Help ASAP! Ate houseplant..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ams1786

Reaction score
Hi. Left bunny as usual in rabbit proofed room for a bit, came back to find her somehow on very high rabbit proofed table. New trick? She's been hanging out there for months now and never got up there. There was a houseplant up there and she was munching away. Have no idea how much she ate - though I don't think it could have been more than a few leaves, but really don't know - and I have no idea what type it is. What do I do? It's 2 am and I've looked through rabbit-unfriendly plant lists but most don't have pics/I can't ID it. Does anyone know what the onset of symptoms would be/what I should do? Or even better, is anyone really good at identifying plants so I could post a pic? It's a very nondescript plant with nondescript green leaves. Any feedback greatly appreciated!

I'm not great with plants either, but if you wanna post a pic I can try to figure out what it might be... or maybe someone more plant-savvy will wander through...

also, if there's any smell to it (you might try tearing a leaf in half to see), that could potentially help identify it.

I'm not sure what the symptoms are if a toxic plant is ingested, it probably varies a bit from plant to plant. with many creatures, vomiting is often an indication but unfortunately rabbits lack the ability to vomit so it's probably much harder to tell with them. I would definitely watch her food intake and energy level to see if it differs from her normal routine.

There are literally thousands of species of plants that are used as houseplants, so it will be nearly impossible to make any suggestions or comments without a photo. Many house plants are indeed quite toxic, but many are not toxic at all. Fortunately the majority of toxic species taste bad and most rabbits will not eat them (unless really hungry). We cannot make rabbits vomit, so once ingested, there is little to be done other than supportive care and possible activated charcoal to help absorb the toxins. Few toxic plants have any specific antidotes.

Hi all - thanks for quick responses. Turns out it's gardenia, which doesn't seem to bother rabbits. Will keep an eye on her and re-proof room though. Thanks again.

ams1786 wrote:
Hi. Left bunny as usual in rabbit proofed room for a bit, came back to find her somehow on very high rabbit proofed table. New trick? She's been hanging out there for months now and never got up there.

Ripley just discovered this "new trick" of jumping up on every piece of furnature..

Glad to here Bunny is doing well. :)

Latest posts

Back