Help with unexpected litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedi_Col

Reaction score
Hello!
Let me start with a bit of backstory. About two months ago, we found a bunny in our yard that was clearly domestic. After catching it in a cage, we found for some help for finding a home after going door to door asking if anyone lost it. Then about 4 weeks ago, we find ANOTHER bunny hopping around our yard. We took this one in and we’re unable to find a home. What we did find out is that a neighbor has bunnies for some... suspected unscrupulous activities and the police and ASPCA have been notified. Several times. Anyway.. sorry for the long winded story.

We thought it was a male, but surprise! On January 30th we woke up to a litter of ten bunnies. The day before she was trying to get under some chairs and areas and then began pulling fur, but thinking it was a boy we were told that it was probably bored. But yeah, again, surprise!

we don’t have a proper cage or hutch yet. The momma was living in a large cat carrier we had until we figured out what we were going to do. She was only in there during the night for the first week, but then we made an area where she had a large area. I’m getting off topic... sorry. It’s been... hectic lol I was not ready for one bunny Nevermind 11. So she had the babies, I did the research. Set up a nice nesting area. Made sure all the babies were being fed (had two runts who were not getting fed as much, but we took care of them and everything is so far so good) and made sure they’re always warm.

It’s now almost two weeks later. Last night after going in for one of my million checks (I have a method to ensure I don’t interrupt nursing activity), I noticed a baby sitting next to momma all the way across the room. Their eyes are opening and we need a setup ASAP. Now that I FINALLY got to the point, can I get some suggestions on how and what to house them in? Some examples would be great and please, don’t spare the details. I need all the info I can. Do I need to separate any? Is a large hutch the best so the mom has some space? Also, what kind of pellets should I start letting the babies nibble on.

Thank you sooo much in advance for the help. All of my pets have been rescues my entire life and we always do our best to help homeless or abandoned animals. We just did not anticipate a litter and were not prepared. So thanks again!

Hi,

Thank you helpingfor the mother and babies!

Please give the babies and mom Timothy hay, alfalfa hay, and unlimited 18% protein pellets. You can use the Oxbow Young Rabbit Food, Manna Pro Gro formula, or any 18% protein alfalfa based pellets.

Also lots of fresh water as they are learning to drink and eat now.

Are you going to keep them indoors or outdoors for the time being?

Also a word of caution... You may know this but be cautious who you give babies to. People eat rabbits, feed them to snakes, use them as bait to train dogs, etc.

Hi,

Thank you helpingfor the mother and babies!

Please give the babies and mom Timothy hay, alfalfa hay, and unlimited 18% protein pellets. You can use the Oxbow Young Rabbit Food, Manna Pro Gro formula, or any 18% protein alfalfa based pellets.

Also lots of fresh water as they are learning to drink and eat now.

Are you going to keep them indoors or outdoors for the time being?

Also a word of caution... You may know this but be cautious who you give babies to. People eat rabbits, feed them to snakes, use them as bait to train dogs, etc.

oh yeah, we’re aware of that. The house this bunny came from was likely using bunnies for not great things which you had listed. Thanks for the pellet suggestion, that was my main concern. Everything else I’ve pretty much read. I’ve been nonstop studying everything I can find.

my major issue is how to house them, and I have to make a decision fast. They’re going to remain indoors as long as they remain in our care. I was thinking a large hutch that I saw which has multiple levels and even allows a ramp down to floor level to a sort of caged in area. I just don’t know the best thing. Do we keep the mother and babies together in the same hutch? I figure the one with multiple levels would allow mama to escape from the babies into her own area when it’s not feeding time. Thanks again for the help!

What do you feed now? I would advise not to change much now, just give lots of it, unlimited hay of whatever kind anyway. If she did fine so far stick to it for 2 more months. You can supplement with some kitchen oatmeal if they are on the skinny side.
They drink more from bowls than from bottles.

I would not introduce new stuff like different pellets now, or at least very slowly. What you definitly not want is a rabbit with an upset stomach now, it takes time to get used to stuff.

