Hay Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tauntz

Reaction score
I have two Jersey wooly bunnies. I've had recommended to me by their vet getting a bale or half bale of hay & wanted more input from here. My questions:

1. How do you keep your bale of hay so that it stays fresh/good to feed? I don't have a barn with or without other animals.
2. How long does it keep?
3. How can you tell it is good quality hay?
4. What hays do you get for your buns?
5. Any questions I didn't ask but need to know the answers to?

Transportation is a big problem for me & I like to make sure my animals always have the foods they prefer available. Thanks for you for your time, patience & replies as I continue to learn to become an even better bunny mom.

1. Most people keep theirs in a rubbermaid style bin with holes (ventilation) in a dry area.
I keep mine inside in the basement wrapped in a sheet to keep stray hay contained, and just plunked in a rubbermaid underbed storage bin with no lid (well the bale is big...) I've had this bale for 2 years now.

2. A long as it stays dry and can "breathe" ... it keeps for a long time.

3. Look at it, it should be nice and green, like good hay you see at the pet store (it all comes from the same places....), stick your hand into the middle of it, if you can, it should be dry. Pluck a few stands, they should be mould free. Smell it, it should smell the way fresh yummy hay smells.. (sorry I love the smell) And it shouldn't be too dusty. You should also make sure that it was stored under cover.

4. Timothy, Orchard, Oat, Meadow, Botanicle... etc... (alfalfa if under 6mts or low weight or breeding/showing etc) My bale is orchard because I know my buns like the softer bits of hat. Oat/Timothy and the others tend to have more stiff stems in the mix, some bunnys like that, mine like the softer grassy bits.

5. Watch out for hay mixes. Often you will see bales that are just "horse hay" or whatever and they dont give an exact 1 grass hay description... Those are often mixes and have a good portion of alfalfa which is best to avoid for adult bunnies. The "Cut" you get honestly doesn't matter. I prefer 2nd cut as its usually softer and has less fertilizer(natural) on it. Expect to pay 5-20$ for a good bale. Typically found at feed stores, as well as local barns, or my favourite are feed transportation companys who purchase hay from out of state/province and import it to their local area to get the best and largest selection for their local customers.

Thank you! Great & helpful hay info! Sounds like it will be well worth it to be sure my bunnies have good quality hay at all times & not have to run to a pet store for a bag all the time! Will check around my area. may be able to find something nearby! I think the bag I buy at PetSmart is about $7 or $8, can't remember right now. Its their big bag of Kaytee Timothy hay.

We get orchard grass from Dr Fosters and Smith--any order over 49 gets free delivery, so we get 50 pounds at a time. Great quality and no problem with allergies that Timothy would fire up.

Thanks, Nancy! I've ordered through them. Takes about a week if I use the free shipping. Will check it out.

:threadhijacked: I'm jumping in real quick to ask if bermuda is fine to feed adult bunnies full-time just like timothy. I'm pretty sure it is but wanted to get some confirmation. There are some hay growers close by that sell bermuda, not timothy. I had been driving pretty far to get timothy.

...just planning ahead for my next bale purchase.

We get orchard grass from Dr Fosters and Smith--any order over 49 gets free delivery, so we get 50 pounds at a time. Great quality and no problem with allergies that Timothy would fire up.

I am so going to have to see if my allergies react to Orchard Grass! Thanks for posting this, Im pretty allergic to Timothy hay, I've just been sucking it up haha

:threadhijacked: I'm jumping in real quick to ask if bermuda is fine to feed adult bunnies full-time just like timothy. I'm pretty sure it is but wanted to get some confirmation. There are some hay growers close by that sell bermuda, not timothy. I had been driving pretty far to get timothy.

Yup, again just watch for those that have alfalfa mixed in :)

Any grass hay is fine for rabbits. With grain hays like oat, you have to make sure to get an early cut, that doesn't have seed heads yet.

Latest posts

Back