Have a couple questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bethybuns

Reaction score
[align=center]I was wondering if there's someone on this forum that is experienced with rabbits and doesn't mind being messaged by me with questions. I'm new to bunny owning and had read/researched quite a bit before I got my bunny but now AGAIN I started to research/read more and have came across a lot of conflicting stuff about rabbits.

I have lots of questions that I would like more straight answers to versus general answering. I'll just post a couple questions don't want to ask for to much. xD

Basic info about my bunny (Beth) - (so that its easier to get more straightforward answers)

Weight: around 1 lb
Breed: Lionhead mix (guessing /pokes pic)
Indoor/Outdoor: Only Indoor
* She gets to run out of her cage for around 2 - 3 hrs, a day.

Questions:
1.) Should I feed her alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets
OR
timothy hay and timothy pellets?

*I've been seeing tons of conflicting answers on this. :c

2.) Am I allowed to feed her a little bit of bunny safe veggies?

*I had first read that I could but then I read/looked around some more for more answers on this topic and found that some people said veggies should only be introduced when rabbits are over 6months.

~~~ As of now theses are my main concerns. Really hope someone could help me out. ^^[/align]

To be honest, everyone is going to have their opinion but many people have used all the different methods of feeding and the rabbits do ok.

The thing with the alfalfa is that they shouldn't get too much of it after they are full grown. But its good for babies. You could feed alfalfa pellets and timothy hay now and she would be fine or alfalfa pellets and alfalfa hay. I usually do alfalfa pellets and timothy hay/orchard grass.

As far as the veggies people are going to give you both answers. I have always given it to mine with no problems. I would start with green leafy plants first and see how she does. Parsley and dandelions are good. Just watch for diarrhea. Most rabbits won't have a problem.

Don't get yourself too paranoid. I'm sure you're doing fine. :)

As a breeder - if mom hasn't had veggies - I personally like to hold off on them till they're closer to 4 months of age. Then I introduce them a small amount at a time - like a half dollar size piece of Romaine one day....the next day twice that much - and every three days or so I will add a small amount of a different veggie. So let's say by day 12 or so the bunny is getting a bit of cilantro, a bit of romaine lettuce, a baby carrot and maybe a tiny bit of banana or something.

I like alfalfa when they're young - say to five months or so and then half and half a bit with another hay and then I use orchard hay for my adults with alfalfa as an occasional treat.

I would feed alfalfa pellet and a mix if alfalfa and timothy for now. When she gets to be about 6 months, you can cut out the alfalfa hay and switch to timothy pellets if you would like. Timothy pellets are no totally necessary if you are only giving a small amount (1/4 cup or less for a lionhead) and if you are giving timothy hay.

I would hold off an veggies for at least another month. Young rabbits have delicate digestive tracts and too much new stuff can upset them. Once you get the pellets and hay sorted out and she is used to that, then start slowly introducing veggies.

Our vet told us that alfalfa is great for a growing bunnies as it's much higher in calcium and protein which is good for both bone and muscle development. We were told to cut it off at six months. Also told to start out veggies at four months gradually. And, :yeahthat:

Thanks everyone for the replies. Ha ill try no to worry so much I just want the best for Beth xD I think ill go with mixing alfalfa pellets with timothy pellets and the same with the hay, so she gets the best of both worlds. Then after shes six months ill takeout alfalfa from her deit. Hope this is okay!

Latest posts

Back