Half of a Quad Passed in two months.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspen’sbuns

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I’ve posted a fair few times on here, about my quad of four buns. Unfortunately, at the end of Jan, one of my boy buns very unexpectedly passed. At the end of March, one of my girl buns became very sick very quick, and also had to be put to sleep. They both had what was suspected to be internal abscesses, and they are both from the same breeder. Our vet suspects it was a genetic predisposition.

My question however, is to do with my remaining two buns. I have a girl and a boy left. My boy I’ve had for nearly two years, and my girl I have had for just over 3.
They are both getting along totally fine still, however they aren’t their happy selves. They will run for food at night time still, but that’s pretty much the only time I will see them very excited still.
My boy bun hasn’t flopped out at all since the most recent bun passing. My girl bun is taking it a bit better, she will still sit out in her run in the sun and everything.

I’m unsure as to whether I should bond them again, to create a quad, or even just a trio?
My quad was perfect. They wouldn’t even mount or anything through spring, and now it’s all been torn apart in a matter of a few months.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? I want to do what’s best for my buns, but I think my woe is blocking my judgement at the moment.
I would love to hear from someone else

I would suggest giving them some more time to adjust. The 2nd bun's passing has been pretty recent and it can take some rabbits much longer than others to adjust to the change. One rabbit I had took about half year (possibly longer) to get over the loss of his mate. With 2 rabbits passing in such a short time, that is quite a sudden change. So my suggestion would be to give them more time.

Trying to introduce new rabbits already would just add to their stress (in my opinion). If you decide to add more rabbits, I'd wait several months minimally.

You were in fact, quite fortunate to have successfully bonded 4 rabbits. That's great they got along so wonderfully. That is not common nor the norm. Some say that pairs are actually more ideal. The addition of another rabbit (or two) could completely upset the bond of the current pair. The chances of having another quad all get along is probably statistically less likely to work out. But whatever you ultimately decide, I'd give your remaining two buns plenty more time to adjust to their new circumstances.

Latest posts

Back