Helping my rabbit deal with the death of her companion

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzyspacecadet

Reaction score
hi everyone

Untill a few days ago i was the proud mom to two beautiful 5 yr oldrabbits that ive had since they were babies. They have neverbeen apart for longer than a day or two. Unfortunatly,Bailey, the male of the pair passed away suddenly two daysago. Im just looking for some advice onhelpingDaisy adjust to being alone, whether or not it wouldbe a good idea to get her another friend, and suggestions to keep herfrom getting bored and lonley. Any advice would be greatlyappreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Suzanne

suzyspacecadet,

You might want to wait a while for to get another rabbit. If Daisy hasben with Baily a long time what I would do is sit and wait and see whatshe does first.

I have had rabbits who kill the rabbit if not used to them and it is a little drastic and it is also to soon.

If any questions please e-mail me at [email protected]

yeah, thats what i thought too. So farshe's been ok, kind of nervous, but when igo and sit with hershe calms down. I'd rather not get another rabbit, because inmy eyes Bailey is ireplacable, but if its in her best interest, i woulddo it

This is pretty morbid... But I was watching ashow on the animal planet. And there was a young girl who had 2 bunnyswho were very close. One of them had died. The show had said that therabbit would get over the lose of its friend easier and accept a newbunny friend better if it had seen the dead friend. That way it wouldunderstand what had happened. I wish you the best of luck!!!

I've heard that too! You are supposed to put thedead bunny in the cage with the other one. Rabbits need to physicallysee that it's dead and it is supposed to help. Some rabbit lay besidethe deceased one while others groom it. If it's possible, it might beworth a shot since I've found many sources that say that.

That makes sense. If you think about it that iswhat we do with funerals. Where I live there are a lot ofgeese. They mate for life. When one dies, for instance getshit by a car, the mate will stay behind with the carces for as long asa week or two. It is so sad to see but we all must grieve.

I've read some things about animals losing theirmates. Many of them mourn and do "pay respect" by groomingthem a final time.

Thanks everyone

Unfortunatly, i thinkits a little late forthat. I was dog sitting, and one of the dogs excaped from itskennel, broke into my rabbits room, and killedBailey.Daisey hid, and he didnt make it intothey're hiding spot. So, she watched him die, and was with him for acouple of hours after. She seems to be acting ok, but thats apretty traumatic experience for a little bunny. She was withhim for a bit after, but im not sure if it was enough. Thissucks :(

I wouldnt wish it one anyone. It wasawful. But, im just trying to concentrate on keeping myremaining bunny healthy and happy.

Latest posts

Back