Help!!!!! Young Rabbit Pregnant

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkstansell

Reaction score
I was gifted a rabbit from my best friend. She said it was a 3 month old Lionhead/Rex female named Clover. So I bought another female Lionhead, Bonnie, as a companion to Clover. Well.... There was a lot of humping going on & I assumed it was "the establishment of dominance". But then I found out Clover had bunny balls. Now Bonnie, who's 5-6 weeks old is starting to have a fat tummy. She might be pregnant. Will this kill her? Or will the babies die?? What do I do????

If Bonnie really is 5-6weeks old it is almost impossible for her to get her pregnant, the youngest I have ever known a bunny to get pregnant is 10 weeks and that's pretty rare. I would separate them both until old enough to spay and neuter them then bond them together.

I doubt she's pregnant at 5-6 weeks old. I had Clementine before she was fixed, around 8-9 weeks, with Felix just after his neutering (so the hormones were still subsiding) and nothing came of it.

Agree with the others, a 5-6 week old bunny is the equivalent of a 5 year old human child. She's not pregnant.

What do you mean by fat tummy? Does it feel hard and bloated? With a bunny that young taken away from its mother I think some form of digestive upset could be likely.

Update.
Ok.
Bonnie is 100% pregnant. I can actually see the babies moving around in her tummy. So I will ask again... Will this kill her or her baby buns???ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1403533834.073839.jpg

where did you get this rabbit? are you sure it's 5-6 weeks old? it should still be with the mom at the age but some wean them that early. I've never seen babies move inside my buns when they're pregnant. If you're absolutely certain she is pregnant that is very odd because rabbits are not sexually mature at that age. So I guess my assumption is she's either older then 5-6 weeks or she isn't pregnant but I guess she maybe could be? I just never thought it was possible at that age.

Last edited:
She looks quite large for 5-6 weeks - can you double-check her age?

Definitely older than five to six weeks. Any pregnancy always holds risks for any rabbit. If she's still quite young (maybe four months or so) then it is potentially more risky than if she was more developed given that she will still be smaller than full size. If the stomach is quite large and you can see them moving, she is probably only days away from delivery, so at this stage there's not much you can do except to provide her with a nest box and check up on her and if she's showing problems giving birth then potentially a trip to the vet (emergency vet since most bunnies give birth overnight).

If she is pregnant she is definitely not 5-6 weeks old but may still be very young 4 months or so and if you are seeing babies move and not just the normal rolling of intestines then I would say she would be at least 3 weeks along in her pregnancy and since you don't know when she fell pregnant I would be putting the nest box in now, if she soils it and uses it as a litter box remove it everyday clean it out and put it back in, you don't want her caught without a nest box and babies born on the floor, If 35 days pass from when you removed the buck then she wasn't pregnant. As for the risks of a younger rabbit having babies I can not help you there but assume all pregnancy's carry risks and these risks would be higher in a younger bunny.

Latest posts

Back