Help with new baby bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reply to you and @Mom to Minx - he is infact a boy, I’ve named him Milton! He has settled in wonderfully, he loves cuddle up with me, which surprised me being his 2nd day here and consider prior he lived in a hutch outside by himself.. I have booked him (and my other bunny’s) in to get their vaccinations (a whopping £180 to get them all done) they will also be getting flea&worm treatment (just Incase) whilst at the vet they are going to check to see if he is suitable to have his neutering done (as his testicles haven’t properly/fully “dropped” yet) I cannot wait until I can bond him in with my other 2.. thank you all for the lovely comments, he is so small which I’m not used to, he’s is 5 months and my eldest mini lop (Eugene) was much bigger than him at only 3 months haha, I’m so grateful that I got the chance to take this little guy in the even despite my absolute adamants that I would not have anymore than two 🙈 couldn’t help myself, he needed my help.. he will always be cared for and loved by myself, I will keep you all updated on how his vet visit goes!! ❤️

He is eating very well also, he likes to cover himself in hay and make an absolute mess.. but he is thriving when it come to his eating and drinking. Both his stool and urine are consistent on looking normal, which is amazing as I have started the process of moving him to adult food. View attachment 65869View attachment 65869
Well he’s adorable and it looks like you got a winner. Hoppy times ahead for you both
Here’s a pic or 3 of my Minx

Attachments

• IMG_6734.jpeg
    IMG_6734.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6736.png
    IMG_6736.png
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1925.jpeg
    IMG_1925.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Well he’s adorable and it looks like you got a winner. Hoppy times ahead for you both
Here’s a pic or 3 of my Minx
Oh she is just the cutest!!! Gonna have to attach some pictures of my other 2 bunnies black&white is Eugene, white albino is Cora

Attachments

• IMG_2908.jpeg
    IMG_2908.jpeg
    239 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2348.jpeg
    IMG_2348.jpeg
    345.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2283.jpeg
    IMG_2283.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
reply to you and @Mom to Minx - he is infact a boy, I’ve named him Milton! He has settled in wonderfully, he loves just cuddle up with me, which surprised me being his 2nd day here and consider prior he lived in a hutch outside by himself.. I have booked him (and my other bunny’s) in to get their vaccinations (a whopping £180 to get them all done) they will also be getting flea&worm treatment (just Incase) whilst at the vet they are going to check to see if he is suitable to have his neutering done (as his testicles haven’t properly/fully “dropped” yet) I cannot wait until I can bond him in with my other 2.. thank you all for the lovely comments, he is so small which I’m not used to, he’s is 5 months and my eldest mini lop (Eugene) was much bigger than him at only 3 months haha, I’m so grateful that I got the chance to take this little guy in the even despite my absolute adamants that I would not have anymore than two 🙈 couldn’t help myself, he needed my help.. he will always be cared for and loved by myself, I will keep you all updated on how his vet visit goes!! ❤️

He is eating very well also, he liked to cover himself in hay (added some pictures) and make an absolute mess.. but he is thriving when it come to his eating and drinking. Both his stool and urine are consistent on looking normal, which is amazing as I have started the process of moving him to adult food.
Skip the flea and worm treatment. Only use that when they actually have fleas or worms.

Skip the flea and worm treatment. Only use that when they actually have fleas or worms.
I was recommended by my vet to give my rabbits a flea/tick/worm prevention stuff (not necessarily treatment), I didn’t request this, it is part of the health plan that I have for my rabbits

I was recommended by my vet to give my rabbits a flea/tick/worm prevention stuff (not necessarily treatment), I didn’t request this, it is part of the health plan that I have for my rabbits
Is your vet on the RWAF vet list? https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/recommended-rabbit-friendly-vets/ Rabbit vets in the UK do not recommend any preventative treatment for fleas or worms. Not a good idea to apply unnecessary chemicals or give unnecessary medication.

