Help my rabbit is having Sneezing attacks

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amycrow98

Reaction score
Since my doe gave birth 4 days ago she has been having sneezing attacks and snot on her nose how can I help. Will it get the babies sick

Ok, well that means your bun has an upper respiratory infection which can be contagious to other rabbits. Even though it's contagious, the babies may not contract an infection. It's a matter of waiting and seeing.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Respiratory/Bacterial/URI.htm

But the mom will need to be treated for it. If this is a pet rabbit, I would suggest finding an experienced rabbit vet to take your bun to. Your bun will need to be put on an appropriate rabbit safe antibiotic that also needs to be safe for her babies since she is nursing them. I'm not sure if baytril is safe for nursing animals, but if it is then this is the likely antibiotic the vet will prescribe, at least to begin with, though the vet may opt for a different one cause I know baytril can have a negative effect on young animals at least. SMZ TMP is another common one to give.

I would want it given for a minimum of 4 weeks, though longer may be needed if it is proving effective. You want to give antibiotics 2 weeks past the last of the symptoms subsiding. As long as the antibiotics aren't causing any negative side effects like mushy poop, then it's better to not stop them too early as bacterial infections in rabbits can be difficult to clear up, so longer treatments are usually needed. If you don't free feed a grass hay, I would suggest doing so as it will help reduce the chances of digestive issues from the antibiotic. Giving a probiotic may help as well. I prefer bene bac.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If you breed/show rabbits, then there are other precautions and actions you would need to take because of the contagious nature of this illness.

Latest posts

Back