Hawk anxiety?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Friday_Witch

Reaction score
Hi to everybody.
We live in the NYC. Before we live in the apartment without the balcony, and my bunny is very homely person, so she never walk outside. I actually took her couple times to walk on the grass by our building, but she is so afraid of such things, and shake after this, so I gave up.

Now we move to apartment with the balcony (its in Queens). I was happy that she will be able to breath outside air. We put the strong metal net fence around the balcony pretty tight, so she will not able to fall out. Also I have many plants on balcony, so it's cozy environment.

Now I thought I prepared to let her walk "outside". But we saw the hawk, huuuuge hawk few blocks away sitting on the fire stairs. It was shock. I have never seen the hawks before in this area, and never saw it after this particular hawk. But now I have a paranoia that she might be attacked by hawk if I let her walk outside.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want her to walk for my fun; but she is 6 years old, and she don't have much fun in apartment, mostly prefer to be under the bed. Toys also don't make her very interested. But I know she is very curious bunny, so she like to go in rooms that use to be closed and so on.

Is that real for hawk to attack bunny on balcony? We have other balcony on top of us and it must be not easy for hawk (if there any) to get something from balcony (its not the open space like grass field). I plan to put nylon trellis around the balcony, so the plants will climb and also it will protect balcony from any birds. But is that durable for hawk?

My boufriend said its ridiculous, because its very low probability to see hawk again, but my bunny is everything for me.

So, guys. What do you think. Is that secure to walk on balcony?

I have silkie chickens and know that a hawk would eat one at it's first chance. Bunnies are prey animals and know when a bird of prey is overhead. I would cover your balcony with some netting to keep them from terrorizing your rabbit.

I agree with Channhas. Birds of prey are strong animals and if they see a bunny they will definitely go and try to get him. I'd put some netting over the top or even get some chicken wire to cover it.

I'm the paranoid sort, so i'd always take into account even an unlikely scenario. You just never know. So yeah protect your bun. And as a fellow NYCer, Queens as well, make sure you keep the bun indoors for July 4th. I knew a person who's doe destroyed her litter because the fireworks spooked her. Although rare, buns can get spooked to death...

Latest posts

Back