Help! Rabbit very sick?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siennablue9879

Reaction score
Yesterday, I adopted a 6 week old male mini lop/lion head cross. Today, I woke up, and something seems very wrong with the bunny.
Hour 1: He is not supporting his head, and is very limp, and unresponsive. He has not pooped or urinated, and is not drinking or eating. There were no wires he could have chewed, no plants, no paints or chemicals. Last night he seemed perfectly fine, was hopping around, eating, pooping, peeing, etc. Not supporting himself, laying limp like a ragdoll, and would not use his legs. I'd pick him up, and he would just flop.
Hour 2: I've put him on the heating pad, and he's become a little more responsive. For instance, I'll set him down, and he'll move to situate himself so that his feet are tucked under him, or I'll nudge him, and he'll squirm around a bit in the towel he's swaddled in. Tried to give him some more fluids, he wouldn't drink. Noticed he's yawned a couple times (not sure if that's relevant).
Hour 3: I tried to give him some water, he didn't drink it, squirmed out of his towel, and skittered around on the bed as if he was drunk, dizzy, and did not know up from down, toppled onto his side, set himself onto his feet, and peed a little.
15 minutes later: He insists on laying on his left side. Does not want to sit upright anymore. Very disoriented. Kicks and rolls around when I try to sit him on his feet.

Tomorrow, I may be able to get him to the vet, as they are not open today, on sundays, and there is no emergency care anywhere around me. Of course I need to take him to the vet; this is a no-brainer. But if any of you know anything about this, I'd appreciate it from the bottom of my heart that you tell me everything you can. I just hope he survives through the night.

NOTE: Although I know I'm going to get shunned for saying this, I'd like to avoid the vet if at all possible. From what I see right now, that does not seem likely. But when I say "I'd like to avoid the vet if possible", I do not mean I would refrain from going to the vet when my rabbit needs it; I'm sure he will have to, and I will gladly take him. What I'm saying is that if there are any homeopathic treatments I may be able to try, that are reliable and will help my bunny, I'd much prefer to help him myself, at home. Thanks so much.

This rabbit is too young to have been brought home.

The fact that he is this bad all ready, something is seriously wrong.
I highly doubt any home treaments will help, and they will most likely stress him, which can make an all ready serious problem even worse.

He needs fluids, so even a cat and dog vet could administer those. But if you absolutely can't find a vet to get him into, you need to try to administer electrolytes to him, not just plain water. You can use a 1-3cc syringe without a needle. Plain children's pedialyte is good to use, or if you have to you could maybe make up a homemade solution. You'll want to make sure it is tepid and not cold, and squirt slowly into the side of the mouth, giving him time to swallow each little bit so he doesn't aspirate any of it. Also keeping him warm, but not hot, with the heating pad will help as well. Here's one recipe I found.
http://www.justcockatiels.net/homemade-lactated-ringers.html

But given all this, a vet is very necessary when you can get him into one. Lack of responsiveness in any species is very dire. All the electolytes may do is help stabilize him enough til you can get to the vets, but he may also need meds and syringe feedings to help get him better.

Last edited:
He needs fluids, so even a cat and dog vet could administer those. But if you absolutely can't find a vet to get him into, you need to try to administer electrolytes to him, not just plain water. You can use a 1-3cc syringe without a needle. Plain children's pedialyte is good to use, or if you have to you could maybe make up a homemade solution. You'll want to make sure it is tepid and not cold, and squirt slowly into the side of the mouth, giving him time to swallow each little bit so he doesn't aspirate any of it. Also keeping him warm, but not hot, with the heating pad will help as well. Here's one recipe I found.
http://www.justcockatiels.net/homemade-lactated-ringers.html

But given all this, a vet is very necessary when you can get him into one. Lack of responsiveness in any species is very dire. All the electolytes may do is help stabilize him enough til you can get to the vets, but he may also need meds and syringe feedings to help get him better.

Thank you so much. I'm giving this to him now. Should I give this to him in doses until I get him into the vet, or should I just administer it once?

I guess it depends on how he responds to the electrolytes. If he perks up and starts improving, you may not need to give him too much more. Have you noticed anything else that might have been wrong with him- is his poop soft at all or mucous in it, was he eating and drinking ok(if using a bottle you need to make sure it's working), is his belly bloated at all and/or firm to the touch? Was he acting really stressed being in a new home? He needs to start eating and drinking on his own, so if he does start feeling better, try and encourage him to eat and drink.

Is he eating the same brand of food as from where you got him from or did you change foods when you got him? What else did he get fed(what kind of hay, any treats)?

Little Marvin passed away. He did not respond well to the electrolytes, and I went to phone an emergency clinic, as I became very panicked. When I got back into the room, he was breathing very hard and shaking, as he arched his back. I knew he was dying. He passed away in my arms a couple minutes later. Thank you for all your help. I really do appreciate it. It's a very sad day, and I only wish I could have found the number for the clinic and called earlier.

LOTS and LOTS of six week old bunnies are sold without issue, so I don't think age is the dominate factor here.

The rapidity at at which this happens suggests that bunny was carrying something before he was brought home...perhaps not positively symptomatic, but brewing something most likely.

If I were you, I would contact the person that you got him from...if from a store or a breeder. For a young rabbit to die within 24 hours of having him means that something was wrong with the bun when you got it. (most of time that is).

Last edited:
Agree with ladysown...it sounds to me like he already had something wrong with him and was asymptomatic when you got him. Contact whoever you got him from as they need to know.

I am so sorry for your loss, I experienced a bout of hypoglycemia with my bun when he was very young that was vey similar to the symptoms you described.

Latest posts

Back