Is your vet on the RWAF vet list? https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/recommended-rabbit-friendly-vets/ Rabbit vets in the UK do not recommend any preventative treatment for fleas or worms. Not a good idea to apply unnecessary chemicals or give unnecessary medication.
Ah I see, well I’ll turn it down then when I go in for their vaccinations. And I don’t think so, it’s my local vet, I do not have much option unfortunately I don’t have many -exotic- or rabbit specific veterinary clinics near me and even if I did, I don’t drive and would rack up a lot more money to cab, and abit difficult to bus with 3 rabbits 😂 thank you for informing me. Another thing, it confused me, my rabbit is 5 months and I want to get him neutered and they claim he isn’t old enough, but I thought he was as I had one of my others done at 5 months.. and may of things I’ve said have said that bucks can be castrated from as early as 10 weeks? I’m usually good with this stuff but everyone is telling me different things are I’m getting all turnt around hahaha

Ah I see, well I’ll turn it down then when I go in for their vaccinations. And I don’t think so, it’s my local vet, I do not have much option unfortunately I don’t have many -exotic- or rabbit specific veterinary clinics near me and even if I did, I don’t drive and would rack up a lot more money to cab, and abit difficult to bus with 3 rabbits 😂 thank you for informing me. Another thing, it confused me, my rabbit is 5 months and I want to get him neutered and they claim he isn’t old enough, but I thought he was as I had one of my others done at 5 months.. and may of things I’ve said have said that bucks can be castrated from as early as 10 weeks? I’m usually good with this stuff but everyone is telling me different things are I’m getting all turnt around hahaha
Ah, that's unfortunate you can't travel. I don't suppose you are anywhere near Camden? The Beaumont hospital in Camden is fantastic for rabbits. Yes, you are right, males can be neutered as soon as testicles descend, normally around 10-12 weeks. I certainly recommend that at least for the neutering you go to a good rabbit vet.

Ah, that's unfortunate you can't travel. I don't suppose you are anywhere near Camden? The Beaumont hospital in Camden is fantastic for rabbits. Yes, you are right, males can be neutered as soon as testicles descend, normally around 10-12 weeks. I certainly recommend that at least for the neutering you go to a good rabbit vet.
Noo, I’m on the outskirts of london, pretty much country side 😅 and I thought so!! They said “oh well have to weight him because 5 months is too young” and I tried to say that I literally got my other male done there in the exact same clinic at 5month old 2years ago. So it confused me, I’ve checked Milton, and not to be explicit 😂 but his testicles are like loose skin, they’re not like full “balls” 😩 not sure of a better way to explain it, so maybe they haven’t fully dropped yet? But I’m not sure, I kind of need to get him done though to bond him in with my others

So am I, Enfield, right next to the green belt. But we have a very good rabbit vet nearby in East Barnet. Where in London are you? There must be a rabbit vet you can get to. Yes, you need to get him neutered and then wait 8 weeks before attempting to bond.

So am I, Enfield, right next to the green belt. But we have a very good rabbit vet nearby in East Barnet. Where in London are you? There must be a rabbit vet you can get to. Yes, you need to get him neutered and then wait 8 weeks before attempting to bond.
I’m on the very very edge of northwest, like leadings out of “London” if that makes sense, I don’t exactly live in a big town so to get to better vets I need to branch out further toward the central london area, which would mean I need to bus & train to get there which isn’t ideal, trust me, I’ve really tired to find a better vet.. and that’s what I’m trying to tell my vet like of course I have them separate but they know that they are both there, they can smell eachother on me, neither of them have shown any aggression towards that 🙏thank god, but I don’t want them to get to a point of getting agitated by each others smells, but, I’m taking all my rabbits into the vet on Monday and I’m getting him weighed, they said if he is big enough then he might be able too but “he’s too young” 🙄

Diane R is right. Usually their testicles descend around 3 months old, in small to medium breed rabbits. But it can sometimes happen later. It's possible he's a late bloomer, especially if he doesn't display any of the typical hormonal behaviors yet.

Another possibility is that rabbits can suck their testicles up into their body. Which would have the appearance of a bare spot or flap of skin where the testicle would be. The best time to catch sight of them descended, is when the rabbit is relaxed and warm.

https://vethelpdirect.com/pet-health-library/condition-rabbit-swollen-testicles/

Another possibility of undescended testicles when they should already have descended, is cryptorchidism.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Spaying_and_neutering_rabbits

over the last few years there has been quite a bit of research done regarding waiting longer before neutering pets and how very, very good that is for their health especially in their senior years (specifically with preventing cancer and liver/kidney issues). Preventing their normal hormone cycles to never happen, can be very problematic. I urge you to do some research on it and see for yourself if you might want to wait at least a few more months. Interestingly enough, to me anyways, apparently female cats do not seem to suffer from being spayed before their first cycle, even as young as just a few moths... the same cannot be said for male cats, or rabbits or dogs of either sex. This also leads me to the suggestion that can sometimes be not so popular on sites like this, and that would be to research EVERYTHING your veterinarian recommends... and I mean literally everything, even from seemingly very competent vets, because your pet's life can very easily and literally depend on YOU doing ample research. And never be afraid to ask your vet EXACTLY why they are recommending something, any potential risks and any options.

I think it might be the case that be just hasn’t dropped yet, as he has essentially loose flaps of skin where they should be, but I will ask anyway, as they where saying it depends on his age and weight

over the last few years there has been quite a bit of research done regarding waiting longer before neutering pets and how very, very good that is for their health especially in their senior years (specifically with preventing cancer and liver/kidney issues). Preventing their normal hormone cycles to never happen, can be very problematic. I urge you to do some research on it and see for yourself if you might want to wait at least a few more months. Interestingly enough, to me anyways, apparently female cats do not seem to suffer from being spayed before their first cycle, even as young as just a few moths... the same cannot be said for male cats, or rabbits or dogs of either sex. This also leads me to the suggestion that can sometimes be not so popular on sites like this, and that would be to research EVERYTHING your veterinarian recommends... and I mean literally everything, even from seemingly very competent vets, because your pet's life can very easily and literally depend on YOU doing ample research. And never be afraid to ask your vet EXACTLY why they are recommending something, any potential risks and any options.
I appreciate the comment, I have researched a whole deal of things when it comes down to the health and care of rabbits, I have been a rabbit owner for a good almost 4 years now.. of course I do not know everything, and everything that I am stuck on I ask my vet and come to get another opinion from the lovely people on here, it’s not a matter of assuming that everything you read on the internet is true but it’s nice to read and know other peoples opinions and or experiences. In my case I am dealing with a 5 month old buck, so male. I do understand what you are saying about the benefits of waiting but in my case it is needed as soon as possible and that is the best option for him right now, a small bit of back story; he is a 5 month old male who I had adopted from a woman as a surrender, he was poorly treated and neglected, the woman suffers from a manic disorder and had very plainly stated that if I didn’t want him and didn’t pick him up within the next day or so then he would be taken to be euthanatised or “set free” in a field.. my options being very slim, I obviously took him, baring in mind I have 2 other rabbits that are freeroam in my room, both are spayed/neutered. I had Eugene done at 5 months and Cora at around 10/11 as she was also adopted, not brought. So of course I could find a way to accommodate him being left for a few months before I get him done, but within the circumstances I need to get him done whenever I can in order to keep him with my others, as I can’t leave him trapped in a cage for months on end, and I’ve only got one room that is “bunny proof” and like I’ve said is already the room that my other 2 live in. I completely understand that there are factors that might make it better if I waited but there are also cons to that, that’s why I came on here to discuss this matter, both sides of getting him done or waiting have pros and cons. I have done so much research on this, and I always will, I would never spur of the moment make a decision that could be detrimental to my pets health, but like I already mentioned having multiple opinions with the word of other peoples experiences does help. Thank you ☺️☺️

Back