Help with new baby bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allenstacy74

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I thought I’d ask for some advice as I have 2 adult rabbits and am soon to be adopting a surrendered 5 month baby bunny.. I am well aware of all bonding process etc etc, the only concern I have is what to feed him, which might sound strange but, should I give him alfalfa hay or Timothy, and should I give him junior or adult pellets?
I have tried to research more into it but I’m not really getting a solid answer, it says roughly 7/8 months to move onto adult food and Timothy hay, but others say 5/6 months.. I’m unsure of what he has been eating previously, as the woman who I am taking him from has unfortunately neglected him, and I’m in a rush to find out as I will be collecting him within the next few days/week or so and I don’t want to take any risks that may affect his health.. any help will be so so so appreciated! ❤️

Hi everyone, I thought I’d ask for some advice as I have 2 adult rabbits and am soon to be adopting a surrendered 5 month baby bunny.. I am well aware of all bonding process etc etc, the only concern I have is what to feed him, which might sound strange but, should I give him alfalfa hay or Timothy, and should I give him junior or adult pellets?
I have tried to research more into it but I’m not really getting a solid answer, it says roughly 7/8 months to move onto adult food and Timothy hay, but others say 5/6 months.. I’m unsure of what he has been eating previously, as the woman who I am taking him from has unfortunately neglected him, and I’m in a rush to find out as I will be collecting him within the next few days/week or so and I don’t want to take any risks that may affect his health.. any help will be so so so appreciated! ❤️
My bunnies are aged 2 & 3 years now so it’s been a while since I did the whole baby bunny process haha

First, keep feeding what he is used to, and gradually, over a week or so depending how different the diet is, change to whatever you feed the others.

This isn't a baby anymore, and since your goal isn't max growth rate anyway you can feed whatever you plan to do long term. A lot of those "special" pellets are mainly about marketing, and normal grass hay is perfectly ok.

First, keep feeding what he is used to, and gradually, over a week or so depending how different the diet is, change to whatever you feed the others.

This isn't a baby anymore, and since your goal isn't max growth rate anyway you can feed whatever you plan to do long term. A lot of those "special" pellets are mainly about marketing, and normal grass hay is perfectly ok.
Thank you so much! Although I’m not sure what he’s used to.. that’s my concern. I’m not sure what she was even feeding him?

When you get him, ask for some of the food pellets he's been getting fed. (Offer a few bucks in compensation if necessary.) That way you can use these to transition him to whatever pellets you'd like to use. Mixing his current pellets with the new is how to transition as Prietler explained.

But if there's no way to get or buy the pellets he was on previously so you can transition, starting with free fed good quality grass hay (timothy, orchard, etc) usually is best, then gradually introduce a high quality grass based pellet over that first week, as Preitler mentioned. And keep an eye out for gut upset or abnormal changes in the poop.

The main thing is making sure the bunny is eating the hay really well as you transition the pellets in. Good quality (no mold) grass hay is usually the food least likely to cause digestive issues when suddenly introduced, and is the best for good gut health. Which is why it's the best food to start out with if you don't have any of the rabbits usual food. Provided the rabbit eats the hay really well.

If he isn't eating much or any hay no matter what you try, including trying a little alfalfa if necessary, you may need to do a sudden introduction of pellets. It's not ideal, but you don't want to risk GI stasis. Feeding a good quality pellet is something that can help minimize the chances of digestive upset occurring.

The recommendations for when to change pellets and what hay to feed, are just general guidelines. The main thing with rabbits is that they're getting the right balance of protein and nutrients for good body condition and a healthy weight, and enough fiber for good gut motility. And not too much calcium in the diet that it's causing excess calcium sediment in the urine. If the rabbit is maintaining a healthy weight, has healthy looking poop, and not too much calcium sediment in the urine, then it's a good dietary balance for the rabbit.

Monitoring your rabbits weight

https://bunssb.org/bunnies/guide-bunny-poops

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Urine

https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/feeding.html

We have accepted adults and young buns from the local shelter, or numerous captured abandoned domestics have found their way to our rescue organization.

Shelter buns often get whatever is donated, and only if the volunteer/socializers are savvy as to decent food, then a volunteer will transition to better quality pellet and hay.

Our rescues were given the Oxbow Adult Essentials or Oxbow Young Rabbit pellets immediately upon intake. We monitor closely for any GI upset or refusal to eat the quality pellets given.

