Help with bunny diet

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAXX55

Reaction score
For years now (5 to be exact) I've been trying to find the correct diet for my bunny. Ireadhay is at the top of the list along with pellets and fresh water. I also read freshgreensshouldbe part of their diet too.Same goes for treatson special occasions. Ifollow theseguidelines the best I can but here's my problem.At times when Iwake up in the a.m.I always check first on bun-bun and will find soft stools in her pen. It is not runny but more likepeanut butterstyle. She will stepin it and then I have my hands full trying to get her clean.

I feed her unlimited Brown's Timothy Hay, LM Animal Farms Vita-Vittles (made by Hartz), and only a small amount ofgreens at times. The LM Vita-Vittles has a mixture of regular pellets, colored nuggets (which she goes crazy for) and crushed corn. I REMOVE THE CORN. I read corn is loaded with carbs and isn't good.

I tried other pellets such as KAYTEE FortiDiet Pro Health w/DHA Omega 3 and another styls called Exact Rainbow w/DHA Omega 3 but she turns her nose up at it.:X

As far as the fresh greens, we tried the flat leaf parsley and romaine lettuce - freshly grown from my garden (no chemicals) andsome clover and dandelions (again, no chemicals). Afterwards the soft poo will show up, not always, but at times.

Isit possiblemixingcan cause this problem or should certain foods be given at certain times of the day?

HELP :?

As to the pellets when we change brands and type we did it over a week blending and eliminating the old ones. Some of our bunnies didn't like it, but they came around--it was that or no pellet at all. As to the greens, we spread out giving them their vege's three times a day in small amounts. Depending on the bunny, some get more than other's as they have a lesser reaction in the poo department. We have two that get only a tiny amount of greens or else it's cleanup on aisle two.

So cleanup on aisle two IS a common thing with bunnies...even when you give them the right foods. I read the article posted by Pipp on "The Importance Of Diet In Rabbits" and found it very informative. I guesswe need to find the right blend.

What brand name pellets do you use?

For the dandelion: I gave some to my bun and he really likes them - however my son said he was farting - now I've never heard Peaches do this but my son swears he farts - mostly it's after he's had dandelion - so I haven't given him some in a while.

Latest posts

Back