Alfalfa, super protein pellets - great stuff to get rabbits to butcher weight asap, it doesn't hurt when introduced properly but they don't really need special formulated stuff, whatever marketing says.

About housing, a place for the doe get away for about the next 2 weeks is a nice thing to have, like an elevated shelf. Some really appreciate it. Babys stay with mom, in emergencies minimum 4 weeks, normally min. 8 weeks. I seperate the boys at about 12 weeks and keep the girls with mom (and the second doe) for up to 5 months. They'll need quite some space, most commercial hutches for pet rabbits don't cut it, you could post a link to the hutch you are referring to.

Last edited:
According toHouse Rabbit Society, my vet and pretty much everything I have read and my own experience, the babies and nursing mothers do need the alfalfa and extra protein. The mom can go off alfalfa and high protein pellets after weaning, or a little longer, depending on if her body condition needs to recover.
Babies should have additional protein until 7 months. but they should always have access to Timothy Hay during this time as well.

The babies should not be eating solid food yet, or just beginning to, so there shouldn't be any transition for them hopefully. Good point about transitioning the mother gradually to new feed!

I would keep the babies with their mother until at least seven weeks, eight if possible and you need to watch them for signs of illness when they wean.

It's going to be hard to find anything ready-made that's going to be big enough I think. You could try a large metal dog crate with a floor grid added.

Hi, I think you've done some great work already, I was going to suggest basically what Preitler said already.

Don't change pellets just give more, they will start eating what she eats around week 4. She should have unlimited pellets and unlimited hay and lots of fresh water at all times. What pellets do you use? I also wouldn't suggest alfalfa or if you already use them you will want transfer them slowly to regular pellets after she stops nursing (around 7-8 weeks) because they would be too rich for her and she'll gain weight which is not healthy. Babies can stay on alfalfa until 3-4 months but you'd need to separate them for feeding, in my experience they do great on regular pellets so you shouldn't change pellets until 8 weeks anyway.

It is normal that babies start exploring territory after their eyes open, important that they are back to their nest for dinner so don't skip it.

If you could post a pic of your setup and your happy family that would be great so we can see how to improve it but generally I second that you can just build an extra high shelf so she can get some rest from babies. Also if you want more permanent solution you can get a regular large cage like 100x50cm minimum or double floor and keep them in (if you got 2-floor keep it without ramp so they stay on same floor until she's nursing 8 weeks), and she can use second floor for herself as she can jump in there and also you can let her out for a day so she can stay in attached playpen for a day just let her in for night or twice a day for feeding.

My post is already too long there are many ideas for housing but just for next 4 weeks you can use what you already have just make some place for her so she can escape from her hungry kits otherwise she'll be always tired because there are 10 babies and they won't let her lay down and relax. So just make high shelf for her or isolate kits into a smaller cage so she could have her activities during the day in her playpen.

Boys and girls should be separated around week 10, sometimes it is not easy to sex them when they are still very young so keep checking at least weekly, girls can get pregnant around week 14, but some breeds even earlier so by week 14 they shouldn't be kept together otherwise you can have more kits soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info. I’m not changing any food right now. I was asking about food for the babies. I was told not to start pellets/hay until about 2 weeks and that’s in two days. So no need to worry about transitioning food. As I said, I spent the last ten days (day and night) reading through this forum and countless others (as well as many vet calls) to make sure I knew what I needed to do for the initial two weeks. I purchased the Oxbrow young rabbit pellets for the babies which I’ll start with the hay on Wednesday. I guess I’ll have to look further for housing. Although I should be clear that once they are ready, I will be finding homes for the greater majority of them. I was told by many that no earlier than 8 weeks to be given a new home, but I want to ensure success weaning as well. I’ve never had baby bunnies before, so I don’t know how fast they grow. As for what I was looking at, I’ll post a link. Not exactly this hutch, but something like this that has multiple areas. I’m not at home right now so I don’t have a link to the one I had previously thought of buying, but it looked similar to this one, but had another level in the main house section. Thank you guys for all your help. Super appreciate it.

