Has anyone heard of bunny hopping/show jumping?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooh that sounds like fun, I might have a go atthat. I know Parsnip can already jump quite high because he managed tojump out of his run and jump into his hutch one day when I was out ofthe room!! Little monkey!

I really can't wait for a day when there areoffical rules though. Its really hard if you are wanting tocompete cause there are like no set rules. I trained Flopsybased on Rabbit Hopping instead of agility because rabbit agilityrequires taking off the leash and harness. For about a year Ihave been planning this really big rabbit hopping/agilityshow. Maybe about 5 years I can host the first offical USArabbit tornament. Haha. Trust me it would rock! Like nicehurdles and such.

Some rabbits take to the sport quicker than others. Flospydidn't need to be taught he caught on the moment I set him in front ofthe hurdle. Fluffy on the other hand rather sit and groom oreat grass. (That will change by the end of the week.)

I am really big on dog agility though. I know all the rules,standard height classes, rules on contact zones, and such.I've been specating at shows for two years now. Veryexciting. My favorites though where the Eukanuba AKC 2005 and2006 Championships. You miss alot if you just watch it ont.v. much more fun in person. A friend and I had trained adog but unfortuatly the dog was relocated. I still have allthe equipent for it. A few weeks ago I was building andplanning on making smaller equipent for Flopsy...

---------------
Well after reading this I'm in the mood for creating those jumps. Byeall nice topic. I excited with all the interest in thissport. If you hear of any events in Florida please let meknow!

2006AKCDogShow002.jpg

AKC Show. (If Mods want me to del this please ask and I'll do it)

2-20-2005Floppsyhurdlejump.jpg

Flopsy jumping not even a month after learning how to. (Alsogive them enough leash unlike I did. I didn't except him to just sofast.)

-Ashley:bunnydance: & Flopsy :bunnyangel: & Fluffy:brownbunny

wow that sounds gr8 but i wish some1 would do 1 in england. america is a bit 2 far 4 a bunny and i 2 travel 4 a competion!!! lol

hope it all goes well

how high r ure bunnies jumping?

Fluffy is a high jumper, he just doesn't like to when he is on a leash :disgust:

Flopsy could jump up to at least two feet and would jump nine hurdles without pausing for instruction. :hug2He was my boy

I have a lot(well almost 20). Feelfree to use any of the ones on Flopsy's blog. Just pleaselink back to the thead(or have his name). I have just acouple more of him jumping that I haven't posted yet. I'llpost them soon by next week.

I wasen't too worried that you would. lol

I really like that video you have of Dandelion starting off with just pvc.

Ok, I tried to put a harness on Gretchen today (since I read that's the way you start them) and she totally freaked!!

It was figure 8 type harness and a leash. When she figuredout that it stopped her from going places she started running to getaway, which made things worse. I was afraid that she wasgoing to hurt herself so I took it off.

Any suggestions?

Didn't think of that. Gee, that's whatI would do with a puppy. It's funny how all common senseseems to fly out the window when it comes to rabbits.

i would start just putting the harness on withno lead. get her nice and calm by stoking her but make sure you dontpush the harness into her. then let her hop about for a short whilewith it on. gradually increase the length of time she wears it and thenclip the lead back on. finally you can start walking around wiht her onthe lead but be carful not to pull her too much at first!

hope this helps

Back