Harness suggestions!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunMommaD

Reaction score
Ok so we are approaching summer time and altho I don't plan on taking cookie out in our neighborhood... Because of loose dogs and such... We do have a few long weekend trips planned and possibly a trip to the beach in the fall and we are taking cookie of course ;) SO I'd like to get a harness for him! So he can be out and sit with me while we are driving and still be safe AND! I have this dream of letting him dig in the sand at the beach :D so... I know nothing about harnesses and buns...

I need one that is easily put on... As he doesn't like to be held much (at home, he's a snuggle bug when we are in the car or out and about lol)

And one that will be safe and snug, I don't want anything he could get out of!

He is about 5/5.5 lbs :)

Suggestions? And pics of what works for you would be awesome!!

I use an H cat harness. They have a strap that goes around the neck and one that goes around the belly and they are connected along the back, the ring for the leash is either in the middle or at the back end (toward the tail). They are usually sold for cats, but a kitten one should fit most rabbits. There are some different brands and it doesn't really matter what one you get as long as it fits well. These ones are good as you set the size and don't have to re adjust it unless your rabbit gets bigger, the clip is on the top, so no need to go under the neck to do it up.
cat_harness_lead_sm.gif

You do want to avoid harnesses that will tighten while on the rabbit. These are usually all one strap that wraps around. The danger is if one part is pulled, it can strangle the rabbit. Rope harnesses tend to be too thin, so can also choke a rabbit. Some kinds don't fit very well and a rabbit can slip out easily, step in ones are particularly bad.

Awesome! Thanks!

One question, what is the proper fit Gage? Ie: for a dog color they say you should only be able to fit 2 fingers between the neck and collar... What is it for bunnys? To ensure it is snug enough but not too tight?

The fit should be a bit looser than a dog. Maybe 3-4 finger. Usually unless it is really loose they don't slip out. You don't want to too loose, especially around the neck as they might get a hold of it can chew the strap.

I will usually just put it on, but I then do something with them. This helps distract them from having the harness and can make it more fun for them. Even if it is just taking him outside into a pen or safe area, it can be enough of a distraction. I would not attach the leash or go somewhere that is not escape proof until he is more comfortable and you have the fit right and are sure he can't wiggle out.

Latest posts

Back