Link to the hutch
Aivituvin 87.8''L Extra Large Chicken Coop, Rabbit House Wooden Hen House Outdoor Bunny Hutch - Upgrade with Bottom PVC Layer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SKH8BMP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_2cGqEb38CBHST

There's no need to start junior pellets until they are weaned at 7-8 weeks. They will eat her milk and her food so just make sure she gets unlimited pellets. What pellets she is on now?

They will grow very fast since 2 weeks and will eat hay and pellets in addition to mother's milk.
When they 6-8 weeks old she will start weaning you don't have to do anything just make sure they have lots of hay and fresh water and you will need much more pellets since they will eat like crazies.

The hutch you are looking at looks nice but would be enough if you want to keep 2 rabbits in it, or 3. The babies will grow really fast. Really fast. By 8 weeks they will be double size of now, by 12 weeks half size of their mother, by 20 weeks 3/4 of her size.

Best time for rehoming is 8-10 weeks. Place lots of advertisements about 2 weeks in advance stating that they are available from 8 weeks which is give your date. You have to find homes for 10 bunnies it's not easy. You will have mixed people interested in them you will have to be selective as some people are not good. Don't be too selective though as you'll be in a very tight spot with 11 full-size bunnies when they are 4 months, and remember you will have to separate girls from boys at 10 weeks, it means you need two enclosures. After 4 months you will need individual enclosure for EACH MALE RABBIT, as they will start fighting. So, try to find homes for males first, girls can stay with mother until 5 months or so, then they will also get territorial and will need to be separated.

Your thread is not first of this kind we had similar just a couple months ago and I will link you there please read and don't make same mistake. I know it is hard to believe that they will grow that fast but you really need to act fast and find homes for majority of them by 10-12 weeks. Boys first.

I wouldn't buy the hutch now tbh unless you want to keep one-two for yourself.

Last edited:
I agree that the kits will start nibbling mom’s pellets at around 2 weeks...let them do this. If you try to start them on a pellet that mom hasn’t been eating then you may be asking for problems. What she eats goes thru the milk so to avoid gut issues in the kits you shouldn’t feed them anything different from the mom until they’re weaned. Once separated from mom, then you can consider switching them, very slowly.

I really have to differ on this.

Lactating mothers and growing babies have different nutritional needs than adult males or unbred, non-lactating females. Pellets formulated for regular maintenance are different from pellets formulated for growing and lactation. That work with a litter of three or four or five bunnies, but this doe is nursing 10. That's a lot. It would be very easy for her to lose body condition on regular maintenance pellets with a litter that size to maintain. It's likely the mother has already had her pellet brand switched once, because it's unlikely that you are feeding her the same thing that her previous owners were. It seems she did okay but there is still no reason to take a chance by switching abruptly.
Majorrv is quite correct to say that when changing foods, transitioning should be done very carefully and gradually. The house rabbit society recommends doing it 25% at a time over a three-week period. I think you can do it in less time than that, but I think you should definitely use the 25% new food / 75% old food ratio to start out, then graduate to 50/50, and then to 75/25. Probably 10 days would be sufficient. in my opinion, it would be best to begin to transition the mother to the young rabbit food at the same time the babies start on it because the mother will have access to the food if it is in the cage and the babies should have access to both the mother and the pellets at all times. Also, the mother's milk will help the babies transition onto the new pellet food if she is eating that food. But it should be gradual. Pregnant, lactating does and babies are all recommended the same diet.
I definitely cannot agree with switching the babies on to the more nutritious pellets at weaning. That is the worst time to make an abrupt change. Weaning is when the rabbits are most fragile and vulnerable. They need to adjust to the food while they still have the protection of the mother's milk.

A word about rehoming the babies.
Contact your local rabbit rescues. They may give you some support in finding homes for the babies. Babies are easier to place than adults and they may have a waiting list of interested parties. Try to place the bunnies in pairs if possible. They will be happier if they have another bunny to bond with. You will probably need some expert help with sexing to make sure mistakes are not made. Even one mistake can be a costly error. Try to get a veterinarian who is rabbit knowledgeable to help do the sexing.
Best wishes to you and the little family.

Back