I ditto JBun's comments on general guidelines. Our 5-week-old dutch youngsters from the shelter along with Mom did not stay on the alfalfa-based young rabbit food for (an entire) 8 weeks. Transitioned to our quality pellet -- and the adult mom and babies were removed from a horse farm, surrendered to shelter, where we had no idea what the horse farm provided. May have been a petting-zoo type of scenario?

p.s. At the shelter we tossed the donated fruit-loop type food that came with any surrendered rabbit! Same for the rescues that found our way into our home. Fruit-loop, sugary candy-ish non-quality food was immediately tossed. Our crew transitioned well to quality nutrition.

Thank you for taking in this neglected soul,

Update:
He is now in my care, not sure of his breed. I pleaded with the previous owner for more information and she made me aware he was on baby food and Is transitioning over to adult. So I am carrying that transition on although she had admitted to me that he hadn’t eaten in about 3 or 4 days prior to me collecting him… She made me aware that she was unsure whether he was actually a male or female, and I don’t want to start picking him up checking him as he’s only just got here. Going to take him into the vets in a couple days as she told me he has had NO vaccinations or neutering, so going to sort that out then bond him in with my other two once I know he is in good health and is healed from neutering. Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it! I’ll attach some pictures of him ( he is in a temporary pen while he’s acclimates to being here a little more) any ideas of what breed he might be?

Attachments

• IMG_4698.jpeg
    IMG_4698.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4699.jpeg
    IMG_4699.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Not eaten in 3 or 4 days?! Poor bunny. He must have eaten or he would be in a terrible state. Has he eaten anything since he's been with you? He's very cute. Crossbreed. Thank you for giving him a good home.

Not eaten in 3 or 4 days?! Poor bunny. He must have eaten or he would be in a terrible state. Has he eaten anything since he's been with you? He's very cute. Crossbreed. Thank you for giving him a good home.
She said he has had hay but she had thrown his pellets and veg away 3 to 4 days peor as she assumed he’d be gone the same day so he was eating the hay that was in his butch but no other food.. and yes, when I got him home, I gave him fresh hay and water and he had some food (nuggets and veg (proportioned) he is a very sweet boy, I gave him abit of probiotic/vitamin powder with his food. He doesn’t seem unwell, although he is booked in for a check up anyway just to be sure, but he seems happy, he’s currently sleeping flopped in a big pile of hay haha

Sounds like he's doing just fine and has settled in well if he's flopping already. Having only free fed good quality grass hay for a few days (or longer) is fine when a rabbit eats it well. Better than being on too many pellets. Plus the bun eating lots of hay means he's likely coming to you with good gut health.

His color is harlequin, or I think tri colored if there's any white spots as well. But when breeding lines are unknown and there are no definitive characteristics (lop ears, rex fur, distinct body type, etc), a rabbit is considered a mixed breed, like Diane R mentioned.

If you wanted to try and determine the sex before the vet visit, if you can get him to put his front paws up on something, you may be able to get a peak under there. If you don't see anything, it could be either, but if you see pink testicles then you know for sure it's a male.

She said he has had hay but she had thrown his pellets and veg away 3 to 4 days peor as she assumed he’d be gone the same day so he was eating the hay that was in his butch but no other food.. and yes, when I got him home, I gave him fresh hay and water and he had some food (nuggets and veg (proportioned) he is a very sweet boy, I gave him abit of probiotic/vitamin powder with his food. He doesn’t seem unwell, although he is booked in for a check up anyway just to be sure, but he seems happy, he’s currently sleeping flopped in a big pile of hay haha
Thank you for the reply, he seems to be doing very well, he is running around (zoomies and binkies) eat & drinking, and both feces and urine are normal.. he has no white spots, he’s is tan with black markings, standing ears and similar face shape to my mini lops, but he is rather small, he is 5 months, and my mini lop (Eugene) was bigger than him at 3 months haha! And I am going to check him tonight to see whether he actually is male or not, I did have a brief look but didn’t see any noticeable testicles, so going to do a better check :)

Sounds like he's doing just fine and has settled in well if he's flopping already. Having only free fed good quality grass hay for a few days (or longer) is fine when a rabbit eats it well. Better than being on too many pellets. Plus the bun eating lots of hay means he's likely coming to you with good gut health.

