Help! Naughty bunny problems.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Fraggles is usually a good girl. She has free run of the house and that has not been a problem. We usually have a few "naughty bunny days" here and there. But those are not a big deal. But the last few days have been terrible. She knows the words "no" "get down" and "leave it" but it no longer matters. The last few days she has been on everything and into everything. I turn my back and I hear "crash" followed by "hophophophop" away from the crime scene. I was in the shower today and she got into the trash! Yes the trash! She knocked over the can and pulled out all the trash all over the kitchen. No I don't own a dog lol it was Fraggles. She got on the coffee table and shredded some papers I was working on while I was talking to my mom in law. I have had to cage her which I don't want to do. The spray bottle she does not seem to care about anymore. Yes she is spayed. I knew checkered giants could be unruly but this is crazy. Any advice? She is still sweet and wants to be petted. I don't want her in her cage. I love her and want her out with me. :(

I guess the devil made her do it lol. Maybe she has spring fever and wants to get outside and burn off some energy....?bunnies are a lot like toddlers, sometimes they just have a mind of their own. I think it's hilarious that she got in the garbage. My willow has been known to do that too, I even have her caught red handed on film!! She also steals and eats the cats kibbles too!:ph34r2

Spring fever? Maybe she's bored? How about getting her a bunch of cardboard boxes and putting some shredded paper in one or a phone book. Maybe she is just looking for something exciting to do. ;) Just like my kids, rabbits love new cardboard boxes - best toys ever!

I_heart_Fraggles wrote:
I will try the cardboard,she might really like that. What if she eats it though?
Then she'll get some fiber in her diet. No problem. Buns love to chew on cardboard, and it's not harmful. Cardboard is basically wood fiber - cellulose.

I'd stick with the usual corrugated brown boxes and avoid brightly painted or coated stock, just for concerns over the coatings.

If you have access to the output of a shredder, try filling a basket or cardboard box to provide both something to dig in and something to nibble. Shredded credit card offers and other junk mail are perfect toys, and I can't think of a better end for those things than to go through the alimentary canal of a rabbit.

7648_261038_060000003.jpg

My kids love to do the shredding themselves. I give them the junk mail in a box and they shred it (gives them a job!). I challenge any criminal to put that back together after the buns are done :)

Poor Fraggles, getting into trouble. Look at that face such INNOCENCE! :biggrin2:

Honestly, maybe she needs to be caged for a while every day just to let her chill for a while.

I was worried about them eating cardboard too. Winston use to eat alot of cardboard, he got really sick about a 2 years ago $900 later, I actually thought it was from the cardboard (he had a blockage). But reading what Mike said, I guess it's ok for them. Winston will be happy I will give him cardboard again. He loves the paper towel/toilet paper rolls.

Susan:)

Oohhh that is a good toy idea I never thought of, and how sad is that I have a shredder that desperately needs to be emptied.
I will have some happy buns!
My girls just spoiled them, I use to raise/breed parrots and would make my own toys and anything that was for a parrot had to be VERY safe, I no longer have parrots but I kept all the pieces to make the toys and My girls just made a whole bunch of toys for the buns. They are on their spring break, it gave them something to do.

Fraggles was in the garbage can this morning. Yes actually in the can, I was cleaning her cage and I heard thumping. I ignored it for awhile because she thumps over everything. Well it continued so I checked and somehow she had ended up in the can and could not get out. So I rescued her and now she smells and is grooming herself. If she is in her cage when I'm home she digs at the plastic tray until I let her out. She is just to spoiled I guess. But I do know someone who is not getting there banana slice today.

What is with buns in the trash? When I clean the bird cage Becky will try to "supervise" and get into the trash bag. Perhaps she's trying to get at the uneaten bird seed?

She also loves to dump the trash can over and dig through the trash. It can be really irritating and smelly.

I accidental gave my bun a phone book. I was using an old one to line the bottom of his litter box and forgot to take the phone book out of his area.I came back and he was just ripping the pages out one by one. Then binking all over with the paper in his mouth. Now I just tear the cover off and let him go to town! also toilet paper rolls and a cat ball. He also loved a old cloth doll and would binky with it in his mouth too. He never tore it up, just carried it around.

My bun did this, he's a big of a horror. It's not particularly cos he wants in the rubbish, he's just exploring his environment and doing bunny things. It would all make sense in a field but seems totally crazy in the context of a house. The solution is to provide so many exciting things that are okay to do, that she never has time to get around the the things that aren't okay. I've never found 'no' to be particularly successful. Rabbits tend to translate that as 'stop a minute and wait until I'm not looking then go for it' :)

So paper/ink and cardboard isn't dangerous?? Is this for sure? I used to not let my bunny play with those things in fear of the ink and stuff...

Most ink is now soy based. You can check with your newspaper/phone book company to be positive.

Plain, not colored and coated, cardboard is fine unless they are eating tonns of it. Most of the time buns will chew it up but not swallow. If they do swallow bits here and there it is no big deal.

My bunny ingests a decent amount of cardboard (and he's a nethie) and has never had any issues with it. He'll mostly shred and chew a bit. It's EVERYTHING ELSE that I worry about. He's eaten candles, rubber, foam, and what else -_-

If the cardboard has ink art it is fine as the ink is soy based. The ones you have to watch out for are the boxes with photo quality pictures as it is usually a plastic applique.

Latest posts

Back