Hey - What about Hay?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunyBun

Reaction score
Another newbie question that I'm having trouble finding a concrete answer to . . .

We are adopting two rabbits that are medium to large sized (I wouldguess 7lbs each, maybe more). I'm hoping to find a localsource of fresh hay to avoid shipping costs. When Idohow much Hay is appropriate to buy at one time? Idon't want to be buying small quantities (think Petsmart size bags)constantly nor do I want to overbuy and have to store hay that ends upgoing bad before we have a chance to use it all. What do youall do?

Thanks a bunch,

BunyBun . . . only 2 days 'til the buns come "home" to live with us!

If you keep it well ventilated and dry, it won'tgo bad, and buying it by the bale is so much cheaper (and fresher) thanpet food hay, it doesn't matter if you throw a bunchout.

I think I pay $8 for a 2lb bag at the store, and $12 for a 60 lb baleof 2nd cut Timothy. (And I can get it cheaper if I lookaround). Meadow grasses are even cheaper. (I mixseveral types together).

You may also be able to find people selling it by the 'flake', which Ithink works out to a couple of biggarbage bags full once it'sbroken up, for $4 or $5. Sometimes rescue orgs will sell themas fundraisers.

sas

Latest posts

Back