His color is harlequin, or I think tri colored if there's any white spots as well. But when breeding lines are unknown and there are no definitive characteristics (lop ears, rex fur, distinct body type, etc), a rabbit is considered a mixed breed, like Diane R mentioned.

If you wanted to try and determine the sex before the vet visit, if you can get him to put his front paws up on something, you may be able to get a peak under there. If you don't see anything, it could be either, but if you see pink testicles then you know for sure it's a male.
So just done a check, and I might have to ask my vet as I did have a look at some diagrams of what I’m suppose to be looking for, but as it goes, it looks like he has male genitalia but no visible testicles, which is “apparently” a common thing? Not entirely sure, didn’t see/feel any nipples, but can’t see or feel testicles either 😂

So just done a check, and I might have to ask my vet as I did have a look at some diagrams of what I’m suppose to be looking for, but as it goes, it looks like he has male genitalia but no visible testicles, which is “apparently” a common thing? Not entirely sure, didn’t see/feel any nipples, but can’t see or feel testicles either 😂
Upon further inspection.. he’s a boyyyyy 🎉🎉

He is very cute! He looks much like my girl, Minx. Sh happy you have chosen to love and care for him/her!🥰🥰🐇💕❤️

@allenstacy74 , thank you for the photos of your darling and lucky to have your TLC - boy!! I am in love.

I have always had a soft spot for harlequins. Kindly keep us posted on how he does with his hay nommage, marble output, and nutrition.
reply to you and @Mom to Minx - he is infact a boy, I’ve named him Milton! He has settled in wonderfully, he loves just cuddle up with me, which surprised me being his 2nd day here and consider prior he lived in a hutch outside by himself.. I have booked him (and my other bunny’s) in to get their vaccinations (a whopping £180 to get them all done) they will also be getting flea&worm treatment (just Incase) whilst at the vet they are going to check to see if he is suitable to have his neutering done (as his testicles haven’t properly/fully “dropped” yet) I cannot wait until I can bond him in with my other 2.. thank you all for the lovely comments, he is so small which I’m not used to, he’s is 5 months and my eldest mini lop (Eugene) was much bigger than him at only 3 months haha, I’m so grateful that I got the chance to take this little guy in the even despite my absolute adamants that I would not have anymore than two 🙈 couldn’t help myself, he needed my help.. he will always be cared for and loved by myself, I will keep you all updated on how his vet visit goes!! ❤️

He is eating very well also, he liked to cover himself in hay (added some pictures) and make an absolute mess.. but he is thriving when it come to his eating and drinking. Both his stool and urine are consistent on looking normal, which is amazing as I have started the process of moving him to adult food.

Attachments

• IMG_4713.jpeg
    IMG_4713.jpeg
    967.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4714.jpeg
    IMG_4714.jpeg
    973.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4715.jpeg
    IMG_4715.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
@allenstacy74 , thank you for the photos of your darling and lucky to have your TLC - boy!! I am in love.

I have always had a soft spot for harlequins. Kindly keep us posted on how he does with his hay nommage, marble output, and nutrition.
reply to you and @Mom to Minx - he is infact a boy, I’ve named him Milton! He has settled in wonderfully, he loves cuddle up with me, which surprised me being his 2nd day here and consider prior he lived in a hutch outside by himself.. I have booked him (and my other bunny’s) in to get their vaccinations (a whopping £180 to get them all done) they will also be getting flea&worm treatment (just Incase) whilst at the vet they are going to check to see if he is suitable to have his neutering done (as his testicles haven’t properly/fully “dropped” yet) I cannot wait until I can bond him in with my other 2.. thank you all for the lovely comments, he is so small which I’m not used to, he’s is 5 months and my eldest mini lop (Eugene) was much bigger than him at only 3 months haha, I’m so grateful that I got the chance to take this little guy in the even despite my absolute adamants that I would not have anymore than two 🙈 couldn’t help myself, he needed my help.. he will always be cared for and loved by myself, I will keep you all updated on how his vet visit goes!! ❤️

He is eating very well also, he likes to cover himself in hay and make an absolute mess.. but he is thriving when it come to his eating and drinking. Both his stool and urine are consistent on looking normal, which is amazing as I have started the process of moving him to adult food. View attachment 65869View attachment 65869

Back