The best idea would beto make a new topic in the Rabbits Only section of the forum for eachquestion you have, that way people see each individual question andanswer them separately for ya. :))

So...welcome!! We're happy to have ya!

Hugs!

Rosie*

Rosie, yes I agree that older rabbits that aregood natured ARE out there.... lol when talking Buns you will usuallyget me from a BREEDER point of view... any other animals you will findme leaning more towards a Shelter point of view..... Rabbitsaremy "soft spot" so to say..andbeingat the shelter (we get FEW rabbits in where I work) Andmost are not too friendly... WHICH DRIVES MECRAZY!!! But Ialso go to petstores and see rabbits that say they are DWARF that Iknow are going to be close to 10 lbs... And I know someshelters do the same thing (mine did before my hubby & Istarted working there...)

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome:inlove:I feel loved already. lol! I do appreciate all the links provided andthe advice that has been offered already. I have learned more aboutbunnies in the past couple of days than I ever thought that I wouldknow. I have been staying up late reading and talking about bunnieslike I was out of my mind. I cant wait to get my first bun. Ihave basically been taking my questions to the links that are soconveniently provided here :tongue So basically, everything that I havewanted to know has been answered by me looking instead of asking. Iknow this prevents yall from getting to know me though so I will try mybest to ask my questions. :woohoo I do feel after all the reading Ihave done, a little something like this :craziness or maybe this:thud::yawn:. lol! I just love these little emoticons. lol! Anyway, Ireally love this site and am just amazed at the knowledge so easilyfound here. At this rate, I will be ready for my bun in NO TIME! Well,off I go to bed so I can re-energize for tomorrowsreading:bed:

Welcome!:bunnydance:Just wanted to say hi, I'm very new here I justsigned up yesterday. This is a great place they are very informativeand helpful! I love it already. Good luck with finding a bun to love.Mine found me!

:apollo:Michelle & The Two Bunbrats.

mlzbb...haha, Bunbrats...too cute!!

And justpeachy...I'm so glad to hear you're learning so muchfrom the site. It's what I did before I brought home my firstbun, Maisie. I just love how incredibly informative this siteis, and I'm so happy I found it when I did!! It was actuallythe first bunny site I found, and I haven't left since! :D

Can't wait to hear about you both!

And, yes, I love those emoticons, too...:D

Hugs to you both!

Rosie*

Welcome to RO justpeachy! This is a great site,you'll soon notice just how kind everyone is and how it's not likeother forums with bickering etc.

This is the first rabbit forum I ever joined and I haven't needed to join any others :love

Welcome. I'm sure you will come to love this forum just like I have. If you are just looking for a pet, definately check your shelters. Both of my buns came from shelters and they are simply perfect, not to mention I paid just $25 for already spayed/neutered bunnies, one with a microchip. The price is up to $50 at my shelter now, but that's still a great price. Take your time. I'm sure you will find the perfecct bunny (or bunnies ;)) for you.

Just throwing this out there, but KimbowUNCW has dozens of babies that need homes. She is in NC. It would be a drive, but just in case you still want a baby....

binkies wrote:
Just throwing this out there, but KimbowUNCW has dozens of babies that need homes. She is in NC. It would be a drive, but just in case you still want a baby....
Good thinking Binkies!! Actually, I think she also has an adult male she needs to rehome as well. Check out our Rescue section if youre interested!

I would LOOOOVE to have gotten a bunny from her. We have already talked through pm. It is too far for me to drive at this time. Especially with gas prices. If I lived closer though. You better believe I would be bringing one home with me. :bunnydance:

Since you mentioned you might want too show.get a purebred bunny.if its been altered you cannot show it.You might want too attend a show for fun.Go to ARBA website you can get your show listings there.bluebird

Latest posts

Back