Head turn, not tilt

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Our 13 year old male rabbit is partially blind in his right eye and mostly blind in his left (not sure if that has anything to do with it) and has been that way for several months. He just recently started laying with his head curled back around to his left. All his life he would sleep laying or sitting straight. Now he sometimes tightly wraps back to the left, always the left. Sometimes when he is awake and sitting his head will slowly turn an inch or two to the left and then he will correct it back to center and it will then just go left again. He will sit and repeat that like he is scanning something.
He can sit straight at times and can move in a straight line; although he does tend to veer in that direction when he is in a hurry now.

Any ideas what would cause this change?

Something we just noticed is his eyes move slightly before his head moves. So I can't tell if he is seeing something move in his eyes and is trying to follow it with his head.

Took him to a nearby vet today that prescribed antibiotics, pain killer and anti-nausea medicine. Their guess was an inner ear issue.

I'm going to try to get him into a known Bunny vet that is about an hour away. I hate to stress him with that drive but he did pretty good with his cage on the passenger seat and getting his nosed rubbed on this trip.

I would have said maybe it has something to do with his eyes. If his left eye is painful for some reason (eg glaucoma, infected eye, abscess), this could cause the reaction of turning his head in the direction the pain is coming from.

An ear infection would be the next most likely cause, so it's good you got treatment going for that just in case. If it does end up being an ear infection, you'll want to make sure that treatment is long enough. Rabbits usually need a much longer treatment for infections. Usually 4-6 weeks minimum. And if you aren't seeing any improvement after the first week on antibiotics, it can mean that antibiotic may not be effective and a different one is needed. Also, if the pain relief isn't a NSAID like meloxicam, it's something I would suggest requesting, as it helps reduce inflammation as well.

Getting him seen by a very knowledgeable rabbit vet if at all possible, can sometimes make all the difference in getting the correct diagnosis and treatment. Might be a good idea to have his eyes checked too. It's still possible that could be the cause and not an ear infection. There's a good chance the vet may want to take xrays as well

www.medirabbit.com/EN/Neurology/Otit/otitis.htm

www.disabledrabbits.com/blindness.html

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/California

Thank you for the reply. He does turn in the direction of his worst eye. The vet put him on Metacam (meloxicam) and Baytril and Meclizine.

His eye movement is definitely horizontal. I haven't been able to get a video of it, he acts differently as soon as I get close enough with the camera.

Tomorrow I will call the two vets recommended by the rescue. We also have UC Davis's small animal clinic at their school of veterinary medicine not too far away, I'm not sure about their level of bunny expertise.

The Vet today said his ears looked clean but after a fair amount of struggling tonight I got these pictures The one that looks the cleanest (but still has a chunk of wax) is his left ear and that is the side he turns towards. The right ear is the other two shots, the one dark area in the right ear doesn't look good to me.
left.jpgright2.jpgright1.jpg

This is a very subtle version of his head movement. He always moves less when I'm recording.
View attachment vid1.mp4

That looks more like the eye scanning rabbits with poor vision do when they're trying to get a better look at something. It's very common in red eyed rabbits. With an ear infection or painful eye condition, I'd expect more of a consistent head tilt and/or circling going on. Where the rabbit is more inclined to keep the head turned or tilted towards the pain and doesn't immediately return back to center. And there will often be other signs of pain and movement problems.

Not that an ear infection or eye pain is completely ruled out, but I'd hate for you to go spend a bunch of money on expensive tests, only to find out it's just a common reaction that rabbits with poor vision have. It can also explain why your rabbit is turning mostly to the left, to get the one right eye with some vision, out front to try and see to the other side better.

I'd suggest doing some research into red eyed rabbits eye scanning. Especially watch some videos. Then decide if this is what you're seeing with your rabbit or not. If it's an ear thing or a painful eye condition (and not normal eye scanning), you should see a change and at least some improvement on the antibiotic and pain meds. But if you don't see any change at all, I'd be inclined to believe it's this eye scanning due to your rabbit having decreased vision. Though it's certainly possible both could be going on as well, an ear infection and eye scanning.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Eyes

https://vgr1.com/vision/

But if it isn't scanning but happening from ear or eye pain, UC Davis is a good place to go for more advance treatment and scans, if you need a better rabbit vet to see. Though cost wise, they're likely to be expensive, but will also likely provide better diagnosis and treatment.

The CT scan showed an ear infection and the early stages of brain infection. They weren't certain they were connected but wanted to get him on IV antibiotics quickly. Unfortunately, after he is done with those he will need surgery for the ear.
I forget what they called it but animals have a natural resistance to having their head moved and he only has that in one direction, which pointed them towards a neurological issue.

Our special needs' hind-limb paralysis girl resists having her head turned. She favors only one side. She was diagnosed with degenerative neurological over a year ago. She's a hospice-care bun.

@ta240 , I understand the quiet comment. Treasure each day with your senior boy.

Anyone have any tips on getting him to take the critical care food? He has discovered that he doesn't have to swallow the food. I use a tiny syringe to help avoid pushing too much in but he just basically blocks it and lets it flow back out of his mouth. Sometimes if I put the syringe between his front teeth he kind of chews on it and that seems to trigger him to eat the food but not always.
He really didn't like the anise flavor but isn't a fan of the apple-banana either.

When I syringe feed, I come through the corner of the mouth (the side) to get behind the front teeth. Then I'll sometimes wiggle the tip around in there a little, to try and stimulate tongue licking and chewing, which will usually be followed with swallowing as well. If that still doesn't get him to swallow, you'll have to try something else, because there's no safe way to force swallowing, as it risks aspiration, which is very dangerous.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Medicating_your_rabbit

One thing you could try is making a pellet mush from his usual pellets soaked in warm water. You can try offering it in a shallow dish or on a spoon. But if that won't work and you have to syringe feed it, a large tip syringe is needed as it's more chunky than the critical care and can clog the syringe tip.

If none of these work to get him safely swallowing, it's best to talk to your vet about what to do next.

Thanks for the reply. Sometimes I just have to be more stubborn than him and wait it out and he will finally swallow what he has. I'm sticking with a 1ml syringe to make it harder to give him too much at once. And it gives him a small pause in-between. Although it does take awhile to get 20ml into him that way.
It is a good sign though that today he was much stronger in trying to get away. And it is nice that after he doesn't hold a grudge.

Latest posts

Back