Help With Babies...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks that helps. So far the two remaining bunnies seem to be doing fine. So I guess we will wait and see.

How do you disinfect the cages?What do youuse? How often do youdo that?

Thanks once more for the good info:D

CFrench wrote:
Thanks that helps. So far the two remaining bunnies seem tobe doing fine. So I guess we will wait and see.

How do you disinfect the cages?What do youuse? How often do youdo that?

Thanks once more for the good info:D

Cages can be sprayed off out in the sun with a 10 percent bleachmixture or any disinfectant. This can be done periodically.

Nest boxes should be disinfected after each litter. Feed/Water containers should be disinfected weekly.

The ideal ventilation requirement is 10 full air exchanges per hour.

If the cages are not wire bottom, the "toilet area" should be scoopedout daily. Wet hay/poopies should be removed daily from thecage. Wet/soiled bedding should be removed from the nestbox. Do not completely replace the bedding as the babies relyon the scent. If it is all removed, theymay wanderfrom the box in search of "their" nest.

Keep the cage dry and clean. Bacterias and parasites can be spread through urine and fecal droppings.

Pam N.

Pam,

As a former professional teacher, it is so inspiring to"watch"you at work on the Internet, teaching. Yourreplies are infomative,succinct, and interesting, to boot! Ialways read your responses, whether the subject is of particularinterest to me, or not, for I know I'm going to learn something new.

Your own children are fortunate to have you as a home schooling parent. :cool:

Buck

Thank you Buck :)It's exciting to have the world as a classroom. EvenSandman's memorial service led to a science "lesson" as we were able toobserve the entire root system of a plant that had formed under theplastic barrier near Sandman's newly dug grave. Then we wentinside toexamine the roots of the plant under themicroscopewhich led to Matthew examining everything in thehouse under the microscope :).

Pam

Thank you once again. We have tried to take allthe information we are gathering and file it away. We have read a fewbooks but I suppose we weren't as prepared for the kits as we shouldhave been. The little ones are still doing fine and mother seems to bedoing her job.

Don't be discouraged . . .

Sometimes you can do everything right, yetstill have everything go wrong :(

Pam

Don't know what your setup with the cage is, mineare in an old bus and it is not much warmer than outside. Wehave a heater in the winter. But what we learned in Aprilwhen we lost a few kits to the cold and managed to revive some others,was I always now put them on the top cages and put shop drop lights,with the sivler half dome on, over the nest boxes on the top of thecages. A 60 watt bulb seems to keep the nests warm andtoasty. Since then I have been putting the lights up when Iput the boxes in. That way the nesting material is nice andwarm, the hay getrs warm, so even the first timers, who may no pullenough fur, have a nice warm place. The other solution, whichI used last winter when we had below zero weather, was I bring theboxes inside and only bring them out twice a day for a little while sothey can nurse. It worked well, but I think the light idea iseasier. Hope you hang on to the last two. Donna

Thanks...that was a good idea I did wonder aboutlights and if you could take the kits in . I think that we won't tryand have any in the winter as here in Wyoming it does get very cold. Wedid notice tonight that when we looked in on them they almost appear totry and hop? For such little creatures they sure do move, and by theway one of the two remaining ones is the one that I lost under the cagethat I thought the mom had eaten.:D

Back