help...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beans_mommy

Reaction score
hey all anotherdilema we got dusty (bunny witha tude) from a woman who knew nothing boutrabbits i mean didnt even know what theyate......now i find imbedded wood chips in her hind quartersbout the length of her she is an americanfuzzy according to the show i went to.....we moved all herfur up without taking out the undercoating and weused tweezers to take some of the wood out ........need helpas to how to draw the rest out or should i shave the hind toget a better look i have shaving shears so wonthurt her PLEASE HELPASAP i can tell this is really starting to hurther thanks in advancedonna

I would take small, sharp scissors and carefullycut away as much of the hair as possible. You can trysurgical blades in small shears, but you need to be careful.You can do a little each day until you are able to get her cleaned up.

Pam

Oh Dear Heart,

Can't believe this! What a nightmare. Did she ingest the wood or is it stuck to her fur?

If the wood is inside her, then in addition to Pamnock's advice, I'dgive Dusty some Laxitone or Petromalt (spellings?) two times a day,about an inch of each. If you have any pineapple juice, you could gothat route as well. It must be fresh pineapple, and you'd have tosyringe feed it to Dusty. 3 ccs. (from a syringe and it works out to beabout 3 tbls.) every 4 hours, or you can go the canned pumpkin route,which is also very effective against blockages. Should you do thecanned pumpkin, give Dusty as much as she'll take.

Of course, you know that I'm going to tell you that you should see a"rabbit saavy" vet, but I also realize that that might not be possibleand you're it. If it is possible and you're able to get Dusty to anemergency room, I'd do it. There's an excellent facilities in Bostoncalled Angel Memorial Hospital. 617-522-7282. If anyone can help Dusty,they definitely would be the first one I'd go to.

Keep us posted, and we'll pray. If you have any NutriCal, I'd give hersome of that in small dosages if she's not eating. Is she eating ordrinking at all?

I know how upset you are, but the fact that you caught it at all isamazing. Perhaps once Dusty's cleaned out, her attitude will be better.

I'm thinking of you and praying very hard.

-Carolyn

Did your little tucker eat the canned pumpkin? Ordid you have to force feed it? Just wondering. Reason i askis i notice Luv's droppings are so much smaller than roger's. Wonderingif i should feed her some.

Cristy

Ok, I'm confused. Are the chips in her fur, in her flesh, or did she ingest them??? :?

mygrl2k3 wrote:
Did your little tucker eat the canned pumpkin? Or did you haveto force feed it? Just wondering.? Reason i ask is i notice Luv'sdroppings are so much smaller than roger's. Wondering if i should feedher some.

Cristy

Cristy,

I had to force feed the canned pumpkin to Tucker. If you don't have asyringe, you can put some on your finger, and then rub it off justbehind her teeth as you hold her like a baby. Hold her firm and don'tbe afraid to squeeze her into you a bit so she can't get away. Tuckerwould kick and fight. I really learned about being the 'big Kahuna'because I'm not intimidated by his fussing or kicking anymore.

Personally, I'm going to give both of them canned pumpkin each week.I'm also going to give one 3 ccs syringe full of the fresh pineapplejuice. I figure it can't hurt.

Let me know how Luv makes out and what you decide to do.

-Carolyn

I think when i am at the store i will pick upsome canned pumkin and give it to Luv. From what you wentthrough with Tucker it kinda made me relize i need to be more preparedwith stuff for them on hand here or at least have a back up supply ofmoney for stuff. I love my animals but we do live paycheck topaycheck, but if i could just start picking up things here and therethat i might need in the future it might help save thier lives if theyget sick.

Latest